Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EVGA G1 Plus 850W Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks, your point is clearer now. I'm assuming Honda cars are considered reliable, and Jugo cars are considered unreliable and quick to break?

Here comes my point. Honda cars aren't reliable because they are Honda. Honda cards are reliable because they are made of reliable parts. Jugo cars aren't bad just because their name is "Jugo", they are bad because their parts (and other things in car making process) are bad.

If Jugo suddenly made a car manufactured from perfect parts, very safe, with little maintenance required, and (insert other things best cars have), then it would be a great car right? It wouldn't be bad because it has Jugo name on it, it would be great because it's a great car.

When buying PSUs, we tell people to look at load regulation, voltage regulation, transient response, ripple, protections, and all that, because that's what makes a good power supply. If Logisys suddenly made a PSU that is better than Corsair AXi in all aspects, then I'd buy it, because I don't care who makes a PSU - I care if the PSU is good.

People who say "Corsair RMx and EVGA G2 PSUs are great" are right, but those PSUs aren't great because they have a particular brand name - they are great because they have good protections, ripple etc etc.

I can't say brand means nothing because things like customer support matter too, but the main point is, brands don't make a product good - the product itself makes the product good.

The idea of manufacturer reputation is controversial, and I agree that it's hard to see if the PSU will still live after 5 or 10 years with a single review, no matter how detailed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Don't get me wrong, but good parts are not enough. One could use the best capacitors, but if the design did not have them well cooled they still would not last long or if the design had then carry too much ripple current they would still be at a disadvantage; and this would take time to get noticed. I think the point is how does one know things are going to last? The technology moves so quickly one can't pick a model that has been proven in the field, as by then it is obsolete. What is left but reputation? It is not perfect, but it works well enough (my car has done more than 200,000 mi and still does 45 mpg)

For me one thing that makes a good power supply is that when it fails there is no collateral damage, and this goes beyond 'perform well and live long'. Another thing is that it should be easy to repair when it does break (I moved from Mac to PC for this reason)

It reminds me of a story about Ford in the days of the model T; it is said that they sent engineers to dump yards around the country to figure out which parts were over-engineered so they could save money there and put it elsewhere. Just throwing in good parts in the wrong places is just going to make the unit more expensive.

One of my favorite fixes is to look up a part that needs replacing and finding it has been superseded by a superior design; even the original Engineers needed time to locate the devices weak points and attend to them. Only those companies maintaining a reputation are going to do this. Along these lines I tend to replace secondary capacitors from companies with a bad reputation with ones from companies with a good reputation, sometimes proactively, not even waiting for the originals to fail. Knowing the fixed unit will now probably live longer than the original gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and helps me sleep better at night ;-) I have a small tray of failed capacitors I keep on my desk, and there are a lot of LTec and CapXon, replaced with Sanyo, Panasonic, Nichicon and others. I choose the replacements by past reputation; how else?

A device is more than the sum of its parts; the difference is the Engineers and Honda has them, Jugo does not. A good Engineer may only put 85C capacitors on the primary side of a power supply, knowing that is all that is needed, and that something else will probably fail before they do. A great Engineer will figure out how to not even need good parts perhaps by using a design that does not have a large ripple current and so does not need great secondary capacitors.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 06-09-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Thanks, your point is clearer now. I'm assuming Honda cars are considered reliable, and Jugo cars are considered unreliable and quick to break?

Here comes my point. Honda cars aren't reliable because they are Honda. Honda cards are reliable because they are made of reliable parts. Jugo cars aren't bad just because their name is "Jugo", they are bad because their parts (and other things in car making process) are bad.

If Jugo suddenly made a car manufactured from perfect parts, very safe, with little maintenance required, and (insert other things best cars have), then it would be a great car right? It wouldn't be bad because it has Jugo name on it, it would be great because it's a great car.

When buying PSUs, we tell people to look at load regulation, voltage regulation, transient response, ripple, protections, and all that, because that's what makes a good power supply. If Logisys suddenly made a PSU that is better than Corsair AXi in all aspects, then I'd buy it, because I don't care who makes a PSU - I care if the PSU is good.

People who say "Corsair RMx and EVGA G2 PSUs are great" are right, but those PSUs aren't great because they have a particular brand name - they are great because they have good protections, ripple etc etc.

I can't say brand means nothing because things like customer support matter too, but the main point is, brands don't make a product good - the product itself makes the product good.

The idea of manufacturer reputation is controversial, and I agree that it's hard to see if the PSU will still live after 5 or 10 years with a single review, no matter how detailed.
    Andyson?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W