Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Enermax infinity 720

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    32
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Enermax infinity 720

    Hi, im building my new rig and i was wondering if it is safe to salvage the psu of my old rig.
    My enermax infinity 720 was a superb unit, with more then 50 A divided in 3 12v rail.
    My intent is to build a ryzen rig or coffe lake in september powering it with my old psu for sometime and buy a new one when i change the gpu.
    Actualy i have to power for sometime a ryzen sistem or next mainstream intel, maybe an AiO, 1ssd, 1hdd, 3 fan, 16 or 32 ddr4 and a radron 7970 with the infinity.
    Is it doable?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    385
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

    Default

    I wouldn't trust the CEC caps in the Enermax Infinity 720W anymore.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    32
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    I wouldn't trust the CEC caps in the Enermax Infinity 720W anymore.
    What do you mean?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    385
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

    Default

    The Enermax Infinity 720W uses capacitors from CEC on the secondary side of the power supply. CEC isn't known for their high quality. They already could be defective, without you knowing. Using a PSU with defective capacitors is definitely not recommended. That's because defective capacitors won't filter the ripple anymore. That means that a PSU with defective caps will produce a lot of ripple.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    32
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    The Enermax Infinity 720W uses capacitors from CEC on the secondary side of the power supply. CEC isn't known for their high quality. They already could be defective, without you knowing. Using a PSU with defective capacitors is definitely not recommended. That's because defective capacitors won't filter the ripple anymore. That means that a PSU with defective caps will produce a lot of ripple.
    is there a way to test the ripple without using some instrument? nope yea?
    Last edited by Blake86; 07-19-2017 at 11:59 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    385
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

    Default

    Nope, but you can physical check the capacitors.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    32
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Nope, but you can physical check the capacitors.
    You mean it is possible to tear down the psu and make an idea of the capacitors condition just looking at 'em? Maybe i can post here some photos?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    385
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    112 Posts

    Default

    Yes, just disconnect the PSU from everything (PC and AC mains). Wait 15 minutes so that the capacitors aren't charged anymore. And open the PSU by unscrew the four screws seen here on the upside of the PSU, one is under the warranty void sticker. Don't unscrew the four screws that keep the fan and fan grill in its place.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    32
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Yes, just disconnect the PSU from everything (PC and AC mains). Wait 15 minutes so that the capacitors aren't charged anymore. And open the PSU by unscrew the four screws seen here on the upside of the PSU, one is under the warranty void sticker. Don't unscrew the four screws that keep the fan and fan grill in its place.
    ok thanks! i'll do ASAP

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,715
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    72
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Nope, but you can physical check the capacitors.
    not really

    Have some CEC caps with way more capacitance than specified. That's an indication that the cap is leaky...
    Also high ESR can be possible...

    And other stuff that doesn't let the cap bulge but it's not good no more...

    So for some things you have to test the cap in a circuit under load and see if it filters anything...

    Buttom Line:
    It's not really safe to use anymore and should be refurbished...

Similar Threads

  1. Has my good old Enermax Infinity 720W reached its retirement age?
    By model76 in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-14-2017, 05:39 AM
  2. Infinity 500 W PSU Review at Funkykit (Goes Blammo)
    By bobnova in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 12:56 AM
  3. Fixing the Unfixable Chrysler Infinity Door Speakers
    By Oklahoma Wolf in forum Electronic Component Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM
  4. Modify your Scythe Infinity - LGA 775 mounting system
    By korby in forum General PC Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 04:29 PM
  5. Enermax Infinity 720W
    By CAD4466HK in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •