Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Seasonic Prime triggered by sudden power increases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdown View Post
    U think that some techguy in that shop will test it like this? I really dont think so.
    No it's very unlikely they have the right knowledge let alone the right equipment which is extremely expensive. Most manufactures (probably not even all) and only some wholesale companies have it. But normal shops (almost) never have such equipment or knowledge.

That's why is better to good explain the problem. Otherwise they test is with a simple PC or with a totally useless 10 dollar PSU tester and won't find any problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Add me to the list of users affected by this issue.
    I originally posted on [H] linked here since that is where I spend most of my forum time: https://hardforum.com/threads/sudden...-menu.1961373/

My new-built system (see sig below) with SSR-850TR would shut down every time the internal benchmark was run in the game Ghost Recon Wildlands. No other game or program caused the issue, only GRW. It happened even with no OCing at all, not even memory. Sometimes it would shut down while navigating inside the game menus (that was where it happened the first few times I experienced the issue), not even in the benchmark or playing the game. Truly strange stuff.

I swapped in a second SSR-850TR that I had (was purchased brand new 1 month ago for another system and was working fine) and it, too, shut down in the same way.

So, I bought an SSR-1000TR to see if it made any difference. It did. The shutdowns completely stopped. I honestly did not think the 1000W PSU would make any difference, but it did.

I cannot be sure, but I think OCP/OPP protection in the SSR-850TR was causing the shutdowns. I would be surprised if I had two bad SSR-850TR PSUs purchased more than 1 month apart.

Of course, I had to swap the cables in addition to the PSU since I do not know if they are compatible. The cables are marked differently even though they look similar. So there is an outside chance there was a cable issue, but I don't think so. I think it was OCP/OPP protection kicking in under this very specific power load created by this particular game. Other games and benchmarks use more total average power (~750W) and did not shut down, but GRW which only used ~650W, did.

More details about my problem are in the linked [H] thread above, but yes, I was using 4 separate PCIe power cables to the video cards since I know this question will be asked first.

Anyway, thanks to you guys and this thread for bringing up the subject of OCP/OPP protection in the Prime series of PSUs possibly being the cause of the problem. I was beginning to suspect the MB/CPU or even one of the GPUs until I found this thread.
    Asus Crosshair VII Hero Wifi X470 | AMD 2700X w/NH-D15S | G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition SLI | Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB NVMe | Crucial MX500 1 TB SATA | Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000 | Fractal Define S | Dell 3008WFP 2560x1600 | Win 10 Pro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey guys,

Just wanted to add that after having no real issue for a while I'm recreating this problem again with Radeon chill enabled.

I'm assuming when the GPU is scales back and then goes full power it's causing my system to lock up/freeze.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm...

I wanted to try and trigger my 750 Prime Titanium. Running a Fury X, power modded, and a 5ghz i7-7700K with no AVX offset, I pushed the power limits in the driver up +35%, and in OCCT PSU test mode, it didn't skip a beat and that takes the system from 0 to 100 pretty fast.

That's also running my twin pumped water cooling loop. Though the pumps, controller, and fans could be keeping the load high enough to prevent the in rush power shut down.

Interesting note to keep my 7700K from power throttling I had to push the power limits up to 150W or it would pull clocks while doing AVX tests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsoar View Post
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to add that after having no real issue for a while I'm recreating this problem again with Radeon chill enabled.

I'm assuming when the GPU is scales back and then goes full power it's causing my system to lock up/freeze.
    Interesting... Maybe we should play with Vega enabling Radeon Chill and see whether the peak current rises or not.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamefoo21 View Post
    Hmm...

I wanted to try and trigger my 750 Prime Titanium. Running a Fury X, power modded, and a 5ghz i7-7700K with no AVX offset, I pushed the power limits in the driver up +35%, and in OCCT PSU test mode, it didn't skip a beat and that takes the system from 0 to 100 pretty fast.

That's also running my twin pumped water cooling loop. Though the pumps, controller, and fans could be keeping the load high enough to prevent the in rush power shut down.

Interesting note to keep my 7700K from power throttling I had to push the power limits up to 150W or it would pull clocks while doing AVX tests.
    Don't try popular "power virus" programs like Furmark/AIDA64/3DMark/OCCT, since the video drivers deal with them too well.
    It's been a hard day's night and I've been working like a dog.