Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVGA Supernova G3 750 or?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question EVGA Supernova G3 750 or?

Hi. I need a PSU. From where I'm standing it looks like EVGA Supernova G3 750 is a perfect match for me both in terms of price and performance. It costs 161.37 Euro here in Poland (SIC! I earn about 400 EUR monthly) but I will get it from Amazon.de for 122 Euro (about 510 PLN) which seems decent for a Top of the charts PSU.

My current PC: http://valid.x86.fr/7pza92

Right now I have chieftec 650w cft-650-14cs and um... I think it's time...

My voltages are 1.36V on core, 1.36V on FSB, 1.4V on NB @ 3875MHz. GPU is also OC'ed a little.

I will soon have new CPU - a Xeon E5450 and I will OC.

I plan to get a new platform after Pinnacle Ridge launch or maybe later so I just want the the maximum performance I can afford since them crazy peeps at EVGA give 10 YEARS OF WARRANTY and u never know whether or not new AMD Vega won't eat 7000W in idle . My limit is 190 EUR (800PLN) but like I said, I really like the 122EUR for 750W G3.

http://www.ceneo.pl/ - a Polish price comparison site
    https://www.amazon.de/ - a place where stuff is sometimes 40 EUR cheaper for some reason...

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quest for silence For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (05-13-2017), VnnAmed (05-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Bitfenix Whisper M, be quiet Pure or Straight Power, maybe Dark Power Pro. For a start.

The EVGA units aren't that good in terms of noise. Have a Leadex II here and it was rather disapointing because fan voltage/RPM is rather high. I've seen better in lower end units - like Cougar GX-S.

All in all, I'd get something else...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stefan Payne For This Useful Post:

VnnAmed (05-13-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Hmm, so Corsair RM1000x for 170EUR looks juicy (700PLN). But I don't want to skimp on PSU this time and I want that best performing brick. I read reviews of both. RM1000x is very good at almost plat lvl efficiency. But EVGA has voltage regulation at decimal places (wowo) and a bit better ripple suppression. Right now due to I think not being officially sold in Europe EVGA Supernova G3 1000W is 236EUR which is Is it worth w8ing for it to be at normal price?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Payne View Post
    Bitfenix Whisper M, be quiet Pure or Straight Power, maybe Dark Power Pro. For a start.

The EVGA units aren't that good in terms of noise. Have a Leadex II here and it was rather disappointing because fan voltage/RPM is rather high. I've seen better in lower end units - like Cougar GX-S.

All in all, I'd get something else...
    The noise is not a problem. I have 40 Watt desk fan blowing air at my self made test bench case. Then there is a CoolerMaster 60mm thingy (veeeery high pitