Thread: I'm really worried I bought the wrong PSU (Corsair sf450)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I'm really worried I bought the wrong PSU (Corsair sf450)

Hello everyone! I posted on reddit for some advice and the good fellas over there redirected me here, telling me I can get some better advice here. I'm really anxious, this is my first build and I've been reading about PSU's and I thought that the one I ordered (the Corsair sf 450, I'm doing a mini ITX build so a small factor PSU is required) would be enough, but now some PSU calculators online show me that I'm going to need a better PSU. Like 600W or 650W. What do you think? A friend told me that the one I've ordered would be enough, and all the parts have already arrived, the PSU arrived today too. If I have to return it and wait for a new one that would be kind of annoying. I'll do it if I have to, of course, but waiting for another week or two is making me sad. I was so hyped

Here's the pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Gy69LD

Some folks suggested I would be perfectly fine with this power supply, other said it would leave no room for upgrade (I don't plan to soon anyway), and others told me I shouldn't risk it. I don't know what to do, any advice is welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

It will be enough.

The system won't use more than around 300w when gaming. There's going to be some reserves so no need to worry.

ps note on the build .. kinda silly to pair an "overclocking friendly" board with a not so overclocking (if any) friendy CPU.. seems like a waste of motherboard.

Also, you'd get way more performance (about 20-25% extra) with a Ryzen 1500x (4x3.5 , 3.7 ghz turbo) which can probably be overclocked to 3.8-3.9ghz with no problems at all ... and it's 190$ ...
    For 220$ you can go with Ryzen 1600 ( 6x3.2..3.6 ghz) that's even faster (maybe about twice as fast as that 6500) and you also have a decent cooler included in package.

Ryzen 1500x : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113436
    Ryzen 1600 : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113435

As for motherboards, ITX selection is pretty limited for socket AM4 , right now Newegg has only this one and it's out of stock : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813138452

Gigabyte should launch Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WiFi fairly soon, so if you're not in a rush to build your new computer, it may be worth the wait.

The Biostar board cheaper than the Intel board but the downside is that it has no built in wireless - you could work around that by buying a decent usb 3.0 wireless adapter which wouldn't take much space in the back of the box, or you could even plug it inside the case in a usb 3 header and place the antennas outside (if you buy an adapter with detachable antennas)
    Last edited by mariush; 05-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    It will be enough.

The system won't use more than around 300w when gaming. There's going to be some reserves so no need to worry.
    Thank you! What if I decide to overclock the RAM or the GPU/CPU a bit? Or is that off limits?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariush View Post
    It will be enough.

ps note on the build .. kinda silly to pair an "overclocking friendly" board with a not so overclocking (if any) friendy CPU.. seems like a waste of motherboard.

Also, you'd get way more performance (about 20-25% extra) with a Ryzen 1500x (4x3.5 , 3.7 ghz turbo) which can probably be overclocked to 3.8-3.9ghz with no problems at all ... and it's 190$ ...
    For 220$ you can go with Ryzen 1600 ( 6x3.2..3.6 ghz) that's even faster (maybe about twice as fast as that 6500) and you also have a decent cooler included in package.

Ryzen 1500x : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113436
    Ryzen 1600 : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113435

As for motherboards, ITX selection is pretty limited for socket AM4 , right now Newegg has only this one and it's out of stock : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813138452

Gigabyte should launch Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WiFi fairly soon, so if you're not in a rush to build your new computer, it may be worth the wait.

The Biostar board cheaper than the Intel board but the downside is that it has no built in wireless - you could work around that by buying a decent usb 3.0 wireless adapter which wouldn't take much space in the back of the box, or you could even plug it inside the case in a usb 3 header and place the antennas outside (if you buy an adapter with detachable antennas)
    I've ordered everything about 2-3 weeks ago, delivery is pretty slow here. I know ryzen is a beast, although AM4 mITX motherboards are non-existent in my country. I got this motherboard, because after some research on the market here, it was the only one with built in bluetooth and wi-fi, and I really need both of them.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jaedongwp View Post
    Thank you! What if I decide to overclock the RAM or the GPU/CPU a bit?
    It's all right.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    It's all right.
    thanks