Thread: Some help with cooling... beasts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Some help with cooling... beasts!

OK tech-nerds.. Sorry, fanboys Well fine, "enthusiasts" then

I hear Thermalright Ultra 120 PLUS (and the non-plus), Tuniq Tower 120, Scythe Infinity, Zalman CNPS9700, CoolerMaster Hyper 6+, Vigor Monsoon II Lite, Ultra ChillTEC and Titan Amanda, nearly all the time in the AIR and TEC categories.

I hear Koolance INX3-1050 1Kw and SwiftTech Apex Ultra in WC categories all the time.

Well this is what I'm thinking of purchasing next for a very good Kenstfield chip that seems to be one of the best of the batch, and luckily landed with me! When I get back to the States, I'll be getting it brought over to the Middle East where I'm heading off next and planning to take it past 4GHz this time. Been at 4GHz once before and it runs at 3.65GHz daily in a strictly work based system.

CoolIT Freezone CPU cooler: http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.p...=151&Itemid=95

CoolIT Eliminator CPU cooler: http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.p...=152&Itemid=96

Apart from TCM in the bigger brother of the two, which is the one I'll most likely be getting, and the noise when at highest setting (which I'll eliminate by replacing with a better/bigger fan), any downsides to it that you know of? Anyone experienced with it?

Any helpful comments, suggestions, advice appreciated
    Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen reports of the pumps being slightly fragile and prone to becoming noisy but I dunno if it was a bad batch or just a design flaw.

Personally, I'll stick to the proven concept of a rad disipating heat from my rig because with the CoolIT it's running a balance of being able to disipate X wattage. after that who knows what'll happen. TEC's can reverse if driven past their thermal limits...wouldn't it be nice to have your TEC start pumping heat INTO your coolant? Nah, with a traditional setup if your temps start getting out of hand simply plumb in another rad or a bigger rad. With the CoolIT what do you do? Seriously, do you just throw it away? Buy another so you can divide the workload? I would like to know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I recall, the Eliminator has this thermal power dissipation limit of 125W and the the Freezone at 175-200W. Usual effective die cooling solutions only tend to dissipate heat at the rate of 0.25C/W, which at 100W will put the die at 25C above ambient temps but Freezone has the thermal resistance of 0.10C/W so it will run 15C cooler at least. The TCM allows control of noise or increased cooling, by choice if needed. Parts aren't user serviceable and are sealed, but the system is designed for long term usage maintenance free and parts constructed from vapor resistant materials and gas sealed plumbing, minimizing any chance of leakages or unreliability with the year warranty covering the other concerns anyway. Clutter, thermal efficiency, condensation, noise, installation and control is supposed to be much better with this method, going off reviews and comments from friends, let alone the obvious results of cooling being like Phase Change. Liquid cooling is obviously more effective than air, due to its heat absorption and combined with the FHE, I can't see many flaws in it yet having seen it once in person.
    Designs using large heat dump reservoirs suffer from aspects this doesn't as the coolant temp is regulated by the TCM IC sensors actively by constant temperature monitoring to regulate the power to the 6 TECs and control the low speed exhaust fan - all doing their bit to chill the PPG/distilled water coolant along with the rectangular dual thermal plate heatinks. These TECs and fan aren't activated unless a temperature rise is determined or CPU load increases (all the better) and when running its near to silent as you can expect, which is what I need!
    For my needs, the latter of the two aforementioned is more than enough. I have a Zalman Reserator plus WC running ATM with a Swiftech Apogee GT CPU waterblock, HW Labs BlackIce GTX120 rad, Swiftech MCP355 w/Custom Delrin DDC pump top as the mods. They run/work/cool better than most WC can do. I still need more assurance with higher cadence and I have 3 trustworthy friends running Freezone since early November on Kentsfield/Xeon and Opteron rigs, who are h/core oc'ers, whereas I'm not even one, but just do it to squeeze any benefit out of something I own. They haven't had any problems yet and have hit 4.5-5GHz, and neither know of any from their friends of friends and so forth who use it across the globe.
    I have heard about the noise factor and one instance where the TCM became faulty and so the whole thing failed, but its safe to say it was a one off. All 3 friends are from engineering departments within major hardware production and none are with less than my experience or electrical knowledge. Since I'm in the upper 40's now, thats enough experience and knowledge for me to rely on, as whats good for them is good for me.

I guess IF it faults at below 175W, I'll just throw it away or mod it somehow. But thats a big if, yet to be proven

Danke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I take it that you have no plans to plumb in your video card(s) into the loop? The last I'd heard CoolIT had GPU blocks in the works and as I'm of the school of thought that if I'm going to dump a lot of cash into a loop it's going to cool the major offenders. I can't see leaving the GPU(s) on air.

That said, with a CPU pumping 100W+ of heat and a pair of GPU's pumping close to the same (together) I really can't see the CoolIT solution being reliable. But that's just me. If I was going for the uber OC I'd just get a pelt block and another rad and plumb them into the loop and call it a day. I'm not really fond of proprietary systems anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well thats a point I'm still thinking about actually.. I have the Swiftech MCW60-R VGA Cooler with G80 adapter kit ATM and it did perfect. So air was always out of the question for me there. Am thinking of carrying it on, with the Northbridge/Southbridge cooling I have. Like yourself here, I don't believe their GPU blocks are upto the job. I can always use the spare peltier and rad for this as I was doing, just need to make a closed loop with less components

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Running a second loop for the SB, NB and GPU sounds like a better idea all the way around honestly. You could get away with a single BIP II on that setup and still keep things well cooled. Very good plan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Matt

With less components to cool, there's less heat to dissipate and liquid to cool thus its obviously more effective. I figured these 3 pieces of h/w need separate cooling with this sort of stress. With a half done setup similar to outlined above, I've been able to take both my GPU's to 655/1034 fully stable (60C full load 17 hours) on a monitor used in medical faculties which runs at WQUXGA, previously; the XFX 8800 GTX XXX that is. Have around 3 weeks before I fix everything up fully and run it with the new setup.