Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Let’s discuss about the quality of Seasonic S12 PSUs again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    You know when I built my first PC with a case-included PSU I blame myself, I don't blame others. Stop pointing fingers at people and lists and blaming them. It's their own fault if they don't do their research.
    That's not an entirely accurate statement to make. Unfortunately the mass populous doesn't know the secret techniques of "Google-fu" and often use rather generic search terms like "gaming power supply recommendation" or "best computer power supply"

If you plug those terms into Google you thankfully get a Tom's article published by Aris but many of the results below that are tier lists on forums and lists / recommendations by other sites and forums with hardly any useful information that compare units like the EVGA 500B to the Corsair RM550x.

Just because the information is out there doesn't mean that everyone knows how to access it or even considers the proper search terms to come remotely close to finding it.

On a personal level, I was very excited to see Aris join up at Tom's as they will almost always top DIY PC related search results and this finally meant that information they had on power supplies would be reliable and detailed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here is my DMM measuring results from other topic. Software readings are not correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overclocked View Post
    Finally I measured voltages of the new PC which has Seasonic S12 620W.
    5v and 12v rails are again easy to measure from MOLEX. For 3.3V measuring, I used sata power connector again but in a different way. One cable has more than one connector. The last connector has some space for inserting the probes. So 5 wire are feeding 15 pins. 3.3V, 5V , 12V and two COM wires. You can check the pinouts. So you can also measure from the wire connection points instead of 15 pins.

Here are the new pc results with seasonic s12;

IDLE (Desktop);

HWMonitor results:
    3.3V rail: 3.440V - 3.456V
    5V rail: 5.040V - 5.080V
    12V rail: 12.384V

TT T-ECHNI-C MY62 DMM multimeter results:
    3.3V rail: 3.39V -3.40V
    5V rail: 4.97V - 4.99V
    12V rail: 12.13V - 12.15V

So, I worried about 3.3V rail output because it goes up to 3.456V which is too close to the upper limit compared with ATX %5 tolerance. (3.465V) But as you can see, software results are totally wrong. 3.39V is fine value compared with ATX standards.

Here are my system specs:
    Asus Dual GTX 1060 3 GB VGA card (NO OVERCLOCK)
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU (STOCK SPEEDS AND STOCK COOLER)
    MSI B350 PC MATE motherboard
    2 x 8 GB Crucial DDR4 memory sticks 2133 mhz 1.2V (NO OC)
    WD Caviar Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB HDD
    PC case with 12 cm 5 fans. (Variant of Gamemax Falcon)
    Seasonic S12ii 620W. Product date: May 2017
    No SSD.

LOAD TESTING:
    Set my pc case fans to max rpm via fan controller.
    Started AIDA64 stress test (CPU, GPU, HDD and RAM stress tests started.) (I didn't start FPU and cache tests because they are unnecessary. With only CPU test, cpu consumes up to 75Watts.)

HWMonitor software results:
    3.3V rail: 3.424V - 3.440 V
    5V rail: 5.040V - 5.080 V
    12V rail: 12.192V - 12.288V

TT T-ECHNI-C MY62 multimeter results:
    3.3V rail: 3.39V - 3.40V (3.38V for less then 0.5 seconds i saw.)
    5V rail: 5.01V - 5.02V
    12V rail: 12.04V - 12.06V

As you can see, software results are worrying. Voltage fluctuations are high and 3.3V goes to upper limit etc. But they are completely wrong again. Aahh crappy sensor of the motherboard.
    But multimeter results are very nice for both idle and load testing.
    So I don't need to worry about 3.3V output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
    Tom’s Hardware tier list --> okay

Tom's hardware tier list is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine . It's run by a bunch of fan boys who believe seasonic can do no wrong and anyone else can do no right.
    thanks for saying this

i got banned from this particular "site" cause i mentioned to a user that An Antec Earthwatts Green 380D watt power supply was more than enough for such a low power 200 watt system. I got banned by the fanboys, "his system was at high risk cause of my suggestion"

The guy was running an new Intel Pentium processor,8 gb of ram, a older gen video card,and an ssd..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    That's not an entirely accurate statement to make. Unfortunately the mass populous doesn't know the secret techniques of "Google-fu" and often use rather generic search terms like "gaming power supply recommendation" or "best computer power supply"

If you plug those terms into Google you thankfully get a Tom's article published by Aris but many of the results below that are tier lists on forums and lists / recommendations by other sites and forums with hardly any useful information that compare units like the EVGA 500B to the Corsair RM550x.

Just because the information is out there doesn't mean that everyone knows how to access it or even considers the proper search terms to come remotely close to finding it.

On a personal level, I was very excited to see Aris join up at Tom's as they will almost always top DIY PC related search results and this finally meant that information they had on power supplies would be reliable and detailed.
    You are correct that people don't do their research, according to some groups i won't mention we're fanboys who don't know what we are talking about. Most people look at a tier list right away and make a decision, which of course is just an opinion.

I had the same problem with a family member who i repaired a pc for, it was using an Allied PSU for the past 4 years.... when i suggested to switched to either a Antec Earthwatts green 380D, or a Corsair CX430... the only response i got was "why should i spend so much money on a new psu.." "they are the same just replace it with something cheap".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    thanks for saying this

i got banned from this particular "site" cause i mentioned to a user that An Antec Earthwatts Green 380D watt power supply was more than enough for such a low power 200 watt system. I got banned by the fanboys, "his system was at high risk cause of my suggestion"

The guy was running an new Intel Pentium processor,8 gb of ram, a older gen video card,and an ssd..
    I'd be curious to see this thread with my own eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I had the same problem with a family member who i repaired a pc for, it was using an Allied PSU for the past 4 years.... when i suggested to switched to either a Antec Earthwatts green 380D, or a Corsair CX430... the only response i got was "why should i spend so much money on a new psu.." "they are the same just replace it with something cheap".
    When I was still going to school, the IT department used their budget to buy 40 units of this thing. I kid you not.

Costs 15 dollars.
    Take me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    When I was still going to school, the IT department used their budget to buy 40 units of this thing. I kid you not.

Costs 15 dollars.
    Take me!!!
    Pretty Tacens for 10€ offer (inlove)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    I'd be curious to see this thread with my own eyes.
    I wish, it was deleted, which irritated me..

next time ill remember taking screenshots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Yes and then there are the guys that recommend 600W for a normal gaming PC or suggest a 750W for an i7-8600 or 8700 and some graphics card (don't remember, either 1070 or 1080ti)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Yes and then there are the guys that recommend 600W for a normal gaming PC or suggest a 750W for an i7-8600 or 8700 and some graphics card (don't remember, either 1070 or 1080ti)...
    I agree stefan if the persons budget is tight (hey it happens) and need something decent, and a normal gaming pc, i would usually recommend a Antec HCG,Corsair CX(new ones), or Seasonic S12.
    Of course if you can find a good gold unit on special and its just a smidge more, then go fot it..

Hell i still recommend to most people who just browse, light gaming,or just basic tasks, a CX450 is more than enough, or an Antec Earthwatts 380D, sure its bronze but its cheap.

Recent ban from a group on facebook about PC's "person was asking what best power supply for his money could he get"

Specs

AMD Ryzen 3
    AM4 Motherboard
    AMD Radeon RX 460 4GB
    16GB DDR4 mem
    A Samsung 240GB SSD
    and 2 2TB HDD's

His budget was tight so i suggested a Corsair CX450, if he plans to do overclocking maybe a CX550 if its on a good price.
    if not a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550

But no "you definitely need a 600-700 minimum watter for that"..is the common answer... which is why i always point everyone to this site.

I would still like to know (i've asked before but never gotten a response), is it possible to make a 350-400 watt platinum,titanium unit?