Toshiba HDD 1TB
    Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 650W
    NZXT S340 Black & Blue
    Fractal Venturi HF-14 X2
    EKWB Vardar X2

---

Asus VX239H
    Logitech G403 (600dpi) Custom*
    *(Custom= Paracord CeeSa's cable + Corepad Skatez)
    Steelseries QCK Mass
    Motospeed CK104
    AKG K701 (bass mod) + Fiio E17K

----------------------------------------

This PC was build for the first time with a Corsair cx750m (green label, not the current ones) and 2 years later it put it a Seasonic M12II 520W. Both of them worked pretty well, not even a single issue even though I live in a village where is not that uncommon to run out of electricity for whatever reason.

So yeah, I asked here for a good long term psu and almost everyone told me about Seasonic Focus, got one from Amazon.es and installed it without any problems.

Here is the thing:
    As I said, from time to time this village may run out of electricity so everytime I shut the PC down I'd turn off the switch from the PSU in order to be "a little more safe". So whenever I'm about to use the PC I have to turn on the switch and push the button. The problem comes here and I swear that this is the first time this has happened on this PC and somehow, it tells me (I don't remember the actual message, I will update once I can reach my pc again ) that something went kinda wrong the profile that I use on my bios won't load and I have to load it myself from the bios everytime this message pops up. If it helps, sometimes I turn the PC off for 30min or so without touching the switch of the PSU and whenever I turn the PC on again this thing will not happen again so I'd say it has something to do with the PSU not getting power.

As this message won't pop out 100% of the times, I guess the battery for the BIOS is not empty.

Thank you all by advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

My guess, the BIOS battery is not needed if the PC is plugged in and 5VSB available; your precautionary measure may be running the BIOS battery down faster than usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    My guess, the BIOS battery is not needed if the PC is plugged in and 5VSB available; your precautionary measure may be running the BIOS battery down faster than usual.
    Maybe I should point out that this started happening once the Focus+ Platinum once installed, it must be such a coincidence it the battery died at the same time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

What happened to the Corsair and M12II? Did you replace them because they died?

If not, do you still have the Corsair or M12II? Does the problem not happen with those PSUs?

Yeah.. the problem STARTED when you installed the Focus+, but the Focus+ was the latter of the three installed PSUs.

I'm with ashiekh here. If the PSU is turned off, there's no +5VSB and the BIOS has to rely completely on the battery to maintain your BIOS profile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If that's the case, then after cmos battery voltage drops even further the pc will turn on for a split sec then off or wont turn on at all.
    R7 1700x @3,95
    Geil EVO x 16gb ddr4 3200
    Asus Prime x370 pro
    Vega 64
    500GB Samsung 970 pro
    Corsair RM1000i
    EKWB watercooling (cpu+gpu)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strumf666 View Post
    If that's the case, then after cmos battery voltage drops even further the pc will turn on for a split sec then off or wont turn on at all.
    What?

If the CMOS battery is dead, it won't hold the CMOS settings. The PC will still POST, but with default CMOS settings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    What happened to the Corsair and M12II? Did you replace them because they died?

If not, do you still have the Corsair or M12II? Does the problem not happen with those PSUs?

Yeah.. the problem STARTED when you installed the Focus+, but the Focus+ was the latter of the three installed PSUs.

I'm with ashiekh here. If the PSU is turned off, there's no +5VSB and the BIOS has to rely completely on the battery to maintain your BIOS profile.
    Sold the CX750M and installed the M12II on a secondary PC that is not showing this behaviour.

You say the problem may be related to the +5VSB thing, I don't 100% sure about what that thing is but does it have something to do with the Focus+ and nothing to do with the earlier PSUs?
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    What?

If the CMOS battery is dead, it won't hold the CMOS settings. The PC will still POST, but with default CMOS settings.
    Yeah, I get that, if the battery runs out of power the PC will boot with default BIOS settings, yeah thats right, thats exactly the problem I'm facing since I installed this PSU.

As you guys might think, I don't feel like taking the PSU out and putting in that PC another PSU so is there anything I can try to solve this problem or find out what is actually triggering it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Replace the battery first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeedAChange View Post
    You say the problem may be related to the +5VSB thing, I don't 100% sure about what that thing is but does it have something to do with the Focus+ and nothing to do with the earlier PSUs?
    When the PC is "shut down", but the PSU is still "on" (still getting power from the wall), it's in stand by. In stand by, the PSU continuously feeds power to the motherboard. One of the advantages of this is that it maintains your BIOS so your BIOS battery doesn't have to.

I don't think the Focus+ has any different +5VSB circuit than any other PSU. I think because you shut off the PC so much, your motherboard has relied almost completely on the BIOS battery to maintain the settings that it's finally drained. It's only a coincidence it happened to be with this last PSU swap.

Most of the time, the CMOS batter is not rechargeable. So when it's dead, its dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You can easily replace it.