Thread: Silent PSU to power a GTX 1080 Ti and a i7-8700k?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Silent PSU to power a GTX 1080 Ti and a i7-8700k?

Hey everyone. I'm back again after about a year this time for a new PSU recommendation.

Building another silent PC to go with the first that you guys helped me kit out. I'm looking for a recommendation that will sufficiently power a GTX 1080 Ti and a i7-8700k + the usual Mouse/KB, SSD and RAM etc.

Needs to be 80-Plus Gold or better. As I will be using the PC constantly for net use, gaming and it will be idling a lot. However, silence is also very, very important because I will be operating the PC close to recording equipment and a girlfriend doing her PhD studies

So far I was looking at:

Be Quiet Dark Power 11 [550W]:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=469

It seemed really quite nice, but I was worried it might run a little too close to the minimum recommended power. OuterVision's Power Supply Calculator put me at about 470W power consumption taking into account CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD and Mouse etc.

Then I checked out the HX750i:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...tory6&reid=392

Which got basically a perfect score. So I guess I'm pretty happy with this one. The only question is, is it quiet like the RM650i I have in my other PC and is the 750W Platnium rating a bit overkill?

The other option is that I get another RM650i. The first one I got for the last PC I made was a dud though, so I had to send it back. Corsair begrudgingly let me send it back with a pre-paid slip which was great.

What do you pros think ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    73 Posts

Are you gonna overclock the CPU and/or graphics card? If so by how much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leijonasisu View Post

~snip~

It seemed really quite nice, but I was worried it might run a little too close to the minimum recommended power. OuterVision's Power Supply Calculator put me at about 470W power consumption taking into account CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD and Mouse etc.
    If you are heavily overclocking then it's pushing it a little close.

Which got basically a perfect score. So I guess I'm pretty happy with this one. The only question is, is it quiet like the RM650i I have in my other PC and is the 750W Platnium rating a bit overkill?

The other option is that I get another RM650i. The first one I got for the last PC I made was a dud though, so I had to send it back. Corsair begrudgingly let me send it back with a pre-paid slip which was great.

What do you pros think ?
    The HXi uses the same platform as the RMi, they are effectively the same unit, just that one is gold rated and one is platinum rated. If software doesn't super matter to you then check out the newer HX series or the RMx series - different fan and with no software control but they are cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    If you are heavily overclocking then it's pushing it a little close.
    You need a crowbar to get that far...
    And kill your components within a year.
    And remember that nVidia stated that with 100% Voltage and increased powerlimit you will kill the chip within a year or so.

550W is plenty for most situations, not that easily archieved...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey everyone. I'm back again after about a year this time for a new PSU recommendation.

Building another silent PC to go with the first that you guys helped me kit out. I'm looking for a recommendation that will sufficiently power a GTX 1080 Ti and a i7-8700k + the usual Mouse/KB, SSD and RAM etc.

Needs to be 80-Plus Gold or better. As I will be using the PC constantly for net use, gaming and it will be idling a lot. However, silence is also very, very important because I will be operating the PC close to recording equipment and a girlfriend doing her PhD studies

So far I was looking at:

What do you pros think ?
    Hello! I was looking for something to power a 1080ti oc and 3570k , tried dark power 11 750 w , great power supply, excelent fan noise, but pcie cables will clutter your case , look at cable datasheet, to power a 2x8 pin gpu , you will have to clutter your case with 2 cables each with Y 2x8 pin if you want a good power delivery . I have tried also the new hx750w 2017 version that has same platform as hxi , excelent fan noise. Unfortunately both corsair and be quiet, produced some coil whine in my gpu, be quiet giving it also in browser but a little bit quieter than corsair in games .

Had for test also a seasonic prime platinum 1000w that made the coil whine at the psu level but more acceptable , but the fan noise was a little iritating . Now I'm searching a ultra 750 titanium to test it for fan noise .

To mention a thing that I can't prove , in unigine, my 1080ti seemed to make smaller flickering at objects/shadows with the seasonic prime , second beeing dark power 11 and corsair with a more pronounce flicker although I tried dark power and hx 2017 in single and multi rail .

Seasonic fan rpm and db for some psu's https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php...base&manfID=12