Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EVGA 850 B3 review @ Tom's Hardware

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    Non working OPP, only one EPS (problem for Threaripper etc), sleeve bearing fan, rather poor soldering quality. I'm dissapointed.
    Bad fan controller that will continue let the fan spin up and down between 50W and 400W load. With a minimal speed of 1200 RPM, that definitely gonna be something a lot of people will notice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Don't give them too much credit. Pretty sure the B3 750W and 850W's were review samples. They sent them out instead of the lower wattages because it's a more robust platform (apparently still not robust enough), is the volume leader (at least in the U.S.) and has the highest profit margins (as I've said before, we lack lower wattage products on the market because it doesn't cost much less to make a lower wattage).

AFAIK, only the lower wattage B3's were bought off the shelf.

EDIT!!!

I STAND CORRECTED!

Aris told me all of his units were store bought. That could explain the difference in solder quality. Press kits are actually made by Super Flower while retail units are made by RSY.
    Not to mention that EVGA won't even respond to Aris. It's been like how many weeks since the 450W review? EVGA is trying to be hush hush and didn't want anybody knowing about this.

EVGAs plan in the long run seemed to be make really good affordable PSUs, then earn name recognition, then "upgrade" them to worse newer models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al3xand3r View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm glad to join at this wonderful forum.

Seem that EVGA and SF have to work a little bit at the improvement of this PSU. On the other side perform quite decently with voltage regulation and ripple suppression. Considering that a modern computer won't put a heavy load on 3.3v rail, it's ok with advanced transient tests (in my opinion).

But.. the big winner in that chart (that are a very pleasant surprise for us but very bad for competitors) it's Seasonic Focus. It perform amazingly in all the tests and her results is better than many other high-end implementation at 160$ + price range and this it's great. I'm amazed with the voltage regulation that is simply out of this world and the transient tests. With it's Prime and Focus series electrical performance, Seasonic simply killed the competition.

PS. Sorry for my bad english.

The FOCUS PLUS units are nice, but they are nothing special, Corsair's RMx and TXm, EVGA's G2 and G3, Coolermaster's V and Bitfenix's Whisper M all do comparable jobs, no individual one of those is much worse than any other (Maybe the TX-m is bad if you are custom sleeving cables?)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    EVGAs plan in the long run seemed to be make really good affordable PSUs, then earn name recognition, then "upgrade" them to worse newer models.
    You need people who know what they're doing and what's important to really do that...
    Those People are rare.

And protection of a unit is one of the most important features of a PSU, even if many people don't see it that way these days...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    The FOCUS PLUS units are nice, but they are nothing special, Corsair's RMx and TXm, EVGA's G2 and G3, Coolermaster's V and Bitfenix's Whisper M all do comparable jobs, no individual one of those is much worse than any other (Maybe the TX-m is bad if you are custom sleeving cables?)...
    I was talking about absolute electrical performance at voltage regulation (and transient response at 12V), and if you look at that charts you've see a huge differnece in numbers between Focus and the rest. I know, that voltage regulation difference between Seasonic and the others doesn't make any differnece in real life scenarios beacause it's all very well in spec. Just i'm amazed with the numbers achieved by an analogic PSU, and more importantly at that price range. Those are excellent numbers, and who looks the excellence it's pleased with that chart. On the other side, the ripple it's not as good as the others (like Corsair) and this is more importand for a system than below 0.05V difference. Probably this is the reason for a low price for Focus. If it was at the ripple level of the Primes, then it's price was likely above 180$.
    Sincerley the external aspect i don't like very much, the Corsair RMx and Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB looks better, and the fan noise performance is not as good as RMx it's. (below 20db for Corsair and above 30 db for Focus).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al3xand3r View Post
    I was talking about absolute electrical performance at voltage regulation (and transient response at 12V), and if you look at that charts you've see a huge differnece in numbers between Focus and the rest. I know, that voltage regulation difference between Seasonic and the others doesn't make any differnece in real life scenarios beacause it's all very well in spec. Just i'm amazed with the numbers achieved by an analogic PSU, and more importantly at that price range. Those are excellent numbers, and who looks the excellence it's pleased with that chart. On the other side, the ripple it's not as good as the others (like Corsair) and this is more importand for a system than below 0.05V difference. Probably this is the reason for a low price for Focus. If it was at the ripple level of the Primes, then it's price was likely above 180$.
    Sincerley the external aspect i don't like very much, the Corsair RMx and Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB looks better, and the fan noise performance is not as good as RMx it's. (below 20db for Corsair and above 30 db for Focus).
    The Corsair TXm higher-wattage regulates just as well as a FOCUS PLUS, as does the Coolermaster V (Anything below Mythic and per-unit differences will start to be a larger factor in what's the best and what's not).

