Thread: 3x dead gpu's in 7 years! :(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down 3x dead gpu's in 7 years! :(

Hey all!!!

So in the 7 years I've had my computer I've went through 3 graphics cards, the latest one was an old radeon from a friend that he only gave me like 2 weeks ago (And I'd binged on PoE 2 since then!)

Anyway, I'm not the best when it comes to computers. So I may have been using msi afterburner years ago when the first 2 cards died (they died years apart), and I had been using it recently when my other card finally died, and now my friends one yesterday. So I've bought a second hand gtx 660 ti, and just afraid I'm going to kill it as well.

So from when I have been kind of monitoring temperatures, the GPU never got above 60ish, and the 70 highest I think was 70, but I THINK that when I had cpuid monitor the (Maybe the watt?? not sure about the volt) was fluctuating a fair bit. Really not sure.

Anyway, that's why I'm here. Could it be something on my motherboard that is killing my cards, or, could it be a slightly faulty PSU? Or could it be bad luck? Or could only slightly OC on msi been the culprit? Help me please detectives! I've taken the cover off the PSU, there was some dust, not a hell of a lot, and only one big fan which was working.

i7 -2600
    asus p8p67 pro
    Coolermaster 800w silent pro gold
    Cards that have been murdered over the years - 2x gtx 660 and a radeon gpu

Also, I'm looking to foa full upgrade within the next year to
    i7 -8700k
    strix 1080 ti
    asrock taichi/gaming k6

But I think if I'm going to buy a new PSU for this computer, I'll buy the same one I'll use for that RIG, so currently I'm just waiting on ones with deals (THERE ARE SO MANY PSU's and deals!), I had originally been looking for a 750 season focus plus gold, but seen this EVGA Supernova G2 650W reviewed by jonny, any advice to help narrow things down??? Or anyone in Australia know of a good deal atm??

This is the one I'm thinking about now - which I can get for $150 AUD on ebay
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=429
    Where as before I was planning on - which is around the same price
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=524

Thanks in advance guys!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Australia

So its entirely possible that it was just the heat (or bad airflow) that might have killed the Cards.
    Its not certain that it might have anything to do with the PSU; though its on the older side.

But you also do not need a 650 or even 750W for THAT setup. A good quality 450W is more than enough...

Anyway:
    What case do you use?
    What Fans??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of the time it was an open sided case. But a coolermaster haf xm with stock fans. Really not sure if heating was the problem, like I said the temps were all under 70

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

What do the capacitors look like on the video cards?