Thread: Reuse or replacement for HX620W?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Reuse or replacement for HX620W?

My PC died a while ago. It was an old build, built sometime in 2009.

It was built on a Corsair HX620W.

Not being sure what it was that died, but assuming it was the PSU, I sent it into my local PC store. Mobo & CPU dead, but PSU fine. However, I'm not sure if they tested the PSU under load.

Thing is, before it died, I tried an upgrade to a GTX 1050. This caused the system to hard crash and reset the BIOS, so I've known that it was only a matter of time for a while.

I'm pulling something together based upon 2nd hand parts. Partly this is driven by my current budget, partly with the intention of getting a much more shiny new rig in a year or two, once CPUs have hardware level fixes for meltdown, and the GPU price nonsense has died down (though it seems to have got much better).

I managed to snag a great deal on eBay, so the following will be the new build:

i5 6600K (probably not gonna overclock, but might just a tad to whatever's stable at 1.2v, so likely <4GHz)
    Asus Z170k
    2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz DDR4

Existing:
    2 x SSD
    3 x 7200rpm HDD
    A couple of things drawing power over USB 3.0

Still to get:
    Up to GTX 1080

GPU will be anything I can pick up for <£300. Very occasionally even GTX 1080s have gone for that price on eBay UK, so you never know. It's more likely to be a GTX 1070 or 1060 6GB

The outervision PSU calculator suggests 552w minimum. (388W on the +12v)

I can't see any swollen capacitor caps on the PSU, but it is quite old now.

Is it worth risking re-using the HX620W?
    Given something killed my old PC, but no indication that it's definitely the PSU.

It's a good PSU that has done me well, but it is almost 10 years old now, for some quite heavy gaming (though I'm not the kind that leaves the PC on 24/7)

If it's better to replace it, then any suggestions for something that will survive a couple of years before I move on?

In particular: I've not built anything for almost 10 years, and it used to be the case that PSUs were much more efficient in the mid-wattage range (40-70% of max output). So the a 500W draw should be looking at 80-1000W PSU.
    Is this still the case?

Do I still need to be looking in the 800W+ range for a 500W minimum draw, or would something at 650/700 be fine?

Any thoughts on decent, but not super-high-end grade PSUs for this rig, given I'll likely be selling the whole lot on in a year or two?

If I replace the PSU, that will be one component that won't be 2nd hand!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

It's such an old PSU.... it shouldn't even be a question of should you use it regardless if it powers on or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

after 12 Years, you should replace that PSU.
    It will cause Problems, because its not made for modern Components with the transients they cause.

And those PSU Calculators grossly overestimate the Power Consumption of Components, depending on how you use them, 50-100% are entirely possible.

And that setup is something in the 200-300W Range, so you'd be fine with a good quality 450W PSU like Bitfenix Formula 450, Whisper M 450 and Straight Power 11 450W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Given I'm building from 2nd hand parts, and do not expect to be keeping this computer that long, I think I'll go for the Corasir TX550M.

It has a 5 year warranty, 80+Gold, and is currently going for £68, which seems to be a pretty good price for a 80+ Gold PSU in that range. There's no 450W version, but the 450W ones suggested were a lot more for what is going to be a "stop-gap" build.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Mobo & CPU dead...
    Strange that they should both die at the same time; not that it changes much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Given I'm building from 2nd hand parts, and do not expect to be keeping this computer that long, I think I'll go for the Corasir TX550M.

It has a 5 year warranty, 80+Gold, and is currently going for £68, which seems to be a pretty good price for a 80+ Gold PSU in that range. There's no 450W version, but the 450W ones suggested were a lot more for what is going to be a "stop-gap" build.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfe...ca-22x-bx.html

Even better overall and a bit cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfe...ca-22x-bx.html

Even better overall and a bit cheaper.
    Thanks for the spot, I used overclockers for my last build, so should have checked there first. But add 10 quid postage, and it's not such a great deal; th £68 for the TXM was inclusive of postage.