Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Max current through Super Flower crystal cube EPS connector?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Max current through Super Flower crystal cube EPS connector?

https://youtu.be/f7BqAjC4ZCc?t=3m24s

So in this video der8auer is speculating that X299 motherboards with a single 8-pin CPU connector are not adequate for the high power draw of a heavily overclocked Skylake-X CPUs since he recorded a temperature of 65째C on one of the 12V wires. Jonny noted in a YouTube comment that those Super Flower PSUs with the Crystal Cube Connectors only have 3x 12V pins though.

Does anyone know which particular model is used in the video and what gauge the wires are for the CPU? I think it's 18 AWG but it's hard to tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

Try 20g.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

I think there's something wrong with his testing.

With a 300W load, I only saw a 0.22V drop on the +12V from the PSU to the load. The temperature of the cable never got higher than 36.5째C. Mind you, that's hotter than the HX850 I used as a baseline, but not by much. The HX has 16g wires and I got a temperature of 35.8째C.

Room temperature was at 26째C using the same thermometer to measure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

VSG (06-29-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

On my Leadex Platinum 650W I saw 16, 18, 20 and 22 AWG wires in the modular 8 pins EPS cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

The standard SF EPS12V I've seen uses 16 and 18g. I've only seen this 20g on the G2L.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think most people are less focused on the PSU and more focused on the motherboard. I know he says "at 4.5 and 1.25v, it can pull like 300 watts or something" and he shows the cable, but to me it didn't sound like he took direct measurements of voltage. I would be curious to see your results with the same style motherboards and 7900x and if that influences this test, since the VRM is th main focus of the issue, and the PSU is just kind of a secondary mention.
    Last edited by Scarlet; 06-29-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Try 20g.
    Just to be clear, is that on the EVGA or the Super Flower? Either way it's crazy, I wouldn't expect to run into 20AWG for the EPS on anything but a cheapo.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I think there's something wrong with his testing.

With a 300W load, I only saw a 0.22V drop on the +12V from the PSU to the load. The temperature of the cable never got higher than 36.5째C.
    He did have the thermocouple at the PSU end of the cable, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. Then again, I'm not sure if it was just temporary positioned to take the picture, but the fan looks to be almost completely choked off in the image...

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    On my Leadex Platinum 650W I saw 16, 18, 20 and 22 AWG wires in the modular 8 pins EPS cable.
    I assume the 16 is the one that splits to get the extra 12V for the EPS connector, 18 AWG for most of the rest, one 20 for sense, and the 22 for the LED? At least I hope that's how it's arranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    since the VRM is th main focus of the issue, and the PSU is just kind of a secondary mention.
    Right, the PSU is just a small part of this X299 overclocking debate. I just want to clarify the wire temps on the EPS connector and whether a single 8-pin is enough since his results are very unusual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Completely understandable to want to know, but I am just as curious if the rig was trying to pull more than 300w, since he specifically says, "like 300w or something". Could that possibly cause issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts

Not sure how he measured that power or anything. Clamping ammeter? Or did he just trust software? Or is he talking about what he saw coming from the wall?

All and all... a very incomplete assessment. Don't know the guy, but I think he could have done a lot more work, even with simple tools, before releasing the video, to avoid so many unanswered questions.

Is this typical German behaviour?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Completely understandable to want to know, but I am just as curious if the rig was trying to pull more than 300w, since he specifically says, "like 300w or something". Could that possibly cause issues?
    Oh sorry, I see what you meant now.

I can't find it now, but I saw a mention somewhere that der8auer is possibly using an engineering sample for this testing. If so, it could be more power hungry under these settings than the retail chips.

Then he may have just thrown out the 300W figure based off the reviews but was actually drawing significantly more in his testing, which would help explain the results. I guess we'll need clarification from Roman on his test setup and more testing from other people to know for sure.