Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new PSU - Which one should I pick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buying a new PSU - Which one should I pick?

Hello PSU experts! I'm updating my computer and the terrible 300W chinese brand generic PSU that came with the case has to go before it explodes and burns my house. These are the options I've come up with:

Antec VP500PC - 47 EUR
    Corsair CX550 - 64 EUR (The newer, gray model. I've read bad reviews of the green ones, but this one is supposed to be good, I think)
    Seasonic S12II - 70 EUR
    Fractal Integra R2 - 61 EUR

There are also other options like the Cooler Master Masterwatt lite series, which are OK-ish, I believe, and some Cougar PSUs (STX, LX series). If I'm forgetting any good units in this price range, let me know.

I guess the question is if it's worth it to spend the extra bucks on the Seasonic or the Corsair, or if I should set with the Antec. I don't care much about noise levels or modularity, I just want a reliable unit that can last several builds if possible. I'm most likely not going to put super high-end components with it (and definitely not SLI or Crossfire), so I think PSUs around the 500W mark should be enough.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TXM. Without a single doubt.
    Last edited by Delter; 09-19-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The CX550 is clearly better than the new Antecs, I don't get the point of that recommendation @Delter. And for 55€ we have this https://www.amazon.es/Corsair-CX-CX4...dp/B06X6BFY3Q/

Antec VP is "meh", Seasonic S12II is crazy overpriced shit and Fractal Integra... I don't know.

----

The CX series were completely renewed in 2016/17, from an old and bad group regulation design to a nice and modern DC-DC one. Not the best PSU out there, but it's equillibrated. My Top choices would be Corsair TX550M (75€ PCComponentes) and Be Quiet Pure Power 10 (80€ Amazon 500W CM)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to breixobaloca For This Useful Post:

ManoloKosh (09-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He says he doesn't care for noise so the Pure Power 10 seems like a poor option. S2ii also bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by breixobaloca View Post
    The CX550 is clearly better than the new Antecs, I don't get the point of that recommendation @Delter. And for 55€ we have this https://www.amazon.es/Corsair-CX-CX4...dp/B06X6BFY3Q/

Antec VP is "meh", Seasonic S12II is crazy overpriced shit and Fractal Integra... I don't know.

----

The CX series were completely renewed in 2016/17, from an old and bad group regulation design to a nice and modern DC-DC one. Not the best PSU out there, but it's equillibrated. My Top choices would be Corsair TX550M (75€ PCComponentes) and Be Quiet Pure Power 10 (80€ Amazon 500W CM)
    Is the TX550M worth it over the CX, considering the price difference and the fact that I'm not going to push the PSU that much? (Online calculators give something like 380W fort the system I'm going to set up, although that number might go up a bit in the future, maybe). Also, what's your opinion on the Cougar PSUs, are the CX's just better?

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    He says he doesn't care for noise so the Pure Power 10 seems like a poor option. S2ii also bad.
    jonnyGURU rates the S2II very highly in his review, what is it that makes it a bad choice?

Thanks for the replies, guys. Much appreciated!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I think the TX550M is a much better option because I see a better future on it rather than on a CX550. Anyway, it depends on your budget and how that price difference affects you/your PC build. The CX is good and I recommend it, the TX is better and I also recommend it.

As for Cougar, it has a lot of models and their quality differs, obviously. The LX series is OK, but its voltage regulation makes me doubt about if it's better or worse than the CX. The GX-S is also decent, while I don't like the Sleeve Bearing fan, the VTX and STX are OK for budget builds, but clearly below CX.

That S12II review is 7 years old, back then it was a good unit with an impressive performance. Now it's an extremely overpriced power supply with an old internal design and missing/bad protections. 70€ for an old PSU, that's damn expensive.

@turkey3_scratch oh, I didn't read that. If so yeah, the TX seems a better option, but I wouldn't consider BQuiet E10 a poor choice, just not as good as the TX.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to breixobaloca For This Useful Post:

SmittyWerber (09-19-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmittyWerber View Post
    jonnyGURU rates the S2II very highly in his review, what is it that makes it a bad choice?
    Stefan, where are you when I need you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    Stefan, where are you when I need you?
    You said Pure Power 10 is a poor choice so if I were him I wouldn't help you muahaha.

By the way, the TX550M is not on stock at PCComponentes, Amazon lists it crazy high, Alternate charges 9€ for the shipment (well, total is 80€, not that much), so... change of plans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh, I wasn't aware that PSU's internal designs changed much with time, but it makes sense. All computer parts evolve with time, so why would PSU's be different. No seasonic for me, then - that and the unavailabilty of the TX narrows down the options quite a bit.

I guess it's a matter of deciding whether I stay a tier below the CX and settle with the Antec or Cougars, or I just buy the CX, unless I'm missing any interesting options in this price range (EVGA's maybe?). What do you guys think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TXM beats pretty much everything on the market right now at that price range and would be my first choice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SmittyWerber View Post
    Oh, I wasn't aware that PSU's internal designs changed much with time, but it makes sense. All computer parts evolve with time, so why would PSU's be different. No seasonic for me, then - that and the unavailabilty of the TX narrows down the options quite a bit.

I guess it's a matter of deciding whether I stay a tier below the CX and settle with the Antec or Cougars, or I just buy the CX, unless I'm missing any interesting options in this price range (EVGA's maybe?). What do you guys think?
    Get the TXM if you want the best you can get under 80€. Again, TXM are really good units.

https://www.pccomponentes.com/corsai...d-semi-modular
    Last edited by Delter; 09-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delter For This Useful Post:

Lenny_Nero (09-22-2017), SmittyWerber (09-19-2017)