Thread: AX860i random shutdown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default AX860i random shutdown

Hello,

I built a new PC about a year ago, and I have the AX860i as my PSU.

After a few months use, with XMP enabled, the PSU started to randomly shut down. Following the shutdown, the PC attempted to boot and failed, I could hear a clicking noise coming from the PSU. There was no post screen, nothing, just 2 secs, click, restart and repeat.

After re-applying the cables to the PSU, it worked normally.

Then after a while the problem appeared again, I disabled XMP and run my PC in a normal state, no overclocks or anything, hoping that if it was an XMP instability issue it would solve itself.

A while after the problem returned.

Then I reverse my H100i v2 fans, instead of intake, I configured them as exhaust, thinking that perhaps the PSU was shutting down to protect from thermal damage. The temps of the PSU itself were low in Corsair Link, but I wanted to make sure that ambient temperature on components caused by the radiator wasn't an issue.

Needless to say, the issue returned. Clicking noise, 2 secs, restart, and so forth.

Lately, and after reseating the cables again on the PSU in different slots (4, 5, 6 instead of 1, 2, 3). I changed my 1070 behaviour from OC mode to Gaming Mode via the MSI Gaming App, since I heard there were some issues with the micron memory models, although a BIOS update has been released for the affected GPU's and I have applied it. So far the problem hasn't occured. (3 days)

I guess the most annoying part of this whole thing is its inconsistency. Sometimes the PC will work fine under all conditions, and other times it will do this... it's like there's some defect hiding, and fires up under specific conditions. Or maybe those 8-pin slots where problematic? Is it possible that some of the slots can be faulty but not the others?

In all of the above cases, the issue seems to be resolved, at least for a period of time, when I reapply the power cables on the PSU. Therefore, I have started an RMA procedure with Corsair for my AX860i. I just wanted your opinion, if you agree with me that it must be the PSU, and any ideas about other culprits or diagnostics. In only 2 or 3 cases of shutdowns, the ASUS motherboard warned me of power issues with the PSU. In all the other cases though, there was no notice.

Edit 1: This behaviour occurs under load, i.e. SW Battlefront. I had it only once in normal operation.
    Edit 2: The light of the PSU doesn't turn red.
    Edit 3: I now did an Intel CPU validation, and played some games with XMP as well (trying to provoke it) with no shutdowns. GTX1070 still in gaming mode instead of OC.
    Edit 4: PSU Corsair Link page https://imgur.com/a/G0CDy
    Edit 5: Video example of similar behaviour by another user https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekOQfC8nMgk
    Edit 6: Model number 75 - 001303

Thank you.

PC specs
    - CPU: Intel i7 6700K
    - Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    - GPU: MSI GTX1070 Gaming Z (Micron memory)
    - RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
    - Case: Corsair 600Q
    - CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i v2
    - PSU: Corsair AX860i

PSU specifics, reported from Corsair Link
    - Temps: 28 - 36
    - Fan: Custom mode (always on, fan curve)
    - 12V: 12.03V
    - 5V: 5.03V
    - 3.3V: 3.31V
    Last edited by ktomais; 10-04-2017 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

You sure that you connect the cables fully? Not only half way, which could cause a bad connection. Otherwise it could also be a bad cable or bad modular socket, which would explain that it sometimes works again after reseating the cables.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ktomais View Post
    Hello,

I built a new PC about a year ago, and I have the AX860i as my PSU.

After a few months use, with XMP enabled, the PSU started to randomly shut down. Following the shutdown, the PC attempted to boot and failed, I could hear a clicking noise coming from the PSU. There was no post screen, nothing, just 2 secs, click, restart and repeat.

After re-applying the cables to the PSU, it worked normally.

Then after a while the problem appeared again, I disabled XMP and run my PC in a normal state, no overclocks or anything, hoping that if it was an XMP instability issue it would solve itself.

A while after the problem returned.

Then I reverse my H100i v2 fans, instead of intake, I configured them as exhaust, thinking that perhaps the PSU was shutting down to protect from thermal damage. The temps of the PSU itself were low in Corsair Link, but I wanted to make sure that ambient temperature on components caused by the radiator wasn't an issue.

Needless to say, the issue returned. Clicking noise, 2 secs, restart, and so forth.

Lately, and after reseating the cables again on the PSU in different slots (4, 5, 6 instead of 1, 2, 3). I changed my 1070 behaviour from OC mode to Gaming Mode via the MSI Gaming App, since I heard there were some issues with the micron memory models, although a BIOS update has been released for the affected GPU's and I have applied it. So far the problem hasn't occured. (3 days)

I guess the most annoying part of this whole thing is its inconsistency. Sometimes the PC will work fine under all conditions, and other times it will do this... it's like there's some defect hiding, and fires up under specific conditions. Or maybe those 8-pin slots where problematic? Is it possible that some of the slots can be faulty but not the others?

In all of the above cases, the issue seems to be resolved, at least for a period of time, when I reapply the power cables on the PSU. Therefore, I have started an RMA procedure with Corsair for my AX860i. I just wanted your opinion, if you agree with me that it must be the PSU, and any ideas about other culprits or diagnostics. In only 2 or 3 cases of shutdowns, the ASUS motherboard warned me of power issues with the PSU. In all the other cases though, there was no notice.

Edit 1: This behaviour occurs under load, i.e. SW Battlefront. I had it only once in normal operation.
    Edit 2: The light of the PSU doesn't turn red.
    Edit 3: I now did an Intel CPU validation, and played some games with XMP as well (trying to provoke it) with no shutdowns. GTX1070 still in gaming mode instead of OC.
    Edit 4: PSU Corsair Link page https://imgur.com/a/G0CDy
    Edit 5: Video example of similar behaviour by another user https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekOQfC8nMgk

Thank you.

PC specs
    - CPU: Intel i7 6700K
    - Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
    - GPU: MSI GTX1070 Gaming Z (Micron memory)
    - RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
    - Case: Corsair 600Q
    - CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i v2
    - PSU: Corsair AX860i

PSU specifics, reported from Corsair Link
    - Temps: 28 - 36
    - Fan: Custom mode (always on, fan curve)
    - 12V: 12.03V
    - 5V: 5.03V
    - 3.3V: 3.31V
    Hi, it's like the same problem of the ex Corsair AX760i of my brother. After some time of use, he shutdown random and specially on some load.

Maybe you can open a ticker RMA to Corsair for replace or repair. But in some Corsairs forums topics, i see other users have a similar problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoken View Post
    Hi, it's like the same problem of the ex Corsair AX760i of my brother. After some time of use, he shutdown random and specially on some load.

Maybe you can open a ticker RMA to Corsair for replace or repair. But in some Corsairs forums topics, i see other users have a similar problem.
    Thank you for taking a look at my case. I am already in talks with Corsair for Express RMA, it has been approved. I just wanted to gather opinions about the situation, that it's not something else.

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    You sure that you connect the cables fully? Not only half way, which could cause a bad connection. Otherwise it could also be a bad cable or bad modular socket, which would explain that it sometimes works again after reseating the cables.
    Yes, cables are definitely fully in the sockets. That was the first thing I made sure of. Both on the motherboard and the PSU. The cables being faulty is something that I was thinking about as well, thanks for your suggestion. It just seems weird that it's so inconsistent. You think it's possible that some sockets are also faulty but not others?
    Last edited by ktomais; 10-03-2017 at 03:31 PM.