Thread: Power supply extension cables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power supply extension cables

Hi everyone,

Normally I use some local forum to ask my pc questions (that's why I;m totally new here). Though regarding PSU I found there to be a lot of misconceptions and contradictory information. So I came here to ask you advice to try and avoid confusion.

So I've just bought a second hand pc with a r9 290x to upgrade my pc and it was running a antec truepower new 550w combined with a i5-750. I was doubting if this power supply wasn't maxed out for to long of a period of time because 3 out out of the 4 dimm slots on the mobo died...(PSU related?). So i decided to use my own fsp 450W oem supply. To be clear I put a gtx 650 and i5-3550P in this case so it was out of the oem case (The r9 290x is in my gaming rig with a descent 650M vengeance).

Now my question is would I be safer using this unknown used psu or this well known fsp oem psu with some extension cables? And if I use some extension cables would a kit on aliexpress be reliable? anyone any experience with these cables? I looked around by FAQ and searched for multiple words but couldn't find a similar thread. I might have used the wrong words because I've never used such cable and normally try to avoid using any extension or splitters in general. I couldn't find any guidelines on using links so I'll avoid them for now.

I was looking at these extension cables on aliexpress (sellers/stores):
    WinfMOD Pro Water Cooling Modification Center
    ZERO Water Cooling
    Shenzhen Kai Shi Jia Electronic Co., Ltd.

What would be my safest option/best option? I would rather not buy a new power supply but if really necessary to be safe it would be final option of the three solutions. I tried my best to break no rule use proper english and not to start a duplicate tread so if I did please tell me and I will try to solve the issue. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 01-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Antec TruePower New 550W is a great power supply, probably a lot better then your FSP. Using extension cables with an R9 290X also isn't smart. It's also extremely unlikely that a PSU kills a DIMM slot on your motherboard. You also sure they are all dead? Also tested with a different CPU? Because the memory controller is inside the CPU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

OP edited for legibility.

New threads are preferred over bumping old ones; even if it's a duplicate.

Linking is fine as long as it's not Spam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Antec TruePower New 550W is a great power supply, probably a lot better then your FSP. Using extension cables with an R9 290X also isn't smart. It's also extremely unlikely that a PSU kills a DIMM slot on your motherboard. You also sure they are all dead? Also tested with a different CPU? Because the memory controller is inside the CPU.
    Thanks a lot for the information.

I know the antec should be better I read the review here of the 750W model if I'm right and read some reviews on other sides of the 550W. Though the Psu is making some very distinctive high pitched noise when plugged in, even when turned off after use. The only way to get rid of it is by turning the psu off and draining it by the power button (no idea of this noise could be serious concern/problem). Regarding the r9 290x I might have not been clear enough but I meant to say that the r9 290x is driven by a totally different power supply in another rig. I just wanted to emphasize that the antec psu might have had a very rough life (powering the r9 290x) and the fsp hasn't (100% it has always been used in the same system which hasn't been utilized or stressed very much).

My main question would be if these psu extension cables would be safe combined with the ivy bridge i5 (locked) and the gtx 650 on the FSP (~400W) power supply? The gtx 650 is a very low powered card it has a 64Watt max power draw by the nvidia spec sheet on their site.

Regarding the dimm slots, I've never seen anything like this 3 slots seem to be broken which seems very odd. I've never seen this before most of the time 2 out of 4 will die. I did not use the sellers cpu and tested the mobo with one of my own so I suppose there is a very small chance both cpu's would be crippled. It has some kind of 'memok!' function from asus (never seen it before) but that doesn't seem to help either. Sometimes it will boot with the first and second slots being used and recognized (no dual channel). But most of the time it won't boot at all when using any other than that specific first slot (which only works 90% of the time). I checked for bent/broken pins but seems like there are zero. Also tried different memory. Checked for some strange lifted capacitors, broken soldering, exploded anything and check for bios updates. I also lifted all of the heat sinks (even on the chipset). The mobo also does not seem to have any deep or weird scratches so I'm puzzled... I'll just trow it out as it is most likely just broken (it really is a shame).

