Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a PSU among these choices

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recommend a PSU among these choices

Currently dealing with Seasonic to RMA my M12II 520W - seems like it will take some time so I need to get a temporary(or permanent) replacement, I have narrowed down my choices to these 3 PSUs based on past recommendations:

1) Corsair CX450M - 62 USD
    2) Corsair CX650M - 72 USD
    3) Super Flower Gold 550W - 91 USD

I'm running on a single GPU system with Intel E3-1230V2 xeon processor and Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 3GB, with no plan of overclocking the GPU.

PcPartPicker rates my wattage usage at 297W, I am leaning toward CX450M due to limited budget, would that be fine or would I need the 650W? Can't get the 550W version in my country.

I know the SF Gold is in a different tier but what other noticeable difference would I see if I were to pay 30 dollars more for the Super Flower Gold?

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by arsenalist View Post
    I am leaning toward CX450M due to limited budget, would that be fine
    Yes, it will be fine (BTW a link to your local suppliers/country will be welcome).

I know the SF Gold is in a different tier but what other noticeable difference would I see if I were to pay 30 dollars more for the Super Flower Gold?
    Which "Gold"? Golden Green? Golden King? Leadex I? Leadex II?
    And what do you mean for "noticeable difference"?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Yes, it will be fine (BTW a link to your local suppliers/country will be welcome).
    A fellow member has posted local e-store links here before, and was recommended Cooler Master G550M/V550S. The G550M is about the same price as CX650M, so 10 dollars more expensive than CX450M. The V550S is about 6-7 dollars cheaper than the Super Flower Gold Leadex 550W, which I prefer the latter due to full modularity and superior(?) quality and so I've taken that out.

I know the Be Quiet! Pure Power can be a pretty good alternative but they don't sell it here, only the Straight Powers.

Which "Gold"? Golden Green? Golden King? Leadex I? Leadex II?
    And what do you mean for "noticeable difference"?
    It's the Gold Leadex I 550W, and by noticeable difference I mean the utility bill, maybe noise as I've heard the CX-M can get pretty noisy.

One thing to note is that my country is a tropical country - so it's hot and humid,around 34~ degrees celcius on a normal day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A fellow member has posted local e-store links here before
    Link to that post, then.

The G550M is about the same price as CX650M, so 10 dollars more expensive than CX450M.
    The only real advantage of the GM is that it's vastly quieter than 2015 CXM, so if you praise quietness and CM support is good there (the unit should have 5 years warranty, which is warmly welcome when dealing with quiet / under cooled PSUs) you could go for it even if there's a price difference.

they don't sell it here, only the Straight Powers.
    Straight Power E10 series is a good lineup so, if prices were not too high there, and you were looking for quietness, then I guess that would be a good option.

It's the Gold Leadex I 550W, and by noticeable difference I mean the utility bill, maybe noise as I've heard the CX-M can get pretty noisy.
    Leadex I 550 isn't particularly quiet but it's surely better than anything else, quality wise: about efficiency, I don't think the better efficiency will bring you substantial money savings (substantial with reference to the price difference), but it's up to your local electricity tariffs and usage patterns.

One thing to note is that my country is a tropical country - so it's hot and humid,around 34~ degrees celcius on a normal day.
    If ambient temp is around 34° celsius and there's a lot of humidity, maybe a low noise PSU might not be the best candidate.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Link to that post, then.

The only real advantage of the GM is that it's vastly quieter than 2015 CXM, so if you praise quietness and CM support is good there (the unit should have 5 years warranty, which is warmly welcome when dealing with quiet / under cooled PSUs) you could go for it even if there's a price difference.

Straight Power E10 series is a good lineup so, if prices were not too high there, and you were looking for quietness, then I guess that would be a good option.

Leadex I 550 isn't particularly quiet but it's surely better than anything else, quality wise: about efficiency, I don't think the better efficiency will bring you substantial money savings (substantial with reference to the price difference), but it's up to your local electricity tariffs and usage patterns.

If ambient temp is around 34° celsius and there's a lot of humidity, maybe a low noise PSU might not be the best candidate.
    Link to that post. It is pretty outdated by now in term of the product availability, so if you'd like to take a look at available products, the two sites I frequent are:

Anyway, Corsair and Cooler Master both have very sizable presence here in term of product lineup and market share, compared to other brands.

What would be the criteria that I should look for when acquiring a PSU that will be used in hot/humid country?

Would the CX450M suit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Would the Silverstone 450W 80 Gold SFX Full Modular be a better choice than the SuperFlower? It's roughly 10 dollars cheaper than the Leadex Gold, although I am not exactly sure whether the SFX factor would fit in my case with a bracket, it's a CM690 III.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

No that's definitely a worse option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

the two sites I frequent are:

On those sites some interesting options money wise could be the Segotep 80 Plus Gold GP600G 500W , the Corsair CX450M, the Segotep 80 Plus Platinum GP600P 500W , the Cooler Master G550M, the Corsair TX550M, the Cooler Master V550S, and even the Super Flower Leadex Silver 650W has its points of strenght (albeit pricing isn't the most favourable among those units). Then there's that Super Flower you quoted, but it isn't mandatory, IMHO: I mean, it's a bit better than the V550S and Leadex Silver, and probably than the TX550M, but the price difference is likely higher than the advantage.

What would be the criteria that I should look for when acquiring a PSU that will be used in hot/humid country?
    TTBOMK there's no particular criterium, it's just that quiet PSUs rely upon slow spinning fans, and slow spinning fans means higher PSU temperature, as well as high humidity & ambient temp put pressure on PSU internal temp.

Would the CX450M suit?
    Already said yes.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting recommendation of the Segotep, I can't seem to find any English reviews about it but any discussion on the brand on any English sites seem to hold a pretty negative view of the brand. Is it any good?

I can actually understand Chinese, and on some googling I found that the primary cap is a SamXon and the secondary caps are a mix of SamXons and Teapos, on the GP500G.
    Last edited by arsenalist; 06-05-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is it any good?
    Yes, it should be good, albeit you can't find it in western world (but they're sold in eastern europe): it's made by Fortech and it's virtually the same design of the Enermax Platimax D.F. presented at CeBit 2016.

I can actually understand Chinese, and on some googling I found that the primary cap is a SamXon and the secondary caps are a mix of SamXons and Teapos, on the GP500G.
    AFAIK you can find also CapXon inside, I guess it depends of AVL: BTW, Teapos and Samxons are not japanese but are not that bad also, moreover it's the same kind of mix you can find in any similarly priced unit, for what it worths.

Actually the platform looks rather good: as you may know, chinese PcPop reported around 1% regulation and sub 40mV ripple with high efficiency, and somewhat similar results were reported in Europe by the romanian site Lab501.
    Last edited by quest for silence; 06-05-2017 at 05:23 AM.
    Best, Luca