You listed the CX650 twice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Cyrix (08-10-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DevilMayCryBR View Post
    but ill try to be on top of the efficiency curve if i can, so some extra power will help with that.
    No. That's not how it works. Your PSU will use the same amount of power no matter what. The PSU is rated at DC output, not AC input. You'll save some pennies at the wall, but that doesn't mean the PSU is better.

Corsair xx850i series are my dream, but here in Brazil they cost $100 more at minimum
    What's the xx series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    What's the xx series?
    I'm guessing the RM850i and HX850i are what the OP is referring to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix View Post
    (nothing wrong with using 80+ bronze)
    No, but a group regulated unit with poor protection (does it have OCP anywhere? or OTP??), that gets loud easily is...

A PSU for that rig should have DC-DC and a decent fan as well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    No. That's not how it works. Your PSU will use the same amount of power no matter what. The PSU is rated at DC output, not AC input. You'll save some pennies at the wall, but that doesn't mean the PSU is better.
    Really? I see everywhere ppl saying to aim the psu to operate at 40~60% of its limit to hit the peak of the efficiency curve and bla bla bla, because at the peak of the curve is where it save more power.
    Example: if your build consumes 400W, go for a 750~850W psu.
    Also, with a big headroom the components will stress less and last a lot longer...
    That's not true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Really? I see everywhere ppl saying to aim the psu to operate at 40~60% of its limit to hit the peak of the efficiency curve and bla bla bla, because at the peak of the curve is where it save more power.
    The price difference you pay for a 2x more powerful PSU is much higher than the difference saved from efficiency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, with a big headroom the components will stress less and last a lot longer...
    That's not true?
    Strange, i know that the sweet spot is around (in everange) the 70 - 80% of the nominal capacity.
    Anyway listen to themask, he s very prepared on the argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that's it established that a 600 W PSU is enough, do you still want to change at all? Your 600B is decent. If you want higher effiency and something with an i, the smallest model would be the RM650i. If you want even higher efficiency, the EVGA P2 or Seasonic Prime Platinum are good choices. The Seasonic Focus Plus Platinums should also arrive soon, they might be pretty good bang for the buck. But we don't know until they're reviewed. Until then, your 600B will be fine though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

That's not true?
    Well luckily you came here then.

But that's a myth. It would only be true if you PC was at full load all the time, but that never happens for a gaming PC when gaming. Gaming load is much lower then 100% for all components and of course no one games 24/7. A lot of the time the PC is just idle or just only loaded with a low load.

So something between 450W and 750W is what you need for a gaming PC with Ryzen 5 1600X and Vega56 or Vega64. 450W is perfect for Vega56 and Ryzen 5 1600X without or with a small overclock. And 750W is only needed if you're gonna overclock the CPU to the max and the Vega64 to the max with watercooling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

That thing about 40-60% is more like this...

Power supplies achieve the peak efficiency at around 60-70% so if you want your power supply to produce as little heat as possible, you should aim for a power supply that would be most efficient at the power consumption your system's gonna be at most of the time.

Most bronze efficiency power supplies have this kind of efficiency curve :

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cougar/LX600/6.html

while a Gold efficiency power supply reaches peak efficiency sooner (at lower output) and stays at higher efficiency for a wider range:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...er/V650/6.html

So let's say your computer idles at 100w and in games reaches 400w.
    Both power supplies above will do just fine.
    However:

1. Bronze eff. psu will be 84% efficient at 100w, while gold efficiency will be 88% so the gold efficiency one will be cooler and maybe that 4% difference could be enough to make the psu fanless.

2. Bronze eff. psu will be 88% eff. at 400w, while gold eff. psu will be 92% efficient. That may sound like little difference ... but :

* 88% efficiency means ~ 455w were pulled from mains, so 55 watts were heat
    * 92% efficiency means ~ 432w were pulled from mains, so 32 watts were heat

That 22w difference can be a huge when it comes to noise and heat from the power supply and that alone could justify paying 10-20$ more for a Gold efficiency power supply.

If you're gaming let's say 6 hours a day, you can also do the math how much you'd save on your power bill over time .. 20w x 6 hours x 31 days = 3720 watts ... rounded up to 4kWh and you basically have about 0.5$ saved on your electricity bill, maybe more. If you think you're going to use this psu for 3 years, that's 3 x 12 months x 0.5$ = ~ 18$ saved in power bill alone, ignoring cost of removing extra heat from room (maybe you'd run additional AC or fans in the house if you use bronze efficiency psu)

In Brazil maybe power bills are cheaper due to so much hydro power, I don't know...

If you'd go with a 500w psu, you'd get lower efficiency as the peak efficiency point of the psu would be closer to 250-300w

If you'd go with a 850w or higher psu the 400w level may be too much to the left of the peak efficiency point ... power supply would still be relatively efficient but it wouldn't run at its "sweetspot".

You may be tempted to go with higher wattage psus even if they wouldn't be as efficient as possible at your consumption levels because those usually have thicker bigger heatsinks and some also have semi-fanless designs (for example fans only spin up at 150w or higher) which could be something you really want if you're using the pc browsing the net or watching youtube or watching movies and you basically want to pc to be as silent as possible.

I know I personally enjoy my seasonic X-series 650w being fanless when watching movies. My RX 470 also stops its fan when playing movies and then only the cpu fan spins at low rpm so the whole system is fairly silent.