Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct powering of GPU risers off Seasonic Prime 850w

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Correct powering of GPU risers off Seasonic Prime 850w

I have a Prime 850 I want to use in mining environment. I should say it wasn't at first purchased for this role and was actually sitting in its retail packaging awaiting to be used for a year.

However I will be attempting to use it temporally until I can find a larger or combine 2 PSU's together in the future, if and when I expand my rig from the 6 to perhaps 12 cards.

Even now I know I might be close to the limit of the PSU for my use. So I have a few questions please.

This will be powering 6 AMD rx570 in the UK on 240v I expect to be drawing 800 with under volting, but maybe higher I do not know for certain yet. Now I know Seasonic units are slightly over specced. So hopefully this will not be too much of a concern for the next few months until I add another PSU, or if I even do if I am being honest. Is this OK on this highly rated PSU or do you think this will be too much of a concern?

Next I have read that the Sata cables are not a good way to connect the GPU risers, because of the amps that can be drawn and the Sata connection isn't fully up to spec in this area.

I have purchased these

I see some come with Molex connectors on the Risers which would be better if I had enough Molex runs from the Seasonic. The Molex runs I have with it I will have to use to power the Motherboard via the 2 Molex headers.

Some of these risers have a Female Sata to a Molex intermediate cable supplied with them which you connect to your PSU Sata connectors (which to my eyes is the same problem not specced for the job) some have a Sata to 6 pin cable also, but isn't that still the problem joining the 2 Sata connections and the connector not being up to Spec? However I hate using additional cables in between specced cables and hardware wherever possible to reduce problems and knowledge of the quality of the items.

The Seasonic power supply has the 6 PCI-e connectors I want and seems to have 1 Molex run which I will use to power the Motherboard and loads of Sata cables,

My question

The PCI-e cables I have only referencing Jonny's excellent review shows they are single connectors with 8 and 6 pin at the end on 18 gauge wire.

As my risers will have all three connections on board Sata, Molex and 6 pin. Would I be better off purchasing an 8 pin to 2 x 8 pin splitter with the 2 wire split 6 Pin type ends. So they could be provisioned later in other builds to use them to supply power from the Seasonic cable feeding the GPU header on the card down to the Riser. This is obviously making sure the quality of the cable and connectors purchased look good. Below is only a sample of what I am referring to.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-e-8pi...AAAOSwVJhZVJih

As far as I can see it this would be a better solution, but would I hit limitations later if I added more powerful GPU's?

Or do think I am over thinking this and because I am using no joining cables from the PSU I could quite safely connect the Sata connectors to the Risers Sata and monitor the temps of the cables in use? There would no other Sata connectors used apart from the 2 riser connector limit on one run of cable I am aware of. Where I might connect two risers to each Sata cable from the PSU?

Thank you I hope someone can clarify best practice here.

Sorry for wall of text and Happy Christmas everyone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will be powering 6 AMD rx570 in the UK on 240v I expect to be drawing 800 with under volting, but maybe higher I do not know for certain yet. Now I know Seasonic units are slightly over specced. So hopefully this will not be too much of a concern for the next few months until I add another PSU, or if I even do if I am being honest. Is this OK on this highly rated PSU or do you think this will be too much of a concern?
    Dude, the Seasonic Prime series are among the best quality and performance desktop PSU's available those days.
    If you are referring to what you recently read on the forum, it is about the S12II an old model that is in the same range as the Corsair VS and CX series. Your PSU simply does not compare to S12II, it's from a different league either is a titanium, platinum or gold one.
    EDIT: And it is the only brand at the moment that sends the PSU for the reviews directly from stores and not from their factory, so what we see in reviews is what you buy and are not Golden Samples which can be tweaked to be better than reatail ones, or worst, completley different platform. If you just look on the other thread you will understand what I mean.

If it's a Prime Titanium, that would deliver a maximum of 1098W and if is a Prime Gold or Platinum about 924W until the protections will kick in.

Anyway I recommend you a PSU with about 1000W for safety 24/7 operations at full load.
    Last edited by Al3xand3r; 12-23-2017 at 01:51 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Al3xand3r For This Useful Post:

DeVitto (12-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for you response.

I know the quality of Seasonic PSU's hence my buying the unit in the first place. My questions were more centered on the safety issue with the risers, but I also had a concern about perhaps going to the stated limit of 850w or thereabouts 24/7.

I to noticed in testing the max wattage achieved under load. My question was could I operate OK at the 800w-850w if it turns out that high without the usual 20% odd allowance you normally build in before you buy. (I considered that I could knowing the quality of Seasonic units I just seeked other peoples thoughts.)

If I had known I was going down this route I would have purchased a higher wattage model like you suggested in hind sight a 1000w model.
    I was not referring to the S12II in any way having not read any thread about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeVitto View Post
    The PCI-e cables I have only referencing Jonny's excellent review shows they are single connectors with 8 and 6 pin at the end on 18 gauge wire.
    Correction: Jeremy wrote the review. Not me.

You have six cards that need one PCIe each. That eats up all the PCIe connectors.

Using Molex on riser cards will melt the modular connector if you use more than two or three on the same cable.

Adapters are horrible. They WILL catch fire and melt.

You're using the wrong tools for the job. If you have to use risers to support your graphics cards, you should use PCIe connectors to supply power to those risers.

Every day I see people using risers with adapters and/or SATA or Molex connectors and every day I see melted connectors.

You need a PSU with more PCIe connectors. Even if you don't need that much power for your six cards, you should do it because it has the correct number of connectors WITHOUT using adapters.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

DeVitto (12-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Sorry my mistake.

You have six cards that need one PCIe each. That eats up all the PCIe connectors.

Using Molex on riser cards will melt the modular connector if you use more than two or three on the same cable.

You're using the wrong tools for the job. If you have to use risers to support your graphics cards, you should use PCIe connectors to supply power to those risers.

Every day I see people using risers with adapters and/or SATA or Molex connectors and every day I see melted connectors.

You need a PSU with more PCIe connectors. Even if you don't need that much power for your six cards, you should do it because it has the correct number of connectors WITHOUT using adapters.
    Thank you for your clarification and it ties with my thinking on the use of the adapters on the risers. I thought having the PCI-e 8 pin extended might have provided the best solution in my situation, but going on your confirmation I will look for another PSU.

Without being to bias could you offer suggestion as to which power supply to buy that would allow me to safely power the riser and perhaps allow expansion to 12 cards? Would a 1500w with 850w have the connections I require, or will I need 3 PSU's if so is there any combinaton that would still retain the Seasonic in the build? I would have 1 free connector on the Seasonic left for PCI-e but no extra cable. Is there a way to source the cables.

How would you supply the necessary power requirements in this situation to allow for expansion to 12 cards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Just focus on the number of PCIe connectors the PSU has and go from there.

Even if the PSU has "pig-tail" connectors where there's two PCIe connectors on a single cable is 500% better than using an adapter to split one PCIe into two.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

DeVitto (12-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you I will follow your advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@jonnyGURU,

Is there a power supply that has been tested here with a significant number of PCIe connectors that would be useful for mining? I just purchased (6) AMD Vega 64s which have 2x 8pin PCIe connector per card and was trying to determine the safest way to power these bad boys. Multiple power supplies are fine if there is not one with sufficient cabling. I can also go either 4 or 5 cards per setup, but every add'l setup has the added cost of another mobo, memory, cpu, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

jonnyGURU,

I have searched a bit online, but I cannot find PCIe risers that can be used for mining that use a PCIe connector to power the riser card. I would use the PCIe cables from the PS to power the Vega 64 cards separately, but most of the riser cards seem to be powered another way (usb, sata, molex, etc)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Mailiya 6-Pack PCIe Dual Chip PCI-E 16x to 1x Powered Riser Adapter Card w/ 60cm USB 3.0 Extension Cable & 6 Pin PCI-E to SATA Power Cable - GPU Riser Adapter Extender Cable - Ethereum Mining ETH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PS39BK..._--RrAbVYEY05D
    https://m.ebay.ca/itm/USB3-0-1x-to-1...06?_mwBanner=1
    Random picks