Thread: Seasonic PRIME 650 Titanium fan noise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seasonic PRIME 650 Titanium fan noise

So I'm having a similar issue to what users in this thread have been experiencing - faint ratcheting noise on low fan speeds:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...83eb49#p605723

Also can be heard here (note people's comments too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhjF08bk1jo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sF0QIyunbA

Here's the sound of mine:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzi...ew?usp=sharing

Looks like the new FDB fan Seasonic is using isn't that great, which is a shame for such, otherwise, excellent unit.

I wonder how common this issue is? I've been in contact with Seasonic support and they claim it's not common. Perhaps, majority is not that sensitive to it or just have louder case fans.
    I've purposefully built a virtually silent system and, while being faint, it's literally my noisiest component when idling.

If it's a common issue with the new fans, I'm just afraid replacing the PSU wouldn't help.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Yeah Hong Hua FDB isn't great, had a Antec Edge with Hong Hua FDB fan which also had bearing noise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Yeah Hong Hua FDB isn't great, had a Antec Edge with Hong Hua FDB fan which also had bearing noise.
    Does that sound like a bearing noise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

I actually didn't see the video's, but after seeing, I don't hear anything special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    I actually didn't see the video's, but after seeing, I don't hear anything special.
    You mean you don't hear that "brrrrrrrrr" noise fan is making? Or is it normal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

Thank you for your message.
    If not wrong, you have contacted our support about this issue. Note that the noise measurement is made at 50cm from the PSU. If you can hear the PSU at more than 50cm in IDLE using the Normal mode then, please kindly contact our support and we will glad to assist you on this.

Thank you.
    Best Regards,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for your message.
    If not wrong, you have contacted our support about this issue. Note that the noise measurement is made at 50cm from the PSU. If you can hear the PSU at more than 50cm in IDLE using the Normal mode then, please kindly contact our support and we will glad to assist you on this.

Thank you.
    Best Regards,
    Correct, I've been in contact with Seasonic support about this issue for a while. I was proposed to open an RMA case for a possible exchange, but it's a long process (with paid return shipping and no cross shipping options available) and seeing some other people complaints (also from people who received the replacement units), I'm not sure if it's guaranteed to help. That's why I'm trying to understand if that's a normal amount of noise from this particular fan and to either live with it or just go for a different power supply. If Seasonic insisted that it is definitely NOT normal and most units do not and should not exhibit this issue, I'd gladly opt for the RMA option, but I had no definite answer so far.

The PSU is about 2 arm lengths from where I sit (so about 1.5 meters) and I believe having the wall in close proximity to the rear exhaust exaggerates the issue as it reflects the sound right back into my face.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
    So I'm having a similar issue to what users in this thread have been experiencing - faint ratcheting noise on low fan speeds:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums...83eb49#p605723

Also can be heard here (note people's comments too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhjF08bk1jo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sF0QIyunbA

Here's the sound of mine:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzi...ew?usp=sharing

Looks like the new FDB fan Seasonic is using isn't that great, which is a shame for such, otherwise, excellent unit.

I wonder how common this issue is? I've been in contact with Seasonic support and they claim it's not common. Perhaps, majority is not that sensitive to it or just have louder case fans.
    I've purposefully built a virtually silent system and, while being faint, it's literally my noisiest component when idling.

If it's a common issue with the new fans, I'm just afraid replacing the PSU wouldn't help.

Thoughts?
    madwolfa I had same fan ''brrr'' on my seasonic prime 1000w like in video number 2 - youtube . I returned to reseeler the psu as it was in the returning 14 days policy .

Now I want to buy a seasonic prime ultra 750w titanium becouse it has a fan with a max rotation of 1600 rpm . Tried be quiet dark power 11 750 and hx 750 corsair 2017 with excelent fan noise , can't hear them in my very silent system . But both psu's made some coil whine in my gpu in single or either multi rail setup while the prime 1000w kept the coil whine at ineer psu and it was alot more acceptable. I know coil whine differs from model to model and from piece to piece .

This are the max fan rpm specs that I know from seasonic and I think the data is the same for eu and usa , I don't know rpm at load of psu , only max rpm : Hope it helps others to make a good choosing .

Prime:
    750 Titanium 1800rpm
    750 Platinum 2000rpm
    Prime Ultra:
    750 Titanium 1600rpm
    750 Platinum 1800rpm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
    Does that sound like a bearing noise?
    Probably more like Motor Noise...

But yeah, I've heard from a couple of people in German Forums that they were very unhappy with the fan Seasonic uses in their Prime units...

I have another PSU with a 140mm Hong Hua Fan and its the worst fan I've ever heard, even though it rotates with just 350rpm...