Thread: Quiet, short, modular PSU without passive mode?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Quiet, short, modular PSU without passive mode?

I realise that I am looking for a rather niche PSU for my ITX build (SG13), so any help would be appreciated. My requirements:

- Shallow depth (140mm preferred, 160mm max)
    - No passive mode (I will be using the PSU as exhaust so I'd like it to spin at low speeds under low load). I am not sure if the passive modes in the likes of Corsair RMs can be turned off.
    - Fully modular
    - Very quiet (I currently have a grey CX650M and I think the idle noise could be quieter)
    - 450 to ~700w range

SFX is also an option but I am not sure if they are quiet enough since they use smaller fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Your last requirement of 450W to 700W is a huge range actually. What are you looking to power with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    Your last requirement of 450W to 700W is a huge range actually. What are you looking to power with it?
    Right now I am running a Ryzen 3 1300X with RX580 8GB, but I do plan to get a 1080Ti and a Ryzen 5 / Coffee Lake i5. I put the range to ~700W because I thought running at lower % load would reduce fan speed. And to give some upgrade room of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heckinwoofer View Post
    Right now I am running a Ryzen 3 1300X with RX580 8GB, but I do plan to get a 1080Ti and a Ryzen 5 / Coffee Lake i5.
    550W is a good idea, more not so much.

I put the range to ~700W because I thought running at lower % load would reduce fan speed. And to give some upgrade room of course.
    No, that's wrong.
    You have to look at the PSU individually, you have to know when the plattform is changed and so on.

In general, you can't say anything about that stuff, it depends on design and layout!
    But more often than not, the higher wattage ones offer no advantage in noise or even a disadvantage (ie Bitfenix Whisper M, 550W vs. 650W and up)
    It all depends on the design, when either the plattform is changed or different heatsinks are used.

Some PSU (like the newer Bitfenix) use the same plattform but different fans for the entire lineup -> smallest ones have lower rpm fan rotating at around 400-500rpm while the higher ones rotate at almost double that. With no load...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    550W is a good idea, more not so much.

No, that's wrong.
    You have to look at the PSU individually, you have to know when the plattform is changed and so on.

In general, you can't say anything about that stuff, it depends on design and layout!
    But more often than not, the higher wattage ones offer no advantage in noise or even a disadvantage (ie Bitfenix Whisper M, 550W vs. 650W and up)
    It all depends on the design, when either the plattform is changed or different heatsinks are used.

Some PSU (like the newer Bitfenix) use the same plattform but different fans for the entire lineup -> smallest ones have lower rpm fan rotating at around 400-500rpm while the higher ones rotate at almost double that. With no load...
    I see. Thanks for explaining. The Bitfenix one seems good but is a little long. I'll have to measure if there's enough clearance with my AIO+2 fans. For 140mm ones there are the 550W Seasonics (Focus Plus Gold/Plat and Prime Ultra Gold/Plat) but I am not sure if their passive mode can be switched off. I'll probably wait for the Prime Ultra reviews first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Than take the other one:
    Formula, 550W or so.
    That one has a standard PS/2 case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Than take the other one:
    Formula, 550W or so.
    That one has a standard PS/2 case.
    The Formula isn't modular though. Need to minimise cable and clutter inside the SG13.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see. Thanks for explaining. The Bitfenix one seems good but is a little long. I'll have to measure if there's enough clearance with my AIO+2 fans. For 140mm ones there are the 550W Seasonics (Focus Plus Gold/Plat and Prime Ultra Gold/Plat) but I am not sure if their passive mode can be switched off. I'll probably wait for the Prime Ultra reviews first.
    Hello,

Like all our PSU's with Hybrid mode, you have a switch on the FOCUS Plus and PRIME Ultra to choose between the Hybrid mode and the normal mode.

Best Regards,

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Seasonic Rep For This Useful Post:

breixobaloca (12-15-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

- No passive mode (I will be using the PSU as exhaust so I'd like it to spin at low speeds under low load). I am not sure if the passive modes in the likes of Corsair RMs can be turned off.
    No. Corsair's Zero RPM mode can not be bypassed unless it's a LINK compatible unit (i.e. RMi vs. RMx).