Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 550W Gold semi-modular shoot out (in German)....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you click through Computerbase PSU reviews, you will see many recommendations for Listan (the company behind be quiet) PSUs. Not that it means anything, if they are good. But I thought it was weird when the Prime Gold was tested with some other PSUs and was the only one to not get a recommendation. Because of acoustic noise. And the fan is certainly an RMA reason, so why not get a second specimen? It wouldn't be the first time that a PSU gets testet twice.

And yes, noise can completely kill a PSU for the German market, no matter how good it is otherwise, and even if the noise evaluation is purely of academic value for most users (because it still won't be heard from within the system).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeJunkie View Post
    If you click through Computerbase PSU reviews, you will see many recommendations for Listan (the company behind be quiet) PSUs. Not that it means anything, if they are good.
    Nico (Computerbase) is strongly dependent on Listan (BeQuiet)
    He needs to use Listans testing equipment (Chroma) for his reviews.
    All of his reviews are totally Listan biased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

As the former PSU reviewer at ComputerBase I can state that at my time Listan never tried to bargain with me with their test equipment. Their advantage was all their new models of course were tested on the exact same platform. Step by step I also modified the program and of course they always had a copy of my latest version. Also they often had data on competitors PSU two months before end of NDA which can be very helpful for own product strategy/decision making. Listan had some advantage from providing the equipment, but they never asked for special treatment in return. I don't think their policy on this changed since I left almost 3 years ago.

However ComputerBase is clearly focused on DACH market. Reviews strongly reflect what their readers prefer. Since readers care a lot about low noise level I also was tough on acoustic noise. Seasonic G-series for example was excellent, but simply too loud under full load to recieve my recommendation award. If I would have prepared a review for US media I would definately have given my recommendation simply because of the different customer expectations. At ComputerBase both coil whine and bearing noise was taken into account in a very strict way.

Since Nico took over they now also established a cooperation with local university to provide higher precision noise testing so they even can measure coil whine. Of course, tis also helps brands which focus on low noise PSU. Other sites don't do any noise testing, which obviously favours loud PSU with better electrical performance or components. I would never call JonnyGuru reviews biased because of not measuring acoustic noise, even while some PSU profit from this while others don't.

Be quiet! heavily profited from ComputerBase's focus on low noise for PSU because the brand is also focused on low noise. I would however not blame the site or the editors for that, because they simply do what most readers ask them to do. Therefore I would not count Nicos reviews as biased for brands, but biased by German expectations on the product which give some brands an advantage.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

Lenny_Nero (09-22-2017), turkey3_scratch (09-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    ...too loud under full load...
    And that's what I mean with academic value, even before considering that more people over- than undersize their PSU.

The Prime review just made me wonder what does and does not warrant asking for a replacement PSU. This way they ended up with a non-recommendation, which opposes all the other reviews. And there didn't seem to be a moment of doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

At my time ComputerBase had a policy of requesting two samples. If company sent one only I tested this and used the results for the review if the samples except when it was absolutely obvious it was just a flawed sample. In a so-so situation I used the results. Most brands sent in two samples. If there was any trouble with No1 I switched to No2 and sued No2 for review. If No1 did good No2 was never opened but returned to the German adress provided by the brand on my cost or ready for pick up for international shipping.

If you rely on other peoples equipment this is the best you can do without delaying the reviews too much. I don't know if this policy has changed since my days though, so maybe ask Nico.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Also don't like how regulation is measured in volts and not percentage. To the layman, they're just going to look at "higher voltage" and assume that means "better regulation".

But again.... could be moot point... as long as one PSU is quieter than the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    As the former PSU reviewer at ComputerBase I can state that at my time Listan never tried to bargain with me with their test equipment. Their advantage was all their new models of course were tested on the exact same platform. Step by step I also modified the program and of course they always had a copy of my latest version. Also they often had data on competitors PSU two months before end of NDA which can be very helpful for own product strategy/decision making. Listan had some advantage from providing the equipment, but they never asked for special treatment in return. I don't think their policy on this changed since I left almost 3 years ago..
    Can I confirm that Listan has never taken any influence and I have tested before your time there.

I even criticized be quiet strongly in my later Reviews

the same goes for cooler masters, but we were even alone in the lab xD but that's because of the location of the Chroma
    best regards
    Tinpoint

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Well I think he should at least name the caps as a negative point. Now the only negative point is warranty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

The thing that sucks about having to register for extended warranty is that most people DO NOT register. I've fallen victim to that lots of times.

Legally, the PSU has to be warrantied for two years. But the manufacturer has every right to deny warranty on the third or fourth year if the product was never registered because the product has to be registered WITHIN a particular time frame to become valid. So it's more of an insurance policy than a true warranty.

Much like those UPSs with the $100,000 guarantee. You can't have a lightning strike take out your entire house AND THEN send in the paperwork to initiate the guarantee.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Lenny_Nero (10-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Legally, the PSU has to be warrantied for two years.
    Not really.
    We have what's called 'Sachmangelhaftung' after the first 6 Months.

The difference is that in the first 6 Months the consumer doesn't have to prove anything, you have to prove that the thing was OK.

After the first 6 Months that changes and the consumer has to prove that the device was defective in the beginning...

And this difference is huge..

Though you tend to give 2 Years of Warranty just because it's less of a hassle and negative press. If you refuse warranty claims between 6-24 Months, lots of people will flood you with negative comments...