Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVGA SuperNova G3 750w or Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750w / Which one should I get

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EVGA SuperNova G3 750w or Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750w / Which one should I get

So between the SuperNova G3 750w or the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750w, which one should I go with and why?? Below are the links for my current build and the 2 PSUs. This is the only thing holding me back. Everything else I have ordered. I will eventually be adding a 1080 TI and will definitely be overclocking this rig. I can definitely use some advise or suggestions as I have been so indecisive with this last piece and I need to make up my mind.

I have also read contradicting reviews about fan noise on both so kind of confused.

Part List Up To Now: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pHDD8Y

EVGA SuperNova G3 750w: https://www.evga.com/products/produc...220-G3-0750-X1

Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750w: https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Are you using 2GPUs? If so, depending on task, you may want 800+w, if it's 1 GPU then 550w would be plenty enough, something like a Bitfenix Whisper M, Seasonic FOCUS/FOCUS PLUS Gold or Corsair RMx would work really well (There's a newer RMx that will be available on the market at 550w soon, but there's no set date yet AFAIK).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A good quality 550W one will suffice for your system.

Why are you comparing those two units anyway? Their prices are very different.
    Budget is an important factor for choosing a PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    A good quality 550W one will suffice for your system.

Why are you comparing those two units anyway? Their prices are very different.
    Budget is an important factor for choosing a PSU.
    I plan on adding a 1080 TI and intend to overclock the CPU, RAM and GPU. So I want to make sure I have head room.

I am looking at those two models because I have read great things about them including their performance with ripple suppression are excellent. I lean a tad more towards the Seasonic due to it not having any caps in the PSU cables which means if I ever replace with a set of cables from cablemods I don’t have to worry about sacrificing the ripple suppression due to me longer having caps in the cables. I have a big range in budget for the power supply. $100 to $200. My main points are reliability and performance. A well rounded power supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyTech007 View Post
    ... if I ever replace with a set of cables from cablemods I don’t have to worry about sacrificing the ripple suppression due to me longer having caps in the cables.
    The caps hardly do anything at all. They're there mainly to get good reviews and end up higher up on a table in a PSU review. That's why Seasonic was able to remove the caps (the original PRIME versus the ULTRA version) with little impact to ripple.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

SneakyTech007 (03-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The caps hardly do anything at all. They're there mainly to get good reviews and end up higher up on a table in a PSU review. That's why Seasonic was able to remove the caps (the original PRIME versus the ULTRA version) with little impact to ripple.
    The man himself! Thanks for the info jonnyGURU! That’s good to know.

You have much more experience than me. Which one do you say is my go to for this build?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

Corsair HX750. :-D

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

SneakyTech007 (03-26-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corsair HX750. :-D
    I looked at that one but it’s 5mm too long for the 175 mm recommended for my case leaving me to look for another alternative. Do you have a runner up for me? Lol.
    Last edited by SneakyTech007; 03-25-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Grammar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    322 Posts

I suppose efficiency is not a deciding factor because the G3 is Gold and the Prime is Titanium (skipping over Platinum altogether).

So if efficiency does not matter, what are your deciding factors other than the depth cannot exceed 175mm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose efficiency is not a deciding factor because the G3 is Gold and the Prime is Titanium (skipping over Platinum altogether).

So if efficiency does not matter, what are your deciding factors other than the depth cannot exceed 175mm?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I just read the refresher of the RM750x is now in a smaller housing? Hopefully I read this correctly because I went on a hunt and purchased the new version, part # CP-9020179-NA which should fit the Fractal Meshify C just fine. I'm a little skeptical about where I bought it from because I have never heard of the retailer, Micro Center and because its sold out everywhere else I look. I'm crossing my fingers on this one that I get the model number I ordered.