Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Running a Phenom II X6 1090 on a single EPS connector blew the PSU

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    romania
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Running a Phenom II X6 1090 on a single EPS connector blew the PSU

    Hi,

    PSU: Coolmax ZX 700 (I know, not the best).
    My old ASUS M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AMD) mobo gave up the ghost.
    Bought a cheapo AM3+, it has just one EPS connector (the Asus had 2 and I ran it with both connected).

    Set everything up, not booting.
    Got the smart idea to try the other EPS connector. Booted, long beep (memory missing) then fireworks. It also blew the fuse in the house.
    Out of warranty so cracked the PSU up. The fuse is intact, but an integrated circuit next to the big radiator is a bit exploded.

    Fortunately I previously disconnected everything from the mobo.

    Now, am I to blame for trying to run an 125W CPU on a single EPS connector? The mobo specifically supports it and only has one.
    What are the chances I burned the mobo and CPU? Any chance to RMA the board if ded?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,024
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    405
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    The Asus had the extra connector for extra power stability. I wouldn't say you're at fault. It was either the board, or that power supply. The power supply probably isn't even close to being able to output 700w of power. It was most likely built poorly and that's why it failed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    romania
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    The Asus had the extra connector for extra power stability. I wouldn't say you're at fault. It was either the board, or that power supply. The power supply probably isn't even close to being able to output 700w of power. It was most likely built poorly and that's why it failed.
    What about the chances that the PSU killed everything? Any idea, does a PSU spike when dying? Or is it chance: a case by case scenario?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Missouri; USA
    Posts
    5,024
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    405
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoalbi View Post
    What about the chances that the PSU killed everything? Any idea, does a PSU spike when dying? Or is it chance: a case by case scenario?
    A /well/ designed power supply should not damage the board but given that it's a Coolmax there is a strong chance that it did.

    The motherboard manufacturer probably won't RMA the board (at least without a repair fee) if the fault was the PSU not the board. Even when the fault is the board (like MOSFETs failing) they can often try to blame the power supply.
    Coolmax in that case, would be required to warranty the product damaged by theirs but I doubt they will.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    romania
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    A /well/ designed power supply should not damage the board but given that it's a Coolmax there is a strong chance that it did.

    The motherboard manufacturer probably won't RMA the board (at least without a repair fee) if the fault was the PSU not the board. Even when the fault is the board (like MOSFETs failing) they can often try to blame the power supply.
    Coolmax in that case, would be required to warranty the product damaged by theirs but I doubt they will.
    I do too.
    Thanks,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    romania
    Posts
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    A /well/ designed power supply should not damage the board but given that it's a Coolmax there is a strong chance that it did.

    The motherboard manufacturer probably won't RMA the board (at least without a repair fee) if the fault was the PSU not the board. Even when the fault is the board (like MOSFETs failing) they can often try to blame the power supply.
    Coolmax in that case, would be required to warranty the product damaged by theirs but I doubt they will.
    This might explain why on that computer I had a 480G PNY SSD dead, and then the comp started behaving erratically (sometimes booted with only 5 CPU cores visible) before the Asus mobo died too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    93
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    199
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I don't trust a 700W PSU with only 1 PCIe 6+2 connector + 1 PCIe 6 pins, because the manufacturer obviously doesn't trust in 700W (or even 550)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,415
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManoloKosh View Post
    I don't trust a 700W PSU with only 1 PCIe 6+2 connector + 1 PCIe 6 pins, because the manufacturer obviously doesn't trust in 700W (or even 550)
    Except if we are talking about InWin....
    They make great PSU but save a bit too much on cables and make the PSU not recommendable by doing so. Even if their products are very good...

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

    ManoloKosh (01-20-2018)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,515
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    502
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    46
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

    Default

    Your CPU should be able to run off a single EPS12V connector w/o problem. If that wasn't the case, your new "cheapo" (that's not a brand) motherboard wouldn't have shipped with just one.

    You're welcome to take some pics of the internals of your PSU and post them, but IIRC, there aren't many PSUs in the world that are worse.

    That particular PSU, if it even has all the proper protections, probably has a very loose tolerance on them so even a failure that is protected could still cause fireworks and mass destruction.

    I've had that same Coolmax platform even damage Sun Moon testers in the past.

    You just need to stop buying "cheapo" components so you can have a better piece of mind.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

    Cyrix (01-20-2018), ehume (01-20-2018), ManoloKosh (01-20-2018), Philipus II (01-20-2018)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,592
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    61
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-23-2018, 06:55 AM
  2. AMD Phenom to Phenom II Upgrade Article from Corsair
    By Yellowbeard in forum General PC Hardware
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •