Thread: Intermittent PSU buzzing and audio interference - will a UPS fix it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Intermittent PSU buzzing and audio interference - will a UPS fix it?

edit: Pretty sure I found the issue 2 posts down - advice on whether a UPS will help in this situation would be really helpful though.

I have had an issue with PSU noise and microphone buzzing on my PC across two separate builds that make it very likely that the power in my house is the issue. On my first PC, I had an issue where a new microphone I got intermittently (lasted hours) had a static buzzing sound to it across two different sound cards that I was able to fix with a better shielded cable that wasn't ideal because of its weight. When I got a new cpu/mobo the coil whine from that PSU (cx750) became higher pitched and more common and the audio issues still existed so I decided to get a a better PSU to try to fix these issues, so I got a seasonic prime 850w gold. I installed the PSU yesterday and everything was running fine until I went to use it today and heard a staticy buzzing sound coming from it and the microphone interference was back as well.

Here's the sound of the PSU I recorded from my phone:
    https://instaud.io/1ntR
    Oddly enough my old PSU wasn't making this noise but it had its own annoyances with "coil whine"

Here's what my mic sounds like with the less shielded cable while this is occurring:
    https://instaud.io/1ntW
    And here it is on the old computer: https://instaud.io/1ntX
    It's worth adding that when I touch the metal contact of the 1/8" connector for the mic extension, the buzzing stops. I guess that grounds it. Perhaps it's a grounding issue with my house? Just an idea.

Some info can probably be inferred from the frequencies of these noises, but I'm not savvy enough for that. I have tried plugging the PSU into different circuits in the house that were within reach of an extension cord and the issue still persists. I can't narrow down the issue to anything else using power in my house, it's not the air conditioner. The components that have remained constant between the two PCs are the GPU, case, SSD/HDDs, and optical drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking a UPS would maybe fix this, but wouldn't that just introduce interference and possibly buzzing just a few feet away anyway? If those wont be an issue I'd be happy to hear some suggestions for an inexpensive unit that is decent quality and can suit this PSU and maybe 2 lcd monitors. The peak load is probably only 500W on my pc so maybe I can get away with smaller unit if the price gets out of control. Is there a simple fix to my house's wiring perhaps?

I'll add that I had a concern about the new PSU in this thread I posted yesterday, but given the evidence above, I'd say that it's almost certainly not an issue with the PSU.
    Last edited by garm; 10-25-2017 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now the PSU buzzing has stopped, but the mic still buzzes. I'm not sure if they're unrelated or if it's just not as bad right now.

This is on sale for $122 with a coupon, so I might jump on it if it's looking like it'll fix things:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16842102238

edit: Touching the back panel of my psu reduces the buzzing my mic makes. I'm not sure what to take away from this. I guess it is a grounding issue then?
    Last edited by garm; 10-25-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good news, I've found the culprit. The dimmer switch and/or the lights in a room below me causes both the mic and PSU buzzing. I know the lights in that room require a very specific dimmer, so this is going to take some work to figure out a solution, but at least I know what is causing it. I could have sworn I tested this in the past with everything in that room off, so part of me feels that this isn't over.

If fixing that outright isn't practical or cost effective, does anyone know if the UPS linked above would do the trick?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to garm For This Useful Post:

ehume (10-25-2017)