Thread: PSU and UPS compatibility

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy PSU and UPS compatibility

Hello everyone.

I have a problem, I built a gaming pc and i chose the Seasonic m12ii 520w as my PSU unknowingly that this one will cause some problems with UPS.

Unfortunately i have a lot of power outages and brownouts where i live, so i always use a UPS with my pcs, but until now i've never had a powerful gaming rig, so i've never had issues my APC 500v over the years, now after searching i found out that Seasonic requires a pure sinewave UPS, which cost half the amount of my rig, I saw some people saying that they used a simulated sinewave UPS and worked fine with the 620w, but no word on the 520w, and the only article that talks about this issue is down and can't be viewed in cache: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cas...roundup-2.html

So now i don't know what to do, and i have a choice between 2 UPS:
    1. APC back-ups 1100v with 550w
    2. APC back-ups 1100v with 660w

It still expensive but better than the sinewave one, i just want to know if someone has the "Seasonic m12ii 520w" and the "APC back-ups 1100va" to confirm if it does work, i talked to my local store and said that it won't return it if it turns out that it's not compatible, and wasting 200$ (in my currency) on it is crazy, so can someone please give me an idea on this issue and how to fix it, thanks in advance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I use 4 simulated sinewave UPS's with three PC's and a router. I built two of the computers with Seasonic PSU's -- two were X-650's and one X-650 (Gold) was swapped out for a (Platinum) 660W. I have never had a second of problem with them. However, I use Cyberpower 1000W and 1500W UPS machines.

As I see it, your problem may stem from the fact that you are using an ancient Seasonic design. Your UPS may have too few watts, but I doubt that; I got overkill so we could ride out brownouts and blackouts with our NJ power.

Good luck with your system.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks ehume, I bought a UPS with stepped sinewaves and it worked fine, no overloading or anything, but my PSU is making a sharp buzzing sound, i know this is a commun thing to happen between pure sinewave PSUs and stepped sinewave UPSs BUT will it harm my components?? The noise is annoying but i don't have a choice unless it will damage my build, so do you hear this noise on your system?

Thank you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by samomusic View Post
    Thanks ehume, I bought a UPS with stepped sinewaves and it worked fine, no overloading or anything, but my PSU is making a sharp buzzing sound, i know this is a commun thing to happen between pure sinewave PSUs and stepped sinewave UPSs BUT will it harm my components?? The noise is annoying but i don't have a choice unless it will damage my build, so do you hear this noise on your system?

Thank you
    My homenet has a 2008 Dell, 2 recently updated homebuilts and the router, split on a separate UPS each. The two homebuilt over time have been upgraded from Lynnfields to Haswell & Devil's Canyon, all with the same UPS. The when my daughter's machine was upgraded from a Lynnfield to a Devil's Canyon I moved her to the Platinum PSU. The Dell has used its anonymous PSU since 2008. So we're looking at 4 PSU's, three known to be Seasonics. None of them have ever made any noise, and the UPS units date from Jan-Feb 2013.

I'm sorry to hear about the noise you are experiencing. As for whether it can damage your machine, I'll have to leave that to one of our electronics experts.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, looks like i'm unlucky on this one. I guess that my Seasonic 520w has an old architecture compared to newer ones that are more forgiving than mine. I only need less than a 5mn to shut down my PC and i'll not push my luck any further, so i hope it will be fine.

I really hope to hear from an expert, but in both cases i'm stuck with what i have right now and i just hope for the best.

Thank you so much for your input.