Thread: Can anyone tell me if you would know why a particular PC...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can anyone tell me if you would know why a particular PC...

would go into hibernation much slower than others? Does it have something to do with total disc size? What I mean is if the slow hibernating PC has a disc size of 300Gb and the faster hibernating PCs are around 80Gb, would that make a difference?

The current machine I'm using...all of the PCs in question are using WinXP Home...a new build, takes a very long time to go into hibernation. It comes out rather quickly though. Here the deets:

The slow hibernator

MSI P6N SLI-FI mobo (not using SLI)
    P4 650 CPU
    1Gb DDR2-533 memory (4 modules, dual channel
    2 160Gb 7,200 RPM HDDs in RAID 0 striped

Fast hibernators

Asus P5ND2-SLI mobo (not using SLI)
    P4 630 CPU
    2Gb DDR2-667 memory (2 modules, dual channel)
    2 37Gb 10,000 RPM HDDs in RAID 0 striped

Asus A7N8X-X mobo
    AMD Athlon XP 3200+ CPU
    1Gb DDR-400 memory (2 modules, single channel)
    1 80Gb 7200 RPM HDD

These last two go into hibernation about twice as fast as the first one.

Thanks for the help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

The slower machine might have to store it's hibernation data across a larger area of the drive. Maybe you just need to give it a good defrag.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The last time I checked it had 13 Gb of the 300Gb..

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The slower machine might have to store it's hibernation data across a larger area of the drive. Maybe you just need to give it a good defrag.
    used. I just built it and I have been defragging it. It is brand new. I'm wondering if the BIOS might have something to do with the hibernation process. I couldn't find any in-Windows hardware settings for the RAID array or individual drives.

It seems to me it would have something to do with memory. The memory in it right now, though, is the same memory I had in one of the fast hibernating machines. So, unless the BIOS is affecting the speed of the memory, that can't be the problem.

For some reason it takes a very long time to write the contents of the memory to the HDDs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MartyLK View Post
    used. I just built it and I have been defragging it. It is brand new. I'm wondering if the BIOS might have something to do with the hibernation process. I couldn't find any in-Windows hardware settings for the RAID array or individual drives.

It seems to me it would have something to do with memory. The memory in it right now, though, is the same memory I had in one of the fast hibernating machines. So, unless the BIOS is affecting the speed of the memory, that can't be the problem.

For some reason it takes a very long time to write the contents of the memory to the HDDs.
    Software interference ? Different software packages in diff. machines may explain the difference in the amount of times it takes to hibernate. Nero (generally older versions) is known to cause big headaches with hibernation. And real time scanners (AV/AT etc) can add to that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could be total disk size remaining, the amount of space relative to position or maybe a "heavy" service. Could be how much RAM you are using at that time, or even some piece of software running in your processes could delay it.
    But if it was a service, it would give you problems going into standby and shut down too.

Close all unnecessary apps before you initiate the command for hibernation and it should be quicker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I originally said it took about a minute, I was wrong.

Iin the first post I said it took about 1 minute to go into hibernation but that isn't correct. I watched the clock this time and it was more than 2 minutes.

Hibernation has to be related to total HDD size. The machine is operating well and other than going into hibernation it appears to function normally. It comes out of hibernation very swiftly.