Thread: High end psu buying advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default High end psu buying advice

Hello!
    A bit of a WOT, just skip ahead if you can't be bothered.

Today I had the unfortunate experience of having a psu die on me.
    I had just installed my brand new 1080ti sea hawk and ran a benchmark just to see how much better it was than my old 680.
    Not more than a minute later and I start to hear weird noises, I thought it was the benchmark but then I turned off the audio and I realized it was coming from the case!! Moments later and the pc shutdown and my UPS went crazy with an overload fault alert, that was the end of my enermax platimax 600.
    Actually that psu was the one I had come back new when I rmaed the previous because it died just like this one.
    Reading around, the few info I found I learnt that Enermax are not anymore an OEM and their quality sort of took a hit especially on my model.
    I have to admit that these last few days are so damn hot and that my room sadly is in the north of 30 degrees Celsius (I think just shy of 40 degrees, not sure, hot as fudge for sure!), but still, I think I will not be buying an enermax psu again!
    Also 600w might not cut it for my system anymore!
    Tried to boot with a corsair 430w psu without a Gpu and it posts, hope the Gpu is still good, don't have the courage to try it with the 430w psu.
    The platimax won't start, doesn't smell or look burnt from what I see.

TLDR: platimax 600 overcharged, won't start, when benching new 1080ti, looking for a new PSU!
    are 800-850w enough or should I aim @ a 1000w?
    I was thinking of going for a titanium one since its on for at least 8 hours a day.
    My UPS is rated @1500VA, should I change that too if I go for a 1000w psu?

Cheers

Apologies for any mistakes but I'm not writing from the computer ofc..

My specs are:
    I7 2600k @ 4400mhz
    2x8 gb ddr3 sticks
    Corsair h105
    Msi seahawk 1080ti (it has another radiator!)
    3 140mm fans
    3 120mm fans (one has LEDs)
    1 sata ssd
    1 sata hdd
    1 external usb3 hdd plugged in 24/7
    Couple of other sub stuff and occasional phone connected

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, buying a titanium PSU just for the power savings isn't worth it as the attached image which uses Orion's PSU energy savings calculator shows, the extra cost of the unit may never pay itself off over time.

As for a new PSU, a RMx 650 will be perfect for your rig, you certainly won't need more power unless you plan on getting a second card for SLI in the near future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuckles_56 For This Useful Post:

Orion (07-14-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Corsair RM550x is also enough for this PC.

Is the Enermax Platimax still under warranty? Because that PSU can also deliver more then enough power. While it's true that they don't have their own factory anymore, the quality from the Platimax is still very good. The Corsair CX430 is by the way more then enough for your PC without graphics card, so you can test with that power supply first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckles_56 View Post
    Okay, buying a titanium PSU just for the power savings isn't worth it as the attached image which uses Orion's PSU energy savings calculator shows, the extra cost of the unit may never pay itself off over time.

As for a new PSU, a RMx 650 will be perfect for your rig, you certainly won't need more power unless you plan on getting a second card for SLI in the near future.
    Well, price for electricity in my country is higher than those 12 cents, I pay 27 cents for 1kwh, euro that is. Still not worth it?

What about the hx series, they only have a 750w minimum thou.

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Corsair RM550x is also enough for this PC.

Is the Enermax Platimax still under warranty? Because that PSU can also deliver more then enough power. While it's true that they don't have their own factory anymore, the quality from the Platimax is still very good. The Corsair CX430 is by the way more then enough for your PC without graphics card, so you can test with that power supply first.
    Should be, last time the store took MONTHS to send me a new one, I'd rather not wait that long and not sure if I want a new one, since the last 2 died I'm not so keen on giving them a secon..oops third chance.

Yeah I got to post with the cx430 already, don't want to run without a gpu for now, just want to throw in a new psu and get back to it.