Thread: New EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 crashing PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 crashing PC

So, I recently upgraded my GPU from a 970 to a 1080TI. However when I play games or run benchmarks my PC restarts itself. Which from everything I've read tells me that my PSU isn't giving enough juice.
    The EVGA site tells me that it has a 280W max draw, and PCPP tells me my build only draws 442.
    I figured my CX750M would be able to support it, however the only way that I can finish the benchmarks is by limiting the power through Precision/Afterburner. I can finish VRMark orange at 100%, 80% allows me to finish VRMark Blue, but it still crashes during the 3DMark test during the Combined Test. I've been able to finish the 3DMark by lowering the power to 50%.

I've tried with and without Precision/Afterburner, I've ran DDU and reinstalled the drivers. So, only thing left is the PSU doesn't actually provide the 750 like I thought?
    I was recommended the Seasonic Flagship PRIME TITANIUM 750 SSR-750TD, but based on the review of the 850 Titanium here, it sounds like I don't actually need the Titanium version. Is there a better fit for me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, other variables to consider:

MB PCIE slot able to handle the required voltage? You don't mention rest of system Specs.

Thermals inside your rig?...is Graphics card overheating, (or causing other components (MB, MB VRM to overheat)

The entire system needs to be evaluated. Not just PSU and Graphics card alone.

FYI, this comes up often in FOLDING and BITCOIN rigs...PSU might be the issue, but quality of power supplied through PCIE lanes, MB, also an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, looking at your card, it certainly should have about a dozen ways to help you trouble shoot. This card has all the latest and greatest feed back for sure !

"9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M "

Shouldn't the precision software tell you if you are having thermal or voltage issues that is causing the failure?

But, looking at everything, it does appear that your PSU is the weakest link.

IDK, I'll let others chime in on the possible technical causes.

But to answer your broad question, yes, 750 watts is plenty.

I suspect it is a quality rather than a quantity issue.

You don't need Titanium, but I'd have stepped up from Bronze myself.

The PRIME PLAT is $120 today AMIR

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...69&ignorebbr=1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Noxaru,
    The CX750M does put out 750watts continuously at temperature up to 40°C, so I have a pretty good feeling that the crashing that you're experiencing has nothing to do with the PSU not able to produce the amount of power your system requires. Also, if your system was working fine all that time until you changed the GPU, then it's probably worth looking into the card, as it is the hardware change you made prior running into this stability issue.

Few things to keep in mind. Moving from 970 to 1080ti card does not have a huge gap in term of minimum power requirement, 100watts at most IIRC. What I would suggest is try that card on a different system and see if you get the same behavior. OR put the old card back and run the same benchmarks.

I would check DRAM by running the system with one stick at the time and see if you can isolate and bad RAM. Make sure you have "restart automatically" unchecked under "advance system settings" in Windows. It's possible that you could be bypassing a BSOD.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 06-26-2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, low chance that he disturbed RAM in replacing a GPU.

I would however check the fitting/ seating in PCIE slot and all the PCIE connections.

But I agree, could just be bad luck with the card...the greater the complexity, the greater the chance of a glitch...all those sensors might be giving a false positive...shutting the card down when not necessary.

I've noticed this with my Ford Explorer...the hyper sensitive anti-sway, stability sensors work as far as getting a safe and smooth ride. However it comes at the cost of gas mileage and brake pad life. I've driven over a million miles over the last 40 years and I NEVER had a car eat brake pads like this one. Lucky to get 30,000 miles before a complete rebuild/front and back...with all long distance highway miles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, I've tried/trying a couple things.
    I tried the 1080 in a different PCI-E slot: Same outcome
    I swapped back to the 970: Passes all Benchmarks.
    I'm going to pick up (borrow) the exact same PSU from BB, and check to see if it is my PSU or not (if it is I'll try to RMA my old one).
    I have that Seasonic 750 Platinum on the way, and if it's still happening it's gotta be the card.

P.S does it matter which PCI-E slot I use for testing, it's a pain to remove the GPUs with my Noctuas right on top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the new CX750M works so far, it let me complete the 3dMark Firestrike a few times, and then tried the Firestrike Ultra for 4k, and it passed. Submitting an RMA for my old PSU, and I'll keep it as a backup for the Seasonic I guess.
    Thanks for the advice.