Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old PSU fried - looking for replacement (SeaSonic or Corsair)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Old PSU fried - looking for replacement (SeaSonic or Corsair)

Hi,

Going by the LTT tier list, I've narrowed my choices to the following (prices and warranties as they are where I live):
    1. Corsair TX750M = 140$, 5 years warranty. It got a near-perfect score on this very site. [H]ardOCP had mostly good things to say as well, but Tom's Hardware had some complaints.
    2. Corsair RM650i = 155$, 5 years warranty. Again, excellent score on this site. Pretty much the same on TechPowerUp and eTekniks.
    3. Seasonic FOCUS PLUS Platinum 550PX = 150$, 7 year warranty. [H]ardOCP had mostly good things to say, and so did PC Perspective.
    4. SeaSonic PRIME ULTRA 650W 80+ Gold SSR-650GD2 = 145$, 12 year warranty. The 12-year warranty is very enticing but I couldn't find any specific review for it, only an aggregate review that included it among a ton of other models over at hardware.info. They did grant the entire series their highest reward though.

My build is rather modest, requiring less than 400W, but these are the cheapest tier 1 PSUs I can get where I live, and I want to have a top quality PSU that will last me many years and upgrades.
    I'm willing to pay the premium for it.

Thanks!

[Disclaimer - I posted this question on a different forum, but they literally refused to answer me on the grounds of my build not being "worthy" of a tier 1 PSU ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Stop calling them tier 1 PSUs, please.

That's misused nomenclature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

$140 for the TX750M is the best value, but surely lower wattage versions are available? TX650M or even TX550M are just as good, all you need and should be cheaper.

As far as Tom's review, it not only helps to read the conclusion page (reading the whole review is better), but actually understanding the complaints.

Hold-up time
    The PSU did not maintain a 16ms (one AC power cycle at 60Hz) hold up at 100% load. But you won't be at full load with your rig. Naturally, a PSU with larger bulk caps would have a longer hold up time.

Ripple at +12V could be lower under full load
    Could be better.... but still very good. Just not by the standards of PSUs that have capacitors in the cables (the TX-M does not have caps in the cables).

Fan profile goes wild under tough conditions
    Known issue. There is an air gap between the fan's frame and the PSU top cover because the Corsair fan has a round frame (fans typically have a square frame). This reduces static pressure requiring the fan to spin faster than others under higher temperatures.

3.3V rail's transient response
    Non-issue for real world use.

Single EPS connector
    Do you need more than one?

Another suggestion: RMx? I see you listed RMi, but RMi is ALWAYS more expensive because it has the monitoring and upgraded fan. RMx should be substantially cheaper.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

MartyMcFly (06-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Known issue. There is an air gap between the fan's frame and the PSU top cover because the Corsair fan has a round frame (fans typically have a square frame). This reduces static pressure requiring the fan to spin faster than others under higher temperatures.
    Plans to rectify this?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
    Old PSU fried - looking for replacement

I want to have a top quality PSU that will last me many years and upgrades.
    If it is just capacitors you could rebuild it; that's what Doc Brown would do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 06-06-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you so much jonnyGURU! I've been trying to get an answer like this on the other forum but 2 days and 27 replies later, all I got was explanations how my build sucks and I should get a lower quality PSU and save the money for a new GPU (even though I haven't played computer games for over two years, and I don't have a money problem to get a new GPU if I wanted to regardless of the the PSU I chose). But I digress.

Stop calling them tier 1 PSUs, please. That's misused nomenclature.
    Forgive my ignorance, how should I call PSUs that appear on the top tier in the tier list?

$140 for the TX750M is the best value, but surely lower wattage versions are available? TX650M or even TX550M are just as good, all you need and should be cheaper.
    You're right, I can get the TX550M for about 105$ (only 5 year warranty though). But the LTT tier list says only TX650W and up is "top tier" (and for me the TX650 is actually more expensive than the TX750W due to a different store carrying them). Based on your previous comment regarding the tiers, I gather you disagree?

RMx? I see you listed RMi, but RMi is ALWAYS more expensive because it has the monitoring and upgraded fan. RMx should be substantially cheaper.
    Right again, I can get the RM650x but it would only save me ~15$ (again different store) so I figured the FDB fan would be worth it.

