Thread: Troubleshooting XFX TS 650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Troubleshooting XFX TS 650

Hello Gurus,

Long Introduction:
    As you can see I'm new in this forum and apologize in advance if this post goes somewhere else or this site doesn't give the type of dangerous advice I'm about to ask for.

I'm 23 and study civil engineering in computing (almost did electric) and have a strong dedication towards fixing most gear I own until I've screwed up so much it's useless.

I own a XFX TS650. I use it with a i5-2500k (not overclocked), GTX 760 (Asus OC) and nothing else that power consuming. This PSU was bought on ebay UK from CCLComputers as an "opened box" unit in October 2016. I took care not to buy the refurbished units as I read they were the worst investment. This is my first PSU and the whole system is my first attempt at a desktop computer.

Problem:
    I shut the computer down as anyone would and went to bed. Woke up to a blackout at my house (quiet common where I'm from) and saw both the whole house and plugs fuse on off, I live on a flat and the fuse on the main panel was also off. So I turned them back on and the plugs fuse went off as soon as I did. So I unplugged the PSU and turned it off. Got the house lit up, then I plugged the PSU and tried to turn it on. As soon as I did the plugs fuse went off again and the PSUs switch could not be turned off again, I can press it to off but it doesn't snap into place as is usual, instead it just springs back to the on position. Yes, the whole computer was plugged into the PSU when I did this, so anything could be fried.

I included as much detail as I could since I don't know how much is necessary. My question is: what could have happened? Is it clear without opening up the unit? The warranty sticker remains untouched and I can't get the warranty since I'm in Chile and I believe not even the UK has XFX warranty.

TLDR: After PSU short-circuited with no lights show associated, switch doesn't snap into off position and simply springs back to on position

Thanks! I will be opening up the unit regardless and will include pictures if needed, just wondering if theres any advice on how to proceed considering my noobness on the issue (already tried to fix a 450w cheap unit with no success). I do own multimeter if theres any useful hints on what to test to cross out certain issues.

Pablo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Sounds like a surge caused a failure on the primary side of your power supply. Given the unit in question, it's less likely that it damaged any internal components of your system but that power supply is definitely shot.

Given what you described, you probably just want to drop the thing off at the local electronics recycler as you're most likely not going to be able to repair the unit. I also wouldn't want to put it back into service without being able to test it on a load tester to make sure everything is kosher.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tator Tot For This Useful Post:

Heolus (07-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand. When you say "shot", do you mean anything more specific than plain blown?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heolus View Post
    I understand. When you say "shot", do you mean anything more specific than plain blown?
    Shot as in fully dead. It sounds like a strong enough arc actually fused the power switch open. If that's the case, there is no telling what on the primary side of the power supply got fried in the process.
    There are far too many small components which could have blown that it's not even worth considering doing a repair on.