Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 120

Thread: 80 Plus certification updates

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,700
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    116
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Except for literally every aspect of LLC is more expensive than double forward. Since there are companies out there that will put out a double forward PSU just to have the cheapest price, there will always need to be a "better double forward option" out there that you can hope the customer could consider instead.
    Didn't you say some time ago that non-modular CX is a bit cheaper to make because it uses LLC?

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany, Berlin
    Posts
    1,582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    942
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    CX is a different performance class. For the same performance target LLC can be cheaper. For Platinum PSU for example LLC is almost always cheaper than dopuble forward.

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,228
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    374
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    71
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

    Default

    I also remember that Jon said that Great Wall wanted to do LLC resonant instead of double forward because it was cheaper.

  4. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    886
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    Guys? Where I come from LLC stands for "Load-Line Calibration," re- motherboards and CPU's. When you use it, the abbreviation obviously stands for something else. What do you mean when you use 'LLC?'
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    525
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    179
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    Didn't you say some time ago that non-modular CX is a bit cheaper to make because it uses LLC?
    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    I also remember that Jon said that Great Wall wanted to do LLC resonant instead of double forward because it was cheaper.
    I never ever said this.

  6. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    971
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    323
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Guys? Where I come from LLC stands for "Load-Line Calibration," re- motherboards and CPU's. When you use it, the abbreviation obviously stands for something else. What do you mean when you use 'LLC?'
    They are reference designators for coil/inductor (L) and capacitor (C).

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:

    ehume (12-18-2018)

  8. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    525
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    179
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    CX is a different performance class. For the same performance target LLC can be cheaper. For Platinum PSU for example LLC is almost always cheaper than dopuble forward.
    Exactly. Depending on your goal, some platforms have an economical diminishing point of return.

    If we were talking about a 750W Gold efficiency PSU, double forward would be silly.

    But we're talking about a Bronze efficiency PSU with minimal performance metric requirements. The reason CX (non-M) is LLC is simply because that's how the engineering team at Corsair at the time designed it.

    It's like why you never saw (true) non-PFC or passive PFC PSUs beyond 750W. At that point, it actually costs less to make the PSU APFC.

  9. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    114
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    I picked up a GX ii Pro 750w lol...yeah it's older but seems strong still. Another ok example that Coolermaster did do some stuff. and the 2600x and msi pulling it down to about 11.65v....

    Mannnn...I told you that apevia was junk lol. that thing needed 1.45v at 4.3....I'm at 1.4250v and it's not freezing in CB that thing was lol.
    Ryzen 2600x 4.3 1.375v, Loop
    MSI X470 Gaming Plus
    Evga SuperSC 3200mhz CL15
    PNY NVME 480gb
    Reference Vega 56
    WD Blue 1tb
    Cooler Master GX II Pro 750w

  10. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    697
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    471
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

    Default

    Something interesting

    Corsair RM series will be revamped, they've appeared at Cybenetics!

    RM850: https://cybenetics.com/d/cybenetics_din.pdf
    They are made by CWT and apparently use a Sleeve bearing fan.

    More RM reports here: https://cybenetics.com/index.php?opt...fID=28&volts=1

    So... Is this going to be something interesting, or something to confuse people like EVGA's lineup?

  11. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    15,865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    525
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    179
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breixobaloca View Post

    RM850: https://cybenetics.com/d/cybenetics_din.pdf
    They are made by CWT and apparently use a Sleeve bearing fan.

    More RM reports here: https://cybenetics.com/index.php?opt...fID=28&volts=1
    It's not a sleeve bearing fan. It's a rifle bearing.

    This PSU is more of an SI play. It meets the requirements of Intel DSG 1.42 with 70% efficiency at 2% load and the lower T1 and T3 timings to support modern standby mode.

Similar Threads

  1. Site updates....
    By Tazz in forum Site Suggestions & Forum Issues
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-12-2019, 04:35 PM
  2. EVGA silently updates the N1 400W
    By TheGutless in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2017, 03:18 AM
  3. LDLC updates their RMA reports to Hardware.fr
    By Jon Gerow in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2015, 06:18 PM
  4. Thermaltake Updates Their Toughpower XT PSU Series
    By Gabriel Torres in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 03:38 PM
  5. Site Updates
    By Tazz in forum Site Suggestions & Forum Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •