Thread: Budget Fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Budget Fans

This is more of a question to Tator Tot since he knows alot about fans.

I want a good cheap fan, I know that I won't get fdb or something similar for my price range.

My requeriments are:
    - Around 10 euros per fan;
    - A good bearing type, which can be mounted horizontaly;
    - 120/140mm
    - A little static pressure, since I have one honeycomb and one mesh filter;
    - I have noise cancelling headphones, so I don't need silent fans, but I want some relativly quiet ones;
    - PWM.

https://www.kuantokusta.pt/informati...-Caixas?sort=3

One more thing, how much maintenance does a sleeve bearing need? How long do they last?

Yes, I know, I already made a similar thread to this one, but in the other I didn't get a viable answear to my question so I made this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Coolink Swif 120P is probably your best option for 120mm fans. They use a modified rifle bearing that has more or a sealed oil chamber than a traditional rifle bearing meaning you get less oil evaporation over time.
    I used to have a review of these online but the site is down. Their price used to be a bit steep but 10 Euro isn't a bad deal for them. There are quieter fans on the market but I actually like these a bit more than other options available in your price range as they have a pretty good PWM Range (800-1700 RPM)

The other option I would recommend is the Deepcool UF140. I never got around to doing a proper review of this fan but I did review it's little brother the UF120 and was pretty impressed with everything besides it's old MSRP. This line of fans is far more durable than your standard offerings due to the 2BB and the overall materials used for construction. The big flaw is the mediocre PWM circuit that is present on these fans. With voltage based control you can get the speed down lower than PWM.
    A thing to keep in mind with these 140mm variants is that they use 120mm mounting holes which I personally find obnoxious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I hope that I can keep them out of sight, or else they wil ruin my black and white build.

And how much maintenance will they need? How much time until there's a need to change the oil?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    ... meaning you get less oil evaporation over time
    I am probably wrong but it is hard to imagine much evaporation; perhaps that is because I use engine oil to refill my fans, and even at engine temperatures there is not much evaporation. Now the original fans probably use much thinner oil, and they hardly seem to have much in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Schofts View Post
    And how much maintenance will they need? How much time until there's a need to change the oil?
    Computer fans are intended to be maintenance free, and not opened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    325 Posts

How about we replace the term "evaporation" with "seepage" because that's really what happens.

But of course the oil used in these fans are fairly low viscosity. They don't want the oil to wear out the motor or prevent low voltage start up (in the case of a variable speed fan, of course).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Seepage I could believe, but I haven't had any issues with fully synthetic 5W-50 motor oil even if I am probably a bit over-generous when re-oiling.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 02-11-2018 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Well I hope that I can keep them out of sight, or else they wil ruin my black and white build.
    You could paint the blades if you want.

If you hear any grinding, or motor stuttering then I would take them apart and oil them. My suggestion is synthetic model train oil. It's pretty easy to find if you have any model hobby shops in your area. The oil itself is pretty durable and one bottle will go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Computer fans are intended to be maintenance free, and not opened.
    Not entirely true. Some fans, like many of Enermax offerings, offer the ability to take the blades off of the motor in order to clean them.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Seepage I could believe, but I haven't had any issues with fully synthetic 5W-50 motor oil even if I am probably a bit over-generous when re-oiling.
    As I said above, synthetic model train oil works really well for re-oiling fans. You can get a small bottle for $5 USD and it will last forever as most fans just need a drop or two. You also don't have to worry about any issues with viscosity that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Some fans, like many of Enermax offerings, offer the ability to take the blades off of the motor in order to clean them.
    You also don't have to worry about any issues with viscosity that way.
    I find cotton swabs allow one to clean the blades without the need to take them off.

The higher viscosity might actually be a desirable thing, although perhaps I should be using fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid rather than engine oil.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 02-12-2018 at 02:30 PM.