Thread: How's this Sparkle Platinum rated PS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How's this Sparkle Platinum rated PS?

I found a nearly new HP computer on Craigslist that stated it needed a new motherboard, and that it died 2 years ago; the thing is mint. Guy was quoted $200 from Micro Center to fix it, and said forget it and sold it to me for $25. It has an i5-4690S, 8GB RAM and no HDD (I have 3 spare SSD's). My plan was to build a dirt cheap gaming PC for a friend with something like a GTX 1060 video card.

I got it home and sure enough, the CPU and case fans would spin for a few seconds and stop, then again, and stop...forever. After turning the power supply off, the computer would make a bunch of beeps and shut off.

Hmmm...I have a spare power supply sitting here, what if...just what if...BAM! The computer works like a dream! I do feel kind of bad for the guy that sold it, but if you saw the size of his house you may not feel as bad. That's how I'm justifying it.

So, 3 years ago I picked up two of these Sparkle Platinum rated 400w power supplies off a Newegg Shell Shocker for $24.99 shipped:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817103083

I have one in a low powered HTPC and one just sitting here. I do not mind spending $40-$50 on a better power supply that can handle the i5-4690s (65w TDP) and something like a 1060.

With that, do you think this is a quality unit that I should go ahead and use? Does being Platinum rated typically indicate it's of high build quality?

I did find a few posts on the net about it but nothing with much info:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=7&t=1380851

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsal...um_2499_shell/

Thanks for any input!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Open up the original HP power supply to see if any of the capacitors are bad; you might be able to fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mazeroth View Post
    With that, do you think this is a quality unit that I should go ahead and use? Does being Platinum rated typically indicate it's of high build quality?

Quality is quite decent. Sparkle Power Inc is a division of FSP and they are almost always consistent on the quality front. Not the leaders of the pack by any means but the build quality is generally solid and they don't normally have units that perform outside the ATX spec. With that said, the unit does have some big faults. It's FSP Aurum 92+ based, and should perform on par with something like the Antec Earthwatts Platinum. Which for the price you paid is fine, for the price they normally retail, not so much.

Also, 80+ or other efficiency ratings are not indicative of quality. They just measure the efficiency of the unit, and sometimes those 80+ ratings are faked so they can't always be trusted. The design of the unit you have is a budget design with good build quality but nothing great, but that build quality comes from FSP's experience in the market and not from the efficiency rating. There have been really poorly build 80+ Gold and platinum units in the past. It all depends on what OEM builds the power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for replies, guys. I went ahead and installed it. What's the worst that can happen?