Thread: How to stress test PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How to stress test PSU?

I recently posted a thread asking about the difficulty of replacing the PSU fan myself here, and was informed that I am covered for 5 years of warranty. Long story short, the Seasonic reseller quit distributing in my country so I sent it to Taiwan for RMA (which cost a bomb) and it came back with all the bad signs that I had before sending it to RMA.

First, the issues I face initially:
    • PSU makes a ticking noise during (heavy) load
    • Lines and waves appear on monitor, then screen flickers non-stop before turning black
    • Fan does not move at all, in load or not

I sent it to Seasonic Taiwan and after investigation, I was told that the PSU 'failed on 3.3v components', with this image attached:

When I got my PSU back after 2 weeks or so, I immediately assembled it, my PC booted up but upon reaching the Windows screen, screen starts flickering again but there was no ticking noise like last time so I shut it down. The next day, my computer booted up fine but two hours into my gaming session, there would be lines appearing and then the ticking noise came back, before it turned into full blown screen flickers and black screen. I suspect that this only happens when the PC is under certain load.

I have done a few tests to ensure that it isn't other components that are failing:
    • Monitor and its cables work perfectly fine - I used it with my laptop while the PSU was away for RMA
    • I swapped a graphics card and screen flickers were still there
    • I swapped out the PSU and installed another PSU that I borrowed and there was no flickering right after, however I did not do a stress test to put it under heavy load

Now, I know that Seasonic is a very reputable PSU maker and I trust them that they have acted in good faith and has repaired my PSU, but it came back with all the signs that I was having. I think I am going to do one last test before bringing this back to Seasonic, but I have a couple of questions:

1) How do I stress test my PSU and what software I can use if I don't have any tools? I'm planning to just run Prime95 and Heaven benchmark, would that be good enough?
    2) The issues I'm facing, how likely are they PSU's fault?

Edit: I have just realized that in the email chain with the Seasonic Taiwan rep, she made no mention of the engineer fixing the dead fan, I will stress test it again and see if the fan is spinning, as my primary suspicion of all these issues happening is because the fan isn't spinning and the PSU overheated.
    Last edited by arsenalist; 06-01-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Topic was placeholder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,

Thank you for your message and sorry for this.
    Is it possible to let me know your serial number or any info that could help me to find your RMA request please. I will check all this and I'm sure we will find a solution for your power supply.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, I think it is safe to conclude now that the PSU is the culprit. I replaced the faulty PSU with one that I borrowed (ironically, also Seasonic) and ran Unigine Heaven Benchmark with extreme settings and Prime95 together for a good 40 minutes - no flickering, no black screen, no lines, no waves and no ticking noise - no issue.

I was initially planning to stress test the faulty PSU to see whether the fan spins, but after some deliberation I am not even gonna bother now, it's too risky if the PSU goes kaboom and take my whole system away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonic Rep View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for your message and sorry for this.
    Is it possible to let me know your serial number or any info that could help me to find your RMA request please. I will check all this and I'm sure we will find a solution for your power supply.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
    I will reply to the e-mail communication.