Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Facing a strange issue with Corsair CX550

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wow, didn't even know such UPS existed!
    So can the OP please say what UPS he has so we don't need to play the guessing game still on page 5?
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar_999 View Post
    400W psu is almost 4 years old & heavily used so thought of replacing it hence bought new CX550.
    I tend to replace secondary capacitors on old power supplies with good quality replacements; but this is something you probably don't want to do. However, hopefully, you have now started on a journey of learning that will give you a richer appreciation of the magic around you.

Quote Originally Posted by Per Hansson View Post
    What?
    They measure the bulk capacitor voltage with a DMM, it wont lie.
    Then how to explain the oscilloscope (look at the 475V compared to the 329V).
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-18-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts

Most of the standby UPS (glorified surge suppressors) are square wave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    No. I said square wave. Not simulated square wave.

Square wave is the super cheap UPSs (probably like the one you have). The APC is a simulated sine wave UPS. Should be fine.
    What about high inrush,won't it be an issue if CX550 draws much higher inrush during switchover on a 600VA UPS.What I am worried about is that maybe APC with its better design & quality will work fine for,say,a few weeks & then it will start having same issue with CX550 as I am having now.

So can the OP please say what UPS he has so we don't need to play the guessing game still on page 5?
    https://www.iball.co.in/Product/Tech...r-UPS-621V/183
    It is a local company with quality supposedly much inferior than cyberpower & APC. Only recommended for low power systems like mine on tech forums in my country.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I tend to replace secondary capacitors on old power supplies with good quality replacements; but this is something you probably don't want to do. However, hopefully, you have now started on a journey of learning that will give you a richer appreciation of the magic around you.

One thing I already learned is that I should have gone for CX450 instead of 550(it was on sale & difference was not much so I thought why not have some extra power) despite knowing that my actual system load would not cross even 300W even with possible future upgrades. Classic case of penny wise and pound foolish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Battery is only warrantied for 1 year. How expensive are new batteries out there? a high quality battery might last longer than a year. I'm still with the idea that it is the battery that is degrading.

I recently went with a top quality battery for my car, as I am tired of things needing replacing all the time; also went with long life headlight bulbs. To have my computer or car break down at an inopportune moment just isn't worth it. This has backfired on me; got a spiral cell Optima battery once, but a design fault had it failing after just over a year when I was on my way to my citizenship ceremony. They stopped producing it for some time, but I was 'once bitten, twice shy' and went with the flat cell Exide Edge rather than try the Optima again.

Still, it might be fun to try the Li-ion UPS unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-18-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Battery is only warrantied for 1 year. How expensive are new batteries out there? a high quality battery might last longer than a year. I'm still with the idea that it is the battery that is degrading.

I recently went with a top quality battery for my car, as I am tired of things needing replacing all the time; also went with long life headlight bulbs.

I replace the secondary capacitors of old power supplies, again to avoid trouble; but never go cheap on the replacement parts.
    Irony is that a good brand(Exide) battery will cost approx. same as new unit of that same UPS so no point in spending on new battery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Irony is that a good brand(Exide) battery will cost approx. same as new unit of that same UPS so no point in spending on new battery.
    I have been known to spend as much changing the capacitors on a power supply as a new supply would cost, since the end result was better than new (in my opinion).

But in your case a new Li-ion UPS is probably the way to go, as small lead acid batteries don't last long, although I was surprised that
    https://www.amazon.in/APC-BX600C-600.../dp/B016XVRKZM
    says a 3 year battery life, and looks like the battery can't be changed (unlike your present unit)

I would be tempted to get the stronger unit (660W)
    https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ELNPG2I/..._t2_B016XVRKZM
    Last edited by ashiekh; 05-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The issue stems from the use of APFC as I mentioned.
    APFC tries to make a PSU appear as a resistive load to the grid.
    It does this by boosting the voltage to around 400v over the entire sine wave.
    Now if you feed it a modified square wave it will be spending about 1/4 of a cycle at 0v, how can the APFC do it's job then?
    Many APFC PSU's have issues due to this, they boost the voltage too high to compensate.
    The Silverstone discussion also carried over a bit on Badcaps, you can see some nice pics and readings in the first post here:
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5181

Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    I am creating a database of the output waves do you really think active PFC can handle those periods of about 1000 PFC switch cycles when there is almost 0 voltage many UPSes have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemot View Post
    I have not read many but from those I have, most of them turned off beyond some certain power output, 200 or 300 W mostly.
    Also now that we know the name of the UPS it seems quite popular.
    Try a seach for "battery" in the reviews on Amazon, many are very unhappy...
    https://www.amazon.in/iBall-Nirantar.../dp/B0093YRXYA
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been known to spend as much changing the capacitors on a power supply as a new supply would cost, since the end result was better than new (in my opinion).

But in your case a new Li-ion UPS is probably the way to go, as small lead acid batteries don't last long, although I was surprised that
    https://www.amazon.in/APC-BX600C-600.../dp/B016XVRKZM
    says a 3 year battery life, and looks like the battery can't be changed (unlike your present unit)

I would be tempted to get the stronger unit (660W)
    https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01ELNPG2I/..._t2_B016XVRKZM
    But the difference between them is 3000 & that's a lot of money for me. I could have justify had my system been more power hungry but I just don't seem to justify spending extra 3k for a system with G620(will upgrade to ryzen 3 1200 or 2200G) & 1050Ti on a 1100VA UPS. Even if I assume a 2 years life for the 600VA APC unit it still is more economical compared to buying a 1100VA APC model especially considering that due to climate conditions & regular power cut both will most likely have a life of ~2 years before their battery starts deteriorating unless you can give some solid reason that 1100VA model batteries will last twice as long as 600VA model.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    267 Posts

What about high inrush,won't it be an issue if CX550 draws much higher inrush during switchover on a 600VA UPS.What I am worried about is that maybe APC with its better design & quality will work fine for,say,a few weeks & then it will start having same issue with CX550 as I am having now.
    Don't get in-rush and hold up confused. There should be no (or very little) inrush if the bulk caps are charged. As long as the transfer time from mains to battery is less than one AC cycle (50Hz), the PSU will not notice.

I don't think in-rush is your problem. Never did. It's either harmonics from the UPS or too long of a switch over from mains to battery (longer than the hold up time available from the bulk caps).

Quality UPS's have a transfer time of 6 tp 8ms, which is not noticeable to even the cheapest PSUs. Even cheaper line-interactive UPSs are less than 12ms. If the transfer time is 16ms or more, the PSU might bawk.

Even a cheap Cyberpower or Tripp-Lite standby UPS has a transfer time of 4ms.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ehume (05-18-2018)