Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Gold Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Arrow Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Gold Review

We first played with Seasonic's new line of Focus Plus units back in July when the 750 watt model came in with modest promises and promptly proceeded to knock our socks off with the performance we've come to expect from much more expensive units. Today, we'll look at the 550 watt unit and see if we can expect more of the same from the rest of the line. This should be good.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=529

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

-The_Mask- (08-21-2017), Cyrix (08-21-2017), ehume (08-21-2017), frewster (08-23-2017), L'acquer (08-21-2017), Nuckles_56 (08-21-2017), Philipus II (08-21-2017), Smirnoff (08-22-2017), turkey3_scratch (08-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn seasonic, settle down a little

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuckles_56 For This Useful Post:

cheapie (08-21-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

In the cold section, the STANDBY load tests table,

The efficiency column (far right) shows voltages copied from the +5VSB column.

Shouldn't they show 80.7% for Test 1, 78.0% for Test 2, and 75.8% for Test 3?
    Last edited by pianoplayer88key; 08-22-2017 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Removed off topic content

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seasonic engeneeirs took their time but...they did it!

Marvelous units across the range!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key View Post
    In the cold section, the STANDBY load tests table,

The efficiency column (far right) shows voltages copied from the +5VSB column.
    Not sure how that happened, but fixed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

pianoplayer88key (08-22-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key View Post
    If you save a local copy of the image you're referencing and then attach it to the forum post, you can avoid the broken link problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a little bizarre that they have 5 modular connectors for CPU/PCIe cables yet included are only 2 cables as could be plugged into said connectors. To me it would make more sense if they had less of these in the first place so they could save on production costs, and then maybe instead of cable-caps they could have put more caps on the modular connector board instead where these unused connectors lie currently.

Or, just include a separate PCIe cable on its own thing rather than one that splits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    I think it's a little bizarre that they have 5 modular connectors for CPU/PCIe cables yet included are only 2 cables as could be plugged into said connectors. To me it would make more sense if they had less of these in the first place so they could save on production costs, and then maybe instead of cable-caps they could have put more caps on the modular connector board instead where these unused connectors lie currently.

Or, just include a separate PCIe cable on its own thing rather than one that splits.
    You probably know (or can guess) that they're simply using the same design for modular PCB and housing across all the series. Making different PCBs for different versions? Not worth the trouble, financially. Putting Caps on the PCB for the smaller versions, and making different cables just for them? Oh my god!

I wonder how much those in-cable caps do to noise, anyway, because I have a feeling it can't be an awful lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeJunkie View Post
    You probably know (or can guess) that they're simply using the same design for modular PCB and housing across all the series. Making different PCBs for different versions? Not worth the trouble, financially. Putting Caps on the PCB for the smaller versions, and making different cables just for them? Oh my god!

I wonder how much those in-cable caps do to noise, anyway, because I have a feeling it can't be an awful lot.
    It's been a long time since I looked into it; but my old Strider Plus had some 2200uF NCCs in the cable that were used for noise filtering and they did their job pretty well. Without them in the cables (custom cable lengths for the HAF-X I had), some of the GPUs I had would wine a lot under load (GTX 280 / HD5970) but with them I could only get wine under the most extreme loads like Furmark or F@H

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wolf, why do you need a new meter? It's fun to see numbers that hold steady across the range of tests, but I don't think a new meter would do much of value to you in the way of reporting lower regulation values. The lowest you could see in the 5th digit is 0.0001 V, which on the 3.3 V rail would be 0.003%, which is 165 times lower than mythic level, while you can already measure 0.001 V or 0.03%, which is 25 times lower than mythic level. The return is very diminished unless you add a lower bracket. Are you just worried about borderline mythic-level cases (e.g. 0.51-0.52%)?