Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacement fan suggestions for AX1200?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Not the AX1200.

AX1200 is a DBB Yate Loon.

And Corsair isn't going to send you a fan. Because to replace the fan, you have to open the PSU and that's not allowed under warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Corsair uses their own quality fans in the RMx/i, TX, & HX/i
    That's a little goofy if the flagship premium AX/AXi series uses Yate Loons and the cheaper models use better FDBs. Guess that shows the age of the AX models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Exactly. It was the first collaboration did with Flex and back then Corsair didn't have any cooling engineers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, but why not just swap the fans out later? The original AX1200 is 80+ Gold, but Corsair saw fit to update the design to 80+ Platinum with the AXi which still ships with Yate Loons. Given the price difference between the HXi and AXi if Corsair had silently upgraded the AXi models to FDB fans at some point I'd be much more inclined to consider one as a replacement this black friday week.

My bias against Yate Loons is that I know they are a budget brand that's been selling cheap spinners in bulk since 2007 (when I bought a 10-pack) and probably even earlier, and so I feel they shouldn't be something Corsair continues to promote in its "flagship" model. I still have Noctua fans from that era in the same rig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

You can't "silently update the fans" in any PSU. Changing out the fan requires very expensive recertification (UL, TÜV, etc.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Kougar (11-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, thanks for the explanation! Sounds like it's time for corsair to just launch a new flagship product then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
    That's a little goofy if the flagship premium AX/AXi series uses Yate Loons and the cheaper models use better FDBs. Guess that shows the age of the AX models.
    Rmx,Tx use rifle bearing.
    Rmi,Hxi use FDB.
    Last edited by none77; 11-22-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Noise got to be too much, and without an invoice a fan warranty wasn't going to be an option anyway.

I popped the cover off. I can actually hear the bearings grinding steadily as I turn the fan by hand. Added some light machine oil anyway and that silenced the ticking/clicking tonals, which should last long enough for me to find a replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
    I am not comfortable splicing in my own fan, the last time I tried that with a 2-wire case fan the electrical tape didn't stay sticky and eventually slid down the wires, with the end result being the fan shorted against the case and me writing off the PSU. I swore to never take that pointless risk again.

I'm half tempted to just buy a Noctua and connect it to the motherboard, especially as it will last beyond the five years of a replacement yate loon. I see Corsair still uses them in the AXi models. Does any manufacturer actually use a Noctua-level quality fans in their units?
    You should always solder and then use shrink tubing for the wires.
    Doing what you did is asking for trouble.

But so is your other idea, if you connect it to the mobo the power supply can't regulate the RPM according to the PSU load.
    And I'm not saying it will happen with a Corsair but some PSU's don't have over temp protection.
    So if the fan stops the PSU finally explodes when the solder starts melting (guess how I know!)
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I was trying to research this, but all the reviews on this website dating between MARCH 20, 2017 and JUNE 23, 2008 are completely missing from the site.

Is the pinout for the AX1200 fans exactly the same as the mini-PWM GPU fans use? There are quality adapters for mini-PWM to full PWM everywhere these days, and I'd like to revert back to using the internal hookup for simplicity's sake and cleaner cable management.