Thread: At what point do you guys upgrade your PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default At what point do you guys upgrade your PSU?

Like the title says, at what point do you start thinking about a PSU change to your main PC? I know this question is asked a bit but most of the threads I found on the forum were from several years ago. With so many well reviewed & reasonable priced PSU out there like the Seasonic Focus, new Corsair TX-M, EVGA G3, and even older Seasonic G series, I wonder if anyone has changed their mind set?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably when it would break. If you own a power supply with good protection circuitry it shouldn't really be a big guessing game. If the fan breaks, the unit may shut off and be saved by overtemperature protection. If something else internally breaks, undervoltage or overvoltage protection will stop it.

I don't worry too much about things like ripple increasing over time because, frankly, computer hardware gets replaced long before its lifespan is noticeably cut short from "less than ideal power".

If you have a really crappy power supply, one with bad protection circuitry, then you may want to consider replacing it since a failure could be more detrimental to the rest of your computer. But if it's a good power supply I wouldn't worry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

When you make a major upgrade (=change the motherboard) and the PSU is already years old is a good point in time to replace it.

cheapie is offline That weird furry girl they warned you about
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few reasons I can remember having replaced power supplies for:
    * Old one broke
    * Needed more power
    * Old one was a pile of garbage (not like "old" bad, more like "Allied" bad)
    * Lost too many of the modular cables
    * Had a better unit sitting around

I don't think I've ever replaced one /just/ because it was old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheapie View Post
    A few reasons I can remember having replaced power supplies for:
    * Old one broke
    * Needed more power
    * Old one was a pile of garbage (not like "old" bad, more like "Allied" bad)
    * Lost too many of the modular cables
    * Had a better unit sitting around

I don't think I've ever replaced one /just/ because it was old.
    1,2,3,5 would be my choices, i wouldn't upgrade unless the psu i was planning to get in the future was ridiculously cheap.
    Despite a lot of "groups" i used to belong to (wont mention names) tell me bronze units are s*** and gold or better is what you need "the standard"
    i got banned when i asked "Theres not that much difference in efficiency between bronze and a gold unit, so why buy one?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Interesting question. Although I intend to give away one of my Seasonics when I give a system away, I will still have an X-650 that I bought in October 2010. Given the points above:

*It has never broke.
    *There is no way any of our machines has ever taxed its capacity, nor will in the future; so I don't need more power.
    *It had outstandingly low ripple when it was built seven years ago. It is not "a pile of garbage."
    *I still have all of its modular cables, and need very few.
    *I don't have better units lying around. I have an X-750 that was on sale and I bought. It is more powerful but not better.

So there is no reason to ditch it other than age. Keep it? How long?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depends on the quality/type of PSU, I suppose. I used a Corsair HX750 from 2009 until I built a completely new rig last year and got the RM550x for it. The HX750 still chugs along in my sister's rig. (for which it is overkill, but she wasn't made of money when she had to replace her old rig, so I gave the Corsair to her instead of her buying a new PSU).

Other times I had to replace the PSU because it broke (back in the ancient times when I got a crappy Thermaltake 410W which blew up 4-5 months later and took my mainboard and two hard drives with it). Other times I just replaced the old ones because I bought some newer PSUs on a whim and wanted to fiddle around with the computers a bit.

Rig 1: Core i5 6600K - Asus Z170 Pro Gaming - Corsair Vengeance 16GB PC2666 RAM - MSI GeForce GTX1070 - Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD + 2TB Seagate SSHD - Corsair RM550x - Fractal Design R5 - Win10 64

Rig 2: Ryzen 1700X @ 3.9 GHz - Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 - Corsair LPX 16GB PC3200 RAM - Gigabyte GeForce 1070 - 250GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD - Corsair RM650i - Win10 64
    HTPC: AMD A6-6400k - MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 mITX - 8GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz - 3.5TB storage - Silver Power 460W passive - CM Elite 120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    When you make a major upgrade (=change the motherboard) and the PSU is already years old is a good point in time to replace it.
    Is this your advice to someone else or do you make the change on your own builds when upgrading the mobo? I'm just asking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    Interesting question. Although I intend to give away one of my Seasonics when I give a system away, I will still have an X-650 that I bought in October 2010. Given the points above:

*It has never broke.
    *There is no way any of our machines has ever taxed its capacity, nor will in the future; so I don't need more power.
    *It had outstandingly low ripple when it was built seven years ago. It is not "a pile of garbage."
    *I still have all of its modular cables, and need very few.
    *I don't have better units lying around. I have an X-750 that was on sale and I bought. It is more powerful but not better.

So there is no reason to ditch it other than age. Keep it? How long?
    I'm in the same dilemma. I have an original Corsair TX650M with the five year warranty expiring last December. The PS has powered a 2500k CPU w/ Nvidia's GTX560, 760, and 1060 video cards at certain times. I've gone days even a week or two without ever powering on the PC over the years. When in use the PC rarely breaks 4 hours of service unless I'm downloading a game so the PSU is hardly taxed. Right now I have a new 7600k and Z270 mobo for a new build. I plan to re-use the case & HDDs. Keep it? How long?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

After about 5 years or so. I generally just look for a new unit which suits my needs but I can get a good sale on.

I picked up an EVGA GS 550w just last year for $40 after discount & rebates to replace my 6 year old Silverstone Strider Plus 750w.

A good idea as well is to just replace a unit after it's warranty expires. With many mainstream units having a 5 year warranty it's similar terms.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

ehume (08-17-2017)