Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSA: About 103 units of SF600 got out with the wrong capacitor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Default PSA: About 103 units of SF600 got out with the wrong capacitor

I'm putting this all here, in one place, to squish FUD as it comes. It's already happened and it's only been two days.

First, the posts from Japanese distributors:

https://www.links.co.jp/2018/04/post-446/

https://www.ask-corp.jp/supports/corsair-sf600.html

Now the English version straight from Corsair (since Google Translate does a hack job):

"CORSAIR has been made aware of a SF600 unit that had a 85째c capacitor in the place where a 105째c capacitor should have been. We immediately audited our factory and inventory to find out how this could have happened. In our exhaustive search we found a single lot code of 103 pcs that were affected by this issue. This is not a widespread issue and we will take care of any customer that has this lot code and wants the units replaced."

How did this happen?

Bulldog came with a version of the SF600 labeled as "SF500". This unit was rated to put out 500W @ 50째C instead of 600W @ 40째C. Since the bulk cap was not at risk of higher temperatures, a lower rated 85째C cap was used in it's place on these units.

103 unsold units went back to Great Wall where they were packed in retail boxes. Then 90 of those were stickered with JP (Japanese) UPC stickers, packed with a JIS power cord and shipped to Japan and sold as SF600's without realizing the bulk cap was different.

How FUD spreads:

Immediately after the post went live, this was posted on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Corsair/com...air_sf600_psu/

The author added their own embellishments by using words like "potential defect" and "fire hazard".

I figured starting a thread here would be a good way for me to do damage control from those who want to say that there's been a global recall, unusually high failure rates and this is the reason you can't buy SF600 is Botswana, etc.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (04-29-2018), breixobaloca (04-29-2018), eddieobscurant (05-02-2018), GDILord (04-30-2018), Philipus II (04-30-2018), turkey3_scratch (04-29-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

85째C on the secondary caps would freak me out; 85째C on the primary caps would not really bother me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    85째C on the secondary caps would freak me out; 85째C on the primary caps would not really bother me.
    Well, if you read this thread you'd think the affected PSUs killed your pets: http://jisakutech.com/archives/2018/04/43660

Even after the problem was revealed, many users were still not very nice: http://jisakutech.com/archives/2018/04/43719

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

That is as serious as using Magerine on your bread instead of butter.

Whan I read that, I was thinking about some serious fuckup but this is really only a storm in a water bottle...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

In terms of real world usage, there is practically no difference between 85째c and 105째c capacitors, so yeah, this is not a big deal in that sense.

The problem is Corsair advertises 105째c capacitor as one of SF600's main selling points and a batch of these did not deliver on that promise. Customers have the right to be pissed, and when they do, sometimes they go a bit overboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    In terms of real world usage, there is practically no difference between 85째c and 105째c capacitors, so yeah, this is not a big deal in that sense.
    This is correct for 230V regions. For 110V or even lower main's voltage situation can be different according to lifetime calculations. Still. primary cap failing because of aging is not common.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

breixobaloca (05-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post

The problem is Corsair advertises 105째c capacitor as one of SF600's main selling points and a batch of these did not deliver on that promise. Customers have the right to be pissed, and when they do, sometimes they go a bit overboard.

A valid point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    This is correct for 230V regions. For 110V or even lower main's voltage situation can be different according to lifetime calculations. Still. primary cap failing because of aging is not common.
    Definitely a big issue for Japan as well; where most of these units shipped to. Mains dipping down into the low 90s is pretty common.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Which is why Corsair is replacing all the units.

I just hate how some people are saying it's a "fire hazard" and "intentional bait and switch" without knowing the facts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Which is why Corsair is replacing all the units.

I just hate how some people are saying it's a "fire hazard" and "intentional bait and switch" without knowing the facts.
    Welcome to the internet
    Just some nerd from 'Straya

13. The Following User Says Thank You to awesomegamer919 For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (05-03-2018)