Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enermax Liberty vs Be Quiet Straight power?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Enermax Liberty vs Be Quiet Straight power?

Hello everyone, i was just interested in your opinions for those two models in 450-600W power range? I found decent amount of used PSU in online shop and i want to buy one for my older second pc. I have G3258 on 4.1GHz, 8gigs ,hdd, 2 fans and R9 270x. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

If it is the Straight Power 10, then that's better then all the different Liberty's. If the Pure Power 10 400W is available that's also a great choice for a PC like yours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks ill look for that. Although those psu ive found in market are atleast 5yrs old. I mean since our chieftec 600w exploded one day when we powered up pc in cold room (MOSFET from inrush current, couldnt find pair to replace) ive been using liberty 400w and with full load its not even warm but considering summer i wanted something little more safer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Don't get a used PSU, they are far too expensive for the potential risk.

A 550W Straight Power E8 shouldn't cost more than 20€ at tha door, the E9 should be avoided because group regulated.

So get a 400W Pure Power 10 instead - its even better than the E9.
    Or maybe even System Power 9...

For that system a 300W PSU seems to be not a bad idea. So it should be preferred to get a new 300W instead of a used 500W one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i do buy tested used PSU directly from owner thoo. In my place used Enermax or Be quiet 500w from around 2007-2010 cost about 35-40e and new ones including Corsair and Seasonic are more than 100e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Most be quiet! PSU's from 7 till 10 years ago will have failed caps or will fail soon. If you're gonna buy a PSU that old you need to make sure it's a quality PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bokica View Post
    Well i do buy tested used PSU directly from owner thoo.
    Tested? How?
    Do they have a PSU Load Tester like the ones used on this site and also an osciloscope.

In my place used Enermax or Be quiet 500w from around 2007-2010 cost about 35-40e and new ones including Corsair and Seasonic are more than 100e
    Yes, but what's the risk? How high is the risk that you can kill your modern components?
    Not just because of died caps but also because of a bad design, that's not made for the high transients caused by modern components and the race to idle power saving mechanisms.

And what PSU are you talking about?
    The E5 and E6 aren't a great idea, too old design and uses 8mm caps everywhere...
    E7 is also a bit old.
    E8 is awesome, has DC-DC, but is also really old and was replaced somewhere 2010 or 2011 - so not that great either.
    E9 is group regulated and thus not really a good idea as are the Pure Power before the 10.

So if we are talking about group regulated, why not consider some 300-350W PSU from "reputable Brands"??
    That seems to me like a way better idea than to get some worn down PSU that might fail anyway...

And the new one can be used for many years while the used ones can explode at any moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    If you're gonna buy a PSU that old you need to make sure it's a quality PSU.
    And even those fail rather often due to age. They aren't made to last forever...

The Problem is that those PSU aren't made for modern components and thus could damage components because of that...

And with more modern PSU it seems that the PFC Stage is more of a problem and seems to fail often.
    And than there is the exploding +5VSB Chips that also seem to die in older PSU it seems...

And if we talk about PSU from 2006 or something around that time, we are also talking about Standby Circuits that will go way out of spec and fry the motherboard when the right capacitor fails...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I agree with Stefan here. IMO one should never cheap out looking for a bargain PSU. A use GPU will get you lots of jollies, and if it fails it will not bring down your whole system. Save money there.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for information but sadly in Serbia there is no new PSU you've mentioned and used ones are only very older as i said. Only new PSU i can find in shops are few Seasonic and Corsair but mostly they are 1000w+ mining models. Funny enough 95% population here thinks that Chieftec and LC Power are top PSU. In about 3 years i havent found any of those higher tier PSUs you mentioned (new or used). But thanks for some technical things for different models, sometimes i convert them to bench psu so it can be handy in time. And for testing i meant that i personally power PSU on heavy load in PC and after i use bulbs on 12V rail to measure voltage drops and temps. Not everytime but mostly i can arrange some of those basic testing from seller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

but sadly in Serbia there is no new PSU you've mentioned
    Than order them outside of your country and import them yourselves.
    AFAIR Serbia is member of the EU wich comes with exactly one advantage: You can order stuff outside your country without the need to pay import taxes...

And what's available?
    There is also some other stuff that might be worth a look.
    What manufacturers are widely available? (except LC-Power and Chieftec of course)

Funny enough 95% population here thinks that Chieftec and LC Power are top PSU
    Some models they have are decent/OK
    But my guess would be that thats by luck...

And for testing i meant that i personally power PSU on heavy load in PC and after i use bulbs on 12V rail to measure voltage drops and temps. Not everytime but mostly i can arrange some of those basic testing from seller
    Testing in PC is not enough, because that unit worked a week before:

The lightbulb stuff is a start but you need an osciloscope to see if the filtering works as intended...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

Bokica (03-25-2018), ehume (03-24-2018)