Sorry for the long post offtopic will try to avoid it next time... If you're interested or have any good ideas just send me a message otherwise I'll trow it away.

Thanks for your time and effort mask and also jonnyGURU himself for editing my post.
    Last edited by picklepie; 01-24-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Pickle > Why do u need an extension for? PSU cables too short? Obviously, when forced to use an extension, the shortest possible & with a wire-terminal gauge of 16AWG is preferred, BitFenix may be a source for such extensions, so do what u can to hunt down the premium type, if u do decide to use them

If you had say TitanZ @375w or Radeon 295x2 @450w, I'd say extensions are 'not smart', but for semi-high-power Grfx like 290x 1080Ti @250w I'd qualify the use of extensions as 'not ideal', yet, thousands of people are probably using them as we speak without issue, see forum link below & decide

Best Advice: buy a new good PSU with the correct cable lengths / consider an extension kit a temporary solution, for reasons above & below

Do cable extensions have negative effect on PSU performance?
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cass-Olé thanks for your replay.

Though I'm not sure if I wasn't clear last post if so my bad again, sorry
    Though what i mean to say: if I used extension cables those will be used on the fsp power supply powering a gtx 650 and a ivy bridge i5. Would that be safe? Does anyone have any experience with those aliexpress extensions or know somebody that uses those extensions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Hmm...

Let's make sure you understand something first....

Extension cables extend the existing cables if they're too short or you want prettier looking cables Cass-Olé was asking why you needed extension cables at all. Are the FSP's cables too short?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Hmm...

Let's make sure you understand something first....

Extension cables extend the existing cables if they're too short or you want prettier looking cables Cass-Olé was asking why you needed extension cables at all. Are the FSP's cables too short?
    Yes (they are to short) thanks a lot for the clarification.
    To set things straight I dont blame anyone but myself if something wasn't clear in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll find that a portion of members here have a background in science & so generally scoff at or outright cringe over the thought of the 'resistive coupling' & tend to discourage their use whenever or wherever possible; 'paths of least resistance' are a virtue as they should be, which is why connexion-less cables with the fattest wire & best terminals are optimal, where 'extensions' may = not me not mine

The (stock) GTX 650 is 64w, x1 6pin > the 3 Aliexpress companies you listed offer 18AWG extensions > safe? < on such a low-power card + unknown i5, then I guess > buy the shortest possible, 20Cm preferred, & strive for good air-flow in your case

Ali-X search results for 16AWG 6pin ... (unsightly unsleeved 16g is probably better than a pretty sleeved 18g)

Whether you or someone like you, if something is needed to bridge the gap a mere several inches | Cm, the EVGA Nvidia PowerLink may or may not work on all Grfx models, rated up to 300w, research your card before purchasing

Feel free to wait for other member input / opinion / advice, the quality of cables offered on Ali-X isn't something I have information about ... remember to consider a new power supply more in line with your present or future needs

Few if any one here wants to publicly endorse or sign off on the use of extensions, I can't believe it's me doing it, but, 65watt card?, 18AWG?, I think you'll be ok --> buy a short 16AWG cable = best advice
    Surfin' with the Alien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Cass-olé,

I did not post anything because it took me some time before I had the time to build the system and test it properly. I decided to use the antec supply because that one should have been the best option.
    Though something strange happened today. The system worked fine for a day or three but today the system wouldn't boot any further than the screen where there is a legend of buttons to go for example to the bios. Though I was unable to select any option. I tried booting the system several times (like eight times or so) but no succes.
    Then I tried the fsp power supply and some other ram (did not know if it was a ram or psu problem) and the system would boot normally. So I changed back the old ram and the system works flawlessly. I've declared the antec supply death (I SUPPOSE I'm lucky the rest of the hardware still works). I'll go out and buy a new Psu this week which one I'm still undecided but i will take a look at the test results on this site .

Thanks a lot for al the replays and clarification on both ends!