Finally, there's the SeaSonic PRIME Gold. I'm wondering if the 12 year warranty (and presumably better quality) is worth the 40$ premium over the TX550M?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, how should I call PSUs that appear on the top tier in the tier list?
    Folks here tend to take a dim view of tier lists, though regardless, just use higher end PSUs - there are units that are "T2" on the list that would be better than "T1" units, mostly due to a difference in views on what's the most important metrics plus a difference in experience levels.

You're right, I can get the TX550M for about 105$ (only 5 year warranty though). But the LTT tier list says only TX650W and up is "top tier" (and for me the TX650 is actually more expensive than the TX750W due to a different store carrying them). Based on your previous comment regarding the tiers, I gather you disagree?
    The TX550m through 750m are all of similar quality, it needs to be updated on the LTT thread (It was originally changed due to an anandtech review, but cybernetics has the 550w as similar to the 750 in electrical performance and cybernetics use better equipment).

The TX550m has 7 year warranty, the length does not changed based on wattage.

Right again, I can get the RM650x but it would only save me ~15$ (again different store) so I figured the FDB fan would be worth it.
    How much is an RM550x? 650w is kinda overkill for 99% of users.

Finally, there's the SeaSonic PRIME Gold. I'm wondering if the 12 year warranty (and presumably better quality) is worth the 40$ premium over the TX550M?
    I'd say no - the PRIME Gold isn't that much better. You may also be giving up on cable quality (Hey Jon, can I confirm whether the TXm (and CXm for that matter) has the beefed up PCIe connector on the PSU end for supporting high wattage graphics cards from a single cable?)
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

8. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomegamer919 For This Useful Post:

MartyMcFly (06-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    The TX550m has 7 year warranty, the length does not changed based on wattage.

How much is an RM550x? 650w is kinda overkill for 99% of users.

In some cases it does, look at EVGA G2 and G3 series, lower wattage models have a 7-year warranty while 750W models and above do get a 10-year warranty. Probably because they are manufactured by a different OEM or because of the different platform idk

Now I guess he meant the old 2011 80+ bronze colour label TX series, because I think he said TX 550- TX 650 and all modern TX models are semimodular (TXM) and old TX versions have in fact, a 5-year warranty

And I still don't get how they come to those power consumption numbers :/
    Last edited by COFASA; 06-06-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: needed to add some info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see the point of going over 550W, unless you are planning to install a high end graphics card in the future it is self-defeating

Bitfenix formula
    Bitfenix whisper M
    Seasonic PRIME
    Seasonic PRIME ultra
    Seasonic platinum fanless
    Corsair RMx
    Corsair RMi

all excellent power supplies, get the best you can afford, and I agree with you, buying a VGA now is dumb, prices are sky-high

From those I'd go corsair rmi, rmx or seasonic prime. Because of the 10-12 year warranty and because they are super quiet.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to COFASA For This Useful Post:

MartyMcFly (06-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COFASA View Post
    I don't see the point of going over 550W, unless you are planning to install a high end graphics card in the future it is self-defeating

Bitfenix formula
    Bitfenix whisper M
    Seasonic PRIME
    Seasonic PRIME ultra
    Seasonic platinum fanless
    Corsair RMx
    Corsair RMi

all excellent power supplies, get the best you can afford, and I agree with you, buying a VGA now is dumb, prices are sky-high

From those I'd go corsair rmi, rmx or seasonic prime. Because of the 10-12 year warranty and because they are super quiet.
    Whisper M is just as quiet as an RMx/i and is a newer platform, plus it uses 2 6+2 pin PCIe cables instead of 1 with 2 connectors (at least the RMx/i have a better connector on the PSU end to handle higher current draw), it does only have a 7 year warranty though.

Personally I'd say Whisper 450M -> Whisper 550M/Corsair RM550x(i) > Seasonic (all of them) > Formula.
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

13. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomegamer919 For This Useful Post:

MartyMcFly (06-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

What are the upgrades that you're thinking of?
    Because for your current PC a Corsair CX450 is perfect.
    https://1pc.co.il/mobile/product-324...d_ATX_PSU.aspx

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

awesomegamer919 (06-07-2018), MartyMcFly (06-07-2018)