Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsair rmi1000 or... What?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Corsair rmi1000 or... What?

Hi everyone, first, great site and great forum, realy, cheers.
    I have a few questions. I was planning to build a semi-high end rig, probably with a new coffelake cpu, this summer. I will keep my actual gpu for now but i'll surely go sli or cross fire in the future. I dont want to save money on the psu but also i want to choose wisely.
    Probably a 850 W unit will be more than enough but i prefer to go with 1000 w just to be sure to have enough horsepower in case of upgrades.
    Im not a maniac of efficiency so a gold unit it s ok, most importat are reliability and max ppssible low ripple cause im sure that a clean current can grant better lifespan of components.
    Mi eyes went on the rmi1000 unit that collected more than positive rewievs. The only "problem" : it is a two years old unit.
    What do you think about? A psu is always a psu, if a platform was exellent two years ego, it is exellent today as well.
    Last edited by Blake86; 05-23-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a silly question but are you planning on running like 4x RX 580s or 3/4 way crossfire for VEGA? as that is the only way you'll need a 1000W PSU now days, as 850W is plenty for a overclocked to the max AMD/Intel CPU and 2 1080tis. So unless you are planning on spending that much coin on your new rig, something like the RMx 550, Bitfenix Whisper 550W or EVGA G3 are going to be perfect for your needs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckles_56 View Post
    Just a silly question but are you planning on running like 4x RX 580s or 3/4 way crossfire for VEGA?
    Are you calling The Mask silly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckles_56 View Post
    Just a silly question but are you planning on running like 4x RX 580s or 3/4 way crossfire for VEGA? as that is the only way you'll need a 1000W PSU now days, as 850W is plenty for a overclocked to the max AMD/Intel CPU and 2 1080tis. So unless you are planning on spending that much coin on your new rig, something like the RMx 550, Bitfenix Whisper 550W or EVGA G3 are going to be perfect for your needs
    Probably the 850 will be ok, i tried to set up a configuration on many psu calculator and Actually if you put an overclocked cpu, plenty of fans and 2 1080 ti (just to try something, sure i will not spend 2 k in vga lol) you reach something like 800 W that is realy near 850.
    Anyway, im asking if you still look at the rm1000i (or the rm850i) or there are better 850/1000 w psu under 200€.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turkey3_scratch View Post
    Are you calling The Mask silly?
    I would have said the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake86 View Post
    Probably the 850 will be ok, i tried to set up a configuration on many psu calculator and Actually if you put an overclocked cpu, plenty of fans and 2 1080 ti (just to try something, sure i will not spend 2 k in vga lol) you reach something like 800 W that is realy near 850.
    You also a 4K 120Hz monitor?
    Anyway, im asking if you still look at the rm1000i (or the rm850i) or there are better 850/1000 w psu under 200€.
    Are you gonna use Corsair Link for monitoring your power consumption and voltages?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Nuckles_56 (05-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, i think it is not so important the corsair link part, as many high quality psu come without such functionality.
    I just dont see the point of the 4k resolution and psu. Can you explain me better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Well if you only have a full HD screen, two high-end graphics cards like the GTX 1080 Ti are extremely useless. Then you have the disadvantages from SLI, but no advantage because you don't use the power. And over 5 years when games are that heavy that you need two GTX 1080 Ti cards for full HD, the GTX 1080 Ti is so outdated that you don't even want that graphics card anymore.

About Corsair Link, if you don't use that there is also a RMx and HX which are based on the same platform without Corsair Link.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

GDILord (05-24-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Well if you only have a full HD screen, two high-end graphics cards like the GTX 1080 Ti are extremely useless. Then you have the disadvantages from SLI, but no advantage because you don't use the power. And over 5 years when games are that heavy that you need two GTX 1080 Ti cards for full HD, the GTX 1080 Ti is so outdated that you don't even want that graphics card anymore.

About Corsair Link, if you don't use that there is also a RMx and HX which are based on the same platform without Corsair Link.
    For the resolution i play at the moment on a full hd monitor but next year i will probably buy a vr visor. I think the vr is the future of the multi gpu, and viceversa, as each eye can be renderized by one of the two gpu.
    Do you think rmx is good s the rmi version? Cause i read here thet there are not exactly the same, starting from the fan. But i can think about the Hx anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blake86 View Post
    For the resolution i play at the moment on a full hd monitor but next year i will probably buy a vr visor. I think the vr is the future of the multi gpu, and viceversa, as each eye can be renderized by one of the two gpu.
    Do you think rmx is good s the rmi version? Cause i read here thet there are not exactly the same, starting from the fan. But i can think about the Hx anyway
    Same platform with some small changes, indeed the fan, Corsair Link and Over Current Protection. But if you're not gonna use Corsair Link the HX serie is a bit better then the RMi. The rifle bearing fan in the RMx series is also not bad.

I agree with VR, but current VR stuff is far from final. It will take a lot of years before VR is really gonna be good and useful. If VR is gonna be a real thing, your current hardware is already totally obsolete and replaced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Same platform with some small changes, indeed the fan, Corsair Link and Over Current Protection. But if you're not gonna use Corsair Link the HX serie is a bit better then the RMi. The rifle bearing fan in the RMx series is also not bad.

I agree with VR, but current VR stuff is far from final. It will take a lot of years before VR is really gonna be good and useful. If VR is gonna be a real thing, your current hardware is already totally obsolete and replaced.
    I searched all over the internet for a rewiew of the Hx series, but the only things i can find are rewiew of older unit dated 2007-2008, obviously not the actual hx unit.