Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moheban79 View Post
    I think its across the board on all models from what I have read.
    SOHO only
    ANTEC HCP (Delta) is the best yet
    It is a universal power supply.
    But it's out of production.
    Last edited by And_corp; 09-18-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I just bought one off of Newegg. Hopefully my psu doesn't suffer this issue and that Seasonic has addressed the problem. Surprised how small of a psu it is compared to my last one. Also surprised how fast it took to get to me. I mean it literally took 24 hours to arrive using Shoprunner!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know the difference in how power is delivered to a gpu via a PSU to 6/8 pin single cable vs a 6/8 pin double ended (2 plug) cable? I noticed that the single version has 6 wires coming from the psu and the double ended one has 8 wires using more leads from the psu modular connector. If your using a single cable per pci-e gpu plug would the 8 wire cable be more stable and better at power delivery than the 6 wire cable? Only downside is the hanging extra 8 pin plug that could get caught up in fan blades..

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

If you aren't mining, or say, running a Titan Z, Radeon 295 x 2, the differences between cable types aren't worth losing sleep over. So just plug in what you have & get some rest. I, however, prefer the best wiring possible in the several prestige builds I own, & I do lose sleep over questions like this & more. Personally, I build my own cables here. In all cases I prefer an 8-wire that does not have a side jumper 6, or 6+2

If pressed between having to choose between a 6-wire, or an 8-wire with side jumper (aka a 'pigtail'), I'd 1st ask what wire gauge it is. To me, a 16AWG is better than an 18AWG, so whichever was fatter I'd use it. If both were 18AWG, I'd choose the 8-wire with jumper. If aesthetics mattered, I'd choose the 6-wire last

PEG.JPG

Above is a 6-wire with a jumper 2pin (left), an 8-wire ribbon (right) & beneath purports to be a (universal?) wiring diagram

We see in the diagram, inside of the 8pin / 6+2, are two sense wires (blu / grn). That's x3 12v, x3 ground, x2 'sense grounds'

Therefore, in a 6-wire cable, the expectation is that x8 volt/ground points will conduct through just 6 wires, which is why I prefer the 8-wire cable instead. Said another way, & as you figured out, the two sense wire points ground out through the 3 main ground wires, which, on paper at least, 'could bottle neck' your three main grounds which is why I don't like them. That potential bottle neck is so small though, see my estimation below ...

I prefer the 8-wire cable instead, because I want my initial x3 12v, x3 ground to each be on a discrete wire, I do not want the x2 sense wires to be 'parasitic' through my wires. The 8-wire cable delivers my needs, or rather, is a balm for my OCD

What power supply do you have; I take it, it offers both a 6-wire + an 8-wire w/side jumper design. Your concern is 'which is better at power delivery'

My opinion, best to worst: 8-wire, 8-wire w/side jumper, 6-wire --> (the 6-wire w/side jumper design exists also)

The 'problem' is, as I see it, is that not enough watts flow through consumer GPUs for any significant difference to be discovered between the three cable designs, 'which delivers the most power' isn't worth discovering; if you did discover it, it may be 0.0001watts. It may be 0.1w. It may be 1watt. The answer is so small (statistically insignificant) it isn't worth knowing, or losing sleep over. Modern GPUs don't consume insane power, we're not running enough power for the design difference to actually matter, so you're free to plug in what you like, it'll get the juice it needs just the same from whatever they sent in your pouch. If you're mining or running beast cards, just make sure they run off two dedicated cables, & not one + jumper (double-ended)

'Technically' which is best, is almost not worth the conversation, that's my opinion. Unless you're a perfectionist, in which case, the conversation's worthwhile & I offered the other opinions above
    Last edited by Cass-Olé; 09-28-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Got to be 18 Guage

Cass,

Thanks for the detailed write up. Even though this thread is about the 850 watt model I purchased the 1000 watt Titanium model last week. According to Oklahomawolf who reviewed it I dont believe they are 16 guage as he stated he prefered 16 with anything over a killowatt. Also I am sure that my two 1080s wont stress the wires or affect stability but what about if I overclock? Also next year I might want to get a couple 2080 ti's, when price comes down, and have you seen the power consumption figures for that card??!! Its like 350 watts a card!!

In any case I had to buy an extra 6+2 single cable as I needed to use five of them. One went to the motherboard to augment the pcie slots with extra power and four to my gpus. Would have used the 6+2 X 2 eight wire but that unused connector dangling not look nice..

Do you now btw how I could get 4 custom 8 wire single 6+2 18 guage wires?

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You're free to browse the Seasonic cable distributor sales page; I see a sleeved type + an 8-wire ribbon

They also have en eBay store; I don't know if that or the website costs less for a single purchase / shipped. Contact them w/your model, see if they have what you want in stock, that's the easiest answer
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Really 6 wire

Quote Originally Posted by Cass-Olé View Post
    You're free to browse the Seasonic cable distributor sales page; I see a sleeved type + an 8-wire ribbon

They also have en eBay store; I don't know if that or the website costs less for a single purchase / shipped. Contact them w/your model, see if they have what you want in stock, that's the easiest answer
    It says 8-pin but trust me it only has 6 wires. Thats the one I ordered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I replied, when I did my session 'expired', I lost all my text, I'll edit in my reply shortly
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

web site's been messed up for days, see my final edit (10.03.18)

I took for granted their cables were 8-wire, after zooming in I see they're 6-wire; this is probably a cost-cut on their end (less wire + terminals to invest in). It seems Seasonic isn't offering single-ended 8-wire types

If it were me (I own a Molex terminal extractor tool + a terminal crimper), maybe I buy x4 double-ended GRFX cables, I extract the primary side terminals & 'remove' the entire parasitic side jumper, re-assemble, bam, done. Work like that, do-it-yourself or maybe you contact a sleeving or custom cable site, see if they'll do it

Alternatively, maybe I buy x4 https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...e/p/CP-8920111 Corsair Type 3 GRFX cables (which are 8-wire), I pull the PSU connector ends off, place a (new) solid GRFX 8pin end on it (which is what Seasonic uses). This represents an easy mod, given that Corsair & Seasonic both strictly place the 12volt pins in what we'd agree is the bottom row, while all grounds are found in the top row. Only difference is Corsair uses an 8pin CPU / EPS type, Seasonic an 8pin GRFX type connector: the different connector type needs swapped off / new type on in order to make a Corsair cable work in a Seasonic, ok? Wiring assignments below (pic). Maybe someone online can do this type work for you ...
    8pcie.jpg

Pre-sleeved cables? I don't like certain sets of boxed individually sleeved cables (CableMod / Bitfenix Alchemy 2.0) because certain models include 20AWG wire wherever there is a jump / two wires crimped to one terminal. The Seasonic box would have 20AWG in them for GRFX (as a cable builder I can & do correct for that here). Cablemod uses a mix of 18/20, Bitfenix uses 16/20, so if 20AWG doesn't bother you? (It does me). From there, research how many single-ended GRFX come in the box (you need x4, right). From there, research how many single-ended GRFX come in the box (you need x4, right). Alternatively, Cablemod offers a custom cable selector

Research & contact a custom cable place, see what they can offer you (www.mainframecustom.com / www.ensourced.net etc)(maybe they can swap a solid 8pin GRFX onto Corsair cables etc)

Continue to use your current cables til you figure this out; I'd say that what you have there is fine for the 10 & 20 Series GRFX cards; when using two cables-per-card, both designs should get your card the power it needs
    Last edited by Cass-Olé; 10-03-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recieved word

The site that sells those cables emailed me and said that the 8 pin refers to the plug or connector and not the number of wires. I responded back to them that its misleading though not life or death for my needs right now. Wish it was 8 wire though. Thanks.