Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange difference between Seasonic and Corsair PSU fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strange difference between Seasonic and Corsair PSU fans

I am some comparison between fan noise between Seasonic Prime ultra 1000W gold and Corsair RM1000i and RM1000x. All data are from EFFICIENCY AND NOISE LEVEL CERTIFICATIONS of cybenetics lab.

1. Seasonic Prime Ultra SSR-1000GD Ultra
    https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=V2s
    It uses 135mm FDB fan.
    On page 6 when DC power is 599.633W (91.146%), fan speed is 630 RPM, noise is 26.8 dBA, temperature in and out are 40.56째C and 47.17째C.

2. Corsair RM1000i
    https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=8iM
    It also uses 135mm FDB fan.
    On pae 6 when DC power is 599.624W(90.498%), fan speed is 601 RPM, noise is is 17.4 dBA, temperature in and out are 43.66째C and 57.99째C.

3. Corsair RM1000x
    https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=j21
    It uses 135mm Rifle Bearing Fan.
    On page 6 when DC power is 599.607W (90.499%), fan speed is 610 RPM, noise is 10.2 dBA, temperature in and out are 44.51째C and 57.19째C.

Comparing RM1000x and RM1000i, they almost have the same thermal performance at 600W. But FDB in RM1000i is noisier than Rifle Bearing Fan in RM1000x. What is the benefit of FDB, other than longer life time?

Seasonic's FDB in SSR-1000GD2 is even noisier, but is more efficient to remove heat (7째C temperature difference vs. 14째C of Corsair). It looks like Seasonic trades off noise for temperature and Corsair does the opposite. Is that true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danda821 View Post

Comparing RM1000x and RM1000i, they almost have the same thermal performance at 600W. But FDB in RM1000i is noisier than Rifle Bearing Fan in RM1000x. What is the benefit of FDB, other than longer life time?

Seasonic's FDB in SSR-1000GD2 is even noisier, but is more efficient to remove heat (7째C temperature difference vs. 14째C of Corsair). It looks like Seasonic trades off noise for temperature and Corsair does the opposite. Is that true?
    Nope. You're comparing apples to oranges.

If you want to look at the fans' performance by itself, you should look at the fans performance by itself and not installed in a PSU or with a fan curve controlled by a programmed fan controller.

Static pressure of a fan alone isn't going to "remove more heat". Sure, you can crank up a fan to push more heat out, but PCB layout plays the biggest part. RMx and RMi PSUs are very crowded inside including a bunch of DC wires. It would require EVEN MORE static pressure to push ALL of the heat out of the PSU housing. Fortunately, it's just not necessary to remove every bit of heat generated.

As for the difference between the fan curves between RMx and RMi. The fan blade design in both is exactly the same. So if one is louder than the other, and the noise isn't coming from bearing noise (and with anything other than a DBB there isn't going to be bearing noise unless the bearing is damaged) or motor noise, the noise measured would be the same. So I would say the discrepancy is due to testing or sample variations and not by design.

Next, you have to realize HOW LOW those numbers you're looking at really are. 10dBA is a pin drop. It's essentially no noise. Most noise labs don't even have this low of a noise floor. At this noise level, you can hear your blood flowing (dead serious. I've been in a 6 dBA noise floor room and it's creepy). They use a whisper or rustling leaves to describe what 20 dBA actually sounds like, so I think the sound measured on the RM1000i is the more realistic number.

Since sounds below 20 dBA are essentially inaudible inside a computer, I would look at higher numbers than 600 RPM (which is the lowest RPM those "Blue Jay" fans can support).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

turkey3_scratch (03-14-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Nice article about noise.
    dBA scale its not linear.
    http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Neither is the ear...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Both Corsairs are measured under different circumstances. The more silent one is done with Aris (the tester) his new Hemi-Anechoic Chamber, see: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14026 That's why you see such a big differences.

The Seasonic could make more noise because of coil whine, bearing noise or because of the worse air intake for example. Corsair uses a more silent wire grill.
    Last edited by -The_Mask-; 03-13-2018 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Both Corsairs are measured under different circumstances. The more silent one is done with Aris (the tester) his new Hemi-Anechoic Chamber, see: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14026 That's why you see such a big differences.

The Seasonic could make more noise because of coil whine, bearing noise or because of the worse air intake for example. Corsair uses a more silent wire grill.
    Compare 800W for high fan rpm

Seasonic SSR-1000GD ultra
    fan speed is 1795 RPM, noise is 49 dBA, temperature in and out are 42.78째C and 50.34째C

RM1000x
    872 RPM, 22.2 dBA 44.49째C and 58.34째C

RM1000i
    855 RPM, 21.3dBA 44.76째C and 58.89째C

Same trend. Which one to choose? One is cooler, one is quieter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Same trend?

No... See how the RM1000x and RM1000i are essentially the same at this point?

"One is cooler" is a non-issue as you don't know the what is "good" or "bad" for the exhaust temperatures.

Remember: Both PSUs are rated as 80 PLUS Gold and are very similar efficiency. That means they both convert AC to DC at the same percentage and the difference becomes heat. One is not going to actually generate more heat than the other. They're just going to exhaust heat at different rates. So that leads to the question: Why are you concerned with how much PSU heat is exhausted? Are you planning a special kind of build with no fans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Same trend?

No... See how the RM1000x and RM1000i are essentially the same at this point?

"One is cooler" is a non-issue as you don't know the what is "good" or "bad" for the exhaust temperatures.

Remember: Both PSUs are rated as 80 PLUS Gold and are very similar efficiency. That means they both convert AC to DC at the same percentage and the difference becomes heat. One is not going to actually generate more heat than the other. They're just going to exhaust heat at different rates. So that leads to the question: Why are you concerned with how much PSU heat is exhausted? Are you planning a special kind of build with no fans?
    I understand the heat generated is the same. But one is cooler, because it is more efficient to remove the heat. This will impact the temperature of the whole case. And life time (performance) of components in PSU would be better if temperature is lower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

I understand the heat generated is the same. But one is cooler, because it is more efficient to remove the heat. This will impact the temperature of the whole case. And life time (performance) of components in PSU would be better if temperature is lower.
    Will it?

Just to make sure: You do know that the heat is exhausted out of the back of the PSU, right? And that heat measured is measured INSIDE of the PSU?

The life of the components within the PSU is a non-issue since all of the PSUs mentioned use components that are operating well below the threshold that would even cause them to operate at their de-rating curves, nevermind shorten their life span.

The only time I've ever seen heat kill a PSU is when the fan dies completely. Otherwise, there are other variables at play to worry about when it comes to premature PSU failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Will it?

Just to make sure: You do know that the heat is exhausted out of the back of the PSU, right? And that heat measured is measured INSIDE of the PSU?

The life of the components within the PSU is a non-issue since all of the PSUs mentioned use components that are operating well below the threshold that would even cause them to operate at their de-rating curves, nevermind shorten their life span.

The only time I've ever seen heat kill a PSU is when the fan dies completely. Otherwise, there are other variables at play to worry about when it comes to premature PSU failure.
    So RMx is better choice than Prime ultra if price is the same?