Don't get me wrong, the FOCUS PLUS is great, it's just not straight up better than any of the others in it's class...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    You need people who know what they're doing and what's important to really do that...
    Those People are rare.

And protection of a unit is one of the most important features of a PSU, even if many people don't see it that way these days...
    I'll be that dude, technically what is mostimportant is entirely subjective, objectifying importance can lead to whole areas of philosophy and will get complex quite quickly.

Some people would probably not care about non-working OPP since chances are they won't need it ever. Who are we, though, to tell people what they can and can't care about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    I'll be that dude, technically what is mostimportant is entirely subjective, objectifying importance can lead to whole areas of philosophy and will get complex quite quickly.

Some people would probably not care about non-working OPP since chances are they won't need it ever. Who are we, though, to tell people what they can and can't care about?
    Yes, some people but not all the people. The reviewers need to write about the potential danger of this kind of things (like Aris did), because it’s possible to fire up entire home. In fact is nothing than a safety concern which is perfectly normal. This kind of discussion is the same as with capacitor brands. A person who don’t make difference between any Chinese branded cap and Japanese branded cap, it will buy a junk PSU, thinking it will make a big deal paying 100 bucks for a PSU full with CapXon’s. (I don’t remember where I’ve seen a marketing material with the text “high quality capacitors” and inside that PSU were Jun Fu’s or Aishi). This is exactly the same thing as with protection of the PSU and is worth to talk about it.
    If someone will see this discussion without making any question about what means a PSU with improper set of protections (or improper setted) it don’t care about the safety of computer or worst, the fire hazard which it poses.

Quote Originally Posted by awesomegamer919 View Post
    The Corsair TXm higher-wattage regulates just as well as a FOCUS PLUS, as does the Coolermaster V (Anything below Mythic and per-unit differences will start to be a larger factor in what's the best and what's not).

Don't get me wrong, the FOCUS PLUS is great, it's just not straight up better than any of the others in it's class...
    Are we talking about the same thing? This?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Importance:
    • Working Protection with OCP on all rails, if possible OTP. Some PSU even have 2 OTP circuits - one @ Primary Controller, one in the Supervisior IC.
    • Decent fan with not too annoying motor/bearing noise. If possible one that lasts. Problem: You can waste much money here. As much as a shitty PSU or a somewhat usable PSU costs!
    • Decent fan Controller -> if possivle, 3-4V @ lower loads. And not over 1500rpm at full load would be perfect
    • Decent capacitors

Yes, Capacitors are last because they aren't that important, especially if you have to choose between better fan, better capacitors and/or working or more protections.

I've tried measuring the temperature of the caps with my high quality 10€ Home Depot Multimeter and got something way under 50°C, even if the secondary heatsink got to around 70°C...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

Al3xand3r (09-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    I've tried measuring the temperature of the caps with my high quality 10€ Home Depot Multimeter and got something way under 50°C, even if the secondary heatsink got to around 70°C...
    Aris' reviews are also good for checking capacitors temps, those infrared images show everything.

Importance:
    • Working Protection with OCP on all rails, if possible OTP. Some PSU even have 2 OTP circuits - one @ Primary Controller, one in the Supervisior IC.
    • Decent fan with not too annoying motor/bearing noise. If possible one that lasts. Problem: You can waste much money here. As much as a shitty PSU or a somewhat usable PSU costs!
    • Decent fan Controller -> if possivle, 3-4V @ lower loads. And not over 1500rpm at full load would be perfect
    • Decent capacitors
    That is your list of importance, but not everybody's.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turkey3_scratch For This Useful Post:

Al3xand3r (09-28-2017)