Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A crappy cheap PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

aren't those 2 bulk caps of 330uf 200v in series ? so isn't it equivalent to a single 165uf 400v capacitor ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And defensive purposes...

I'm not sure it's better or worse than yours, at the very least it seems it's lying less on the label (which says 3.3v 24a , 5v 35a , 12v 16a , max 250w on 3.3+5, max 430w on 3.3+5+12 ... but all diodes on secondary look like 16a max)
    At least your PSU has 2 chokes in secondary, a Welltrend ICM, and a larger primary transformer, and is rated correctly at 16 amps, but my sample clearly does not output 27 amps wich mean is way overrated by the manufacturer.
    This PSU is not mine, i replace it in an office computer (who came toegether with a case AFAIK) and I have to replace a few more by the end of the year.
    That unit is bad.. but not THAT bad. I've seen a lot worse.
    Worse than that?
    IMO worse than that mean to be connected directly to the wall, just with the rectifier and a small transformer, whithout filternig caps at all.
    Interesting it has two bulk caps. Probably made for higher hold up time for developing countries.
    Yes but both of them is rated at 200V an we have 230V line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al3xand3r View Post
    Worse than that?
    IMO worse than that mean to be connected directly to the wall, just with the rectifier and a small transformer, whithout filternig caps at all.
    You've seen Powmax and Deer haven't you? They're worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Worse than this?
    Impossible.
    Look again.
    There is no PFC at all, there is just a voltage doubler circuit.
    But they even cheaped out on the voltage selector switch which makes it 230VAC only.

There is only one toroid coil on the output, shared for 12v, 5v & 3.3v
    There is only one capacitor per rail, and it's really small, max 2200µF, might even be 1000µF.
    There is not a single Pi coil, so effectively the ripple must be in the volts range, not millivolts!
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 10-23-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've seen Powmax and Deer haven't you? They're worse.
    How it could be the Deer PSU worse than that when it has a better overall construction (a larger transformer, EMI filter, PFC, 2 chokes on the secondary, a large NTC termistor, more caps) and it was able to manage 324w while keeping the ripple and voltage regulation well in spec at a normal temperature of 27C (at intake) . It's true that not was able to deliver power in hot box, but that scenario is almost impossible with a normal user. (assuming that no one is gaming with computer in sauna or on the beach directly in the sun light).
    Comparativley, the cousin of this PSU, the Hercules one wich irronicaly has one more coil in the secondary have failed to deliver a half of the rated power (15 amps at 12V) while ripple was above ATX spec at all loads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are many crappy PSUIs

What about Tacens Mars Gaming MPII "550": a "550W" PSU withot active PFC, theorical 408W in +12V and without 6+2 pin PCI-E connector
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14162

And Tacens Radix Eco, a "500W" without active PFC, crappy capacitors, theorical 324W in +12V, no PCIe connector ..
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13473

And Netway Gaming Reactor "700" & "800"
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14785

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al3xand3r View Post
    How it could be the Deer PSU worse than that when it has a better overall construction (a larger transformer, EMI filter, PFC, 2 chokes on the secondary, a large NTC termistor, more caps) and it was able to manage 324w while keeping the ripple and voltage regulation well in spec at a normal temperature of 27C (at intake) .
    That Allied that Jeremy reviewed was one of the finest Deer products on the market. Most don't have APFC or EMI filtering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are many crappy PSUIs
    Indeed, but this is certainly among the worst and the crappyest wich have ever seen (if not te most crappy) with few other PSU competing to take the crown of "the shittiest PSU". In comparison with this garbage, the Tacens ones seems to belong from a luxurious class (EMI filter, bigger caps, at least the Radix ECo has also a passive PFC). This thing simply does not have any kind of PFC and EMI filter, it's just a bridge rectifier along with an undersized primary transformer, crappy MOSFETS and insufficient filtering caps. And that's all. What do you think it can be worse than that?

That Allied that Jeremy reviewed was one of the finest Deer products on the market. Most don't have APFC or EMI filtering.
    Understandt, seems like that PSU was the flaghip of the Deer. Unfortunatley i haven't seen many PSU nor reviews of the Deer.

Simply I don't understand how is possible to have on the market in the year 2017, that kind of way-below-minimum-level PSU's? And we are talking about computers components with sensitive electronics inside, not about electric motors with heavy copper woundings, almost immune to voltage fluctuations and ripple (DC ones).

I found some real competitors for this crappy, with similar designs.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1310456/p...00w-psu-review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    aren't those 2 bulk caps of 330uf 200v in series ? so isn't it equivalent to a single 165uf 400v capacitor ?
    400V 330uF.... but yeah. I missed that. Those caps are quite tiny.