Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quiet PSU at prolonged high load?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    It depends one the price difference and warranty.
    I went with a new hx750, little louder but I realize I'm jaded by an abnormally loud old psu. Also room to expand, can even run another 390.. not that I would lol. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StormShadow View Post
    I'm stupid, the HX/RMi PSUs need a corsair link.. never gonna be worth it to just keep the PSU fan running, since my mobo controls the rest of the fans.. yay moar powar for mee
    EDIT: unless the fan bearings are that much better?
    The HX/HXi and RMi all use the Protechnic FDB.

The Link software also lets you monitor actual PSU voltage, current and you can log power consumption across different tasks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

StormShadow (10-30-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post

The Link software also lets you monitor actual PSU voltage, current and you can log power consumption across different tasks.
    Oh ya, that sounded good too. know what else sounds good? the 650 g3 i went with fan switch to on, gaming I can hear the gpu spin down between maps! the psu sounds like a decent breeze, feels like it too lol...at idle - i hear nothing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Oh ya, that sounded good too. know what else sounds good? the 650 g3 i went with fan switch to on, gaming I can hear the gpu spin down between maps! the psu sounds like a decent breeze, feels like it too lol...at idle - i hear nothing
    Do you have ECO mode turned on? Multiple people have reported that the G3 line is unbearably loud with ECO mode turned on.

EG:

https://img.purch.com/w/600/aHR0cDov...dyYXBoLkpQRw==

https://img.purch.com/w/600/aHR0cDov...dyYXBoLnBuZw==

From Tomshardware (Reviewed by Aris) both the G3 850 and 1000w jumped to ~90% speed at approx 50w load.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    Do you have ECO mode turned on? Multiple people have reported that the G3 line is unbearably loud with ECO mode turned on.
    One of the reasons I went with this unit was the ability to keep the fan on, a PSU seems like a foolish source of a lot of heat, especially for an inaudible difference to my rig. I've never even tried it in ECO mode lol.

I saw those noise numbers and wondered if the graphic on newegg was lying - that chart showed a maximum noise output just above 25dBA. There are no reviews of the 650w unit to check. But it was the same graphic on EVGA's website so I figured if it was lying I could make newegg take it back. Wasn't Lying

I'm not sure I even wanna test ECO mode as I actually dropped my GPU a slot cuz the 390 seemed to be increasing my CPU temps at load since it went in a week ago (it's the reason for the new PSU). In the top slot there was barely any space between the GPU and the big NH-D15 (CPU cooler), it was also directly over the chipset. Now same thing between GPU and PSU (suddenly wondering how slot 3 would work, will look later). Only effect is max temp spike(GPU) goes to 74c now instead of 72. But it's just a momentary spike. The CPU spike at the same time is several degrees cooler there (BF4 between maps), and it's a few degrees cooler at idle. I may reapply the TIM, it used to be a bit cooler before.

Why am I not concerned with the GPU? Because it has the lifetime warranty from the 7970 it replaced carried over. Thanks XFX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

One of the reasons I went with this unit was the ability to keep the fan on, a PSU seems like a foolish source of a lot of heat, especially for an inaudible difference to my rig. I've never even tried it in ECO mode lol.
    That's because an efficient, well laid out PSU does NOT products "a foolish amount of heat".

But good to know you think you're smarter than all the engineers out there that have actual data.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Do RMx and TX-M use Hong Hua rifle?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's because an efficient, well laid out PSU does NOT products "a foolish amount of heat".

But good to know you think you're smarter than all the engineers out there that have actual data.
    Lol I meant that it would be foolish for me to add unnecessary heat to my rig for a decibel change I wouldn't notice.

That is not to say that I don't hold what's left of my mind in high regard
    Last edited by StormShadow; 10-31-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, RMi with fan on even at a minimum speed of 450RPM definitely improves temps by like 10c at low loads compared to fan off, but that is with fan facing down, so heat cannot escape I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You made me consider why top mounted PSU cases don't have vents above them rather than have them face down to catch internal heat.. but anyways my old HAF 932 is has a bottom mounted down facing PSU placement, and on a 1cm high removable shelf. Nice place to catch the coldest air and ample space to put some mesh to keep dust out of the intake as I just did after getting a good look into the poor old Antec PSU. But it also radiates heat into the case, which is why minimizing it makes even more of a difference.