Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seasonic Prime Platinum 850W Review

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Arrow Seasonic Prime Platinum 850W Review

We're three models deep into the Seasonic Prime Platinum line of units, with two more to go. I'll dust one of those remaining units off today as we take a look at the 850 watt model in the line.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=527

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

breixobaloca (07-31-2017), Nuckles_56 (07-31-2017), Tator Tot (07-31-2017), turkey3_scratch (07-31-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can we get some more entertaining smoking/exploding-one-hit-wonder reviews?
    4790K @ 4.5Ghz
    BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 /w 120mm Slipstream LP
    MSI Z97M Gaming
    Kingston HyperX Predator DDR3-1866 4x8GB
    MSI GTX1080TI Gaming X
    Mushkin Reactor 1TB
    EVGA G3 550W /w R/B Ensourced Custom Cable Extensions
    Fractal Designs Define C Mini /w 2x GP-14 X2 BLK, 1x GP-12 X2 BLK
    Fiio E10K
    (To many headphones now to list individually, HELP ME. HELP!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No plans as such. I don't see anything out there doing worse than the Hercules, so I figure there's not much point risking expensive load testing equipment anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Since we've hit the point of ridiculous in terms of performance metrics; PSU manufacturers should look at including more and better accessories. I say you should dock half a point when it's regular zip-ties instead of velco ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Since we've hit the point of ridiculous in terms of performance metrics; PSU manufacturers should look at including more and better accessories. I say you should dock half a point when it's regular zip-ties instead of velco ones.
    I actually like this idea. I do support having a mythic ripple bracket because I think in 2017 some poor units still seem to be able to score quite high. But I totally like the idea of being more critical sometimes of accessories.

However, I prefer normal zip ties myself. Velcro ones are too wide, they are an annoyance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A nice handful of both Velcro and normal zip ties would always be nice. But in terms of other accessories - beyond those little cloth bags for holding excess cables, and a case-sticker (do people actually put case stickers on their cases still?) what other sort of accessory items can a PSU include?

- Angled 24 pin and 4/8 pin adapters would be nice though. 45* and 90* would fit 99% of builds just fine.

- 1 connector SATA cables. With the rise of m.2 connectors, as well as the general size of HDDs and SSDs growing to very large numbers, its rare to actually see a computer using more than 1 SATA power cable. That extra mess created my extra connectors seems like it could go. Include a standard 3-SATA chain; and a 1-sata line instead of the usual 2 3-SATA.

- Can't think of much else a Power Supply company could include as an accessory to a Power Supply? A copy of a game? A flash drive? A copy of a game on a flash drive? A beanie?
    4790K @ 4.5Ghz
    MSI Z97M Gaming
    MSI GTX1080TI Gaming X
    Mushkin Reactor 1TB
    Fiio E10K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Æther Tech View Post
    A nice handful of both Velcro and normal zip ties would always be nice. But in terms of other accessories - beyond those little cloth bags for holding excess cables, and a case-sticker (do people actually put case stickers on their cases still?) what other sort of accessory items can a PSU include?

- Angled 24 pin and 4/8 pin adapters would be nice though. 45* and 90* would fit 99% of builds just fine.

- 1 connector SATA cables. With the rise of m.2 connectors, as well as the general size of HDDs and SSDs growing to very large numbers, its rare to actually see a computer using more than 1 SATA power cable. That extra mess created my extra connectors seems like it could go. Include a standard 3-SATA chain; and a 1-sata line instead of the usual 2 3-SATA.

- Can't think of much else a Power Supply company could include as an accessory to a Power Supply? A copy of a game? A flash drive? A copy of a game on a flash drive? A beanie?
    I think it'd be cool if one of them threw in a cheap anti-static wrist band for PC builders to ground themselves. Of course, that seems like it'd never happen since that'd significantly bring up the cost of each unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    I think it'd be cool if one of them threw in a cheap anti-static wrist band for PC builders to ground themselves. Of course, that seems like it'd never happen since that'd significantly bring up the cost of each unit.
    I'm still not sold on anti-static wrist bands.

Build my first computer in 2006, on carpet, with socks on. No problems.

Built multiple more computers after that - usually on carpet, sometimes with socks, sometimes with long dragging pants.

To this date, and by counting the number of pieces of hardware I've purchases via Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter and ebay - 86. I've yet to kill any computer hardware by not using a an anti-static wrist-strap.

I've even walked my 4790k across my condo - on carpet, with socks. To my kitchen, and then vigorously cleaned off previous thermal goop with paper towels. Then walked it back to the computer - laying down on the carpet, and installed it there, after taking my time to sit down cross-legged.

static electricity. bah humbug.
    4790K @ 4.5Ghz
    MSI Z97M Gaming
    MSI GTX1080TI Gaming X
    Mushkin Reactor 1TB
    Fiio E10K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No wrist strap? No problem. Touch something grounded first, then start working. I usually use my solder rework station.

I have an anti-static mat. Never use it... the repair bench is wooden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Æther Tech View Post
    To this date, and by counting the number of pieces of hardware I've purchases via Amazon, Newegg, Microcenter and ebay - 86. I've yet to kill any computer hardware by not using a an anti-static wrist-strap.
    I've done some research and from what I've read is it's not that the hardware is going to be instantly zapped to death but rather the static potential difference, if your not grounded, could have long-term effects instead of instantaneous.