Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Computex 2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post

Making a SFX PSU more silent then the Corsair SF450 isn't gonna be easy, even if in SFX-L format. You actually have a SF450 and it's to noisy?
    Yeah, I think it's to noisy (pc is on desk 80cm from me), but I'm thinking of replacing the 92mm fan with a noctua or bequiet one. It would of course be mounted on the outside, since theres no room inside for a 25mm thick fan, but that shouldn't be a problem i think.

And i would probably loose the warranty, but it has a 7 year warranty and I'm not sure how better cooling can be bad for the unit. Or am I terribly mistaken?
    Computers are ment to be seen, not heard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Making a SFX PSU more silent then the Corsair SF450 isn't gonna be easy, even if in SFX-L format. You actually have a SF450 and it's to noisy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat-Roner View Post
    Yeah, I think it's to noisy (pc is on desk 80cm from me), but I'm thinking of replacing the 92mm fan with a noctua or bequiet one. It would of course be mounted on the outside, since theres no room inside for a 25mm thick fan, but that shouldn't be a problem i think.

And i would probably loose the warranty, but it has a 7 year warranty and I'm not sure how better cooling can be bad for the unit. Or am I terribly mistaken?
    You would "lose" your warranty. You also won't accomplish your goal since the "problem" is the fan controller and not the fan.

You're chasing waterfalls.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    You also won't accomplish your goal since the "problem" is the fan controller and not the fan.
    So was Aris right (that there's a "problem" with GW's fan controller)?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    So was Aris right (that there's a "problem" with GW's fan controller)?
    Yes. And now I have to have upper management approve the engineering resources to fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

by getting rid of the semi fanless mode?
    Or at least add a switch to switch it off if it is problematic or not wanted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Yes. And now I have to have upper management approve the engineering resources to fix it.
    What exactly is the "problem" with it?
    Computers are ment to be seen, not heard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

It uses a standard thermistor circuit for changing the voltage to the fan. Very simple circuit where temperatures change the value of a resistor which in turn changes the voltage to the fan, which is what changes the fan speed.

99.9% of PSUs on the market use this method to control fans. You can change the value of the thermistor, but this only changes the curve. It may make it quieter at one level, but loud again at another.

Corsair's RMx and up use an MCU that can be programmed to have a certain fan curve. Variables such as load and duration of speed at particular RPMs can be programmed into the micro-controller. HEC and Seasonic now use an IC with similar functionality, though not as powerful as our MCU. It's cheaper than the MCU though, so I need to get some experience with that to see if it can solve the problem with "unpredictable fan speeds" or if I need to go with the full blown MCU solution.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

breixobaloca (06-03-2017), crmaris (06-05-2017), frewster (06-03-2017), GDILord (06-03-2017), Nuckles_56 (06-03-2017), Pat-Roner (06-03-2017), Philipus II (06-04-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Default Raijintek Announces Four New PSU Lines

Among many new products, including cases and cooling solutions, Raijintek revealed several PSU lines at Computex 2017.

Raijintek’s top PSU line is called Apella and consists of three members with 550W, 650W, and 750W capacities, featuring 80 PLUS Gold efficiency. The interesting part with those fully modular units is that they will be sold with no modular cables; only the AC power cord will be provided. Users will be able though to choose among a variety of cable kits, which seem to be of high quality, that will only cost 30 euros (around $30 for the US market) while similar cable kits for other PSUs are typically way more expensive.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/rai...tex,34615.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Default SilverStone Teases Its First Passive SFX-L PSU

SilverStone showed off its first passive SFX-L PSU at Computex 2017.

The PSU is actually based on the sample platform provided by Enhance, the SX800-LTI, which is the strongest SFX-L unit to date. This new model is currently in the design/implementation phase, and we don’t expect it to debut until sometime in 2018.

We spotted a USB socket on the PSU’s modular panel, and noticed that the enormous heatsinks it uses to optimally dissipate heat make it quite heavy. Unfortunately, besides its 450W capacity, no other information about this unit is available. We did ask if we could crack it open, but unfortunately and not-unexpectedly, SilverStone responded in the negative.

We hope to see this product on store shelves sooner than later, given that no other passive SFX-L models are available today. Just don’t expect it to have an affordable price tag even when it debuts.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sil...tex,34602.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Default Seasonic Brings Mid-Level 'Focus' PSU Line To Computex

Seasonic brought its entire PSU portfolio to Computex 2017, and two series in particular caught our eyes: Prime and Focus.

The Seasonic Prime units might have top characteristics and very good performance, but we believe that the most interesting line will be the upcoming Focus, because it will be more affordable and thus able to address a notably larger crowd.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sea...tex,34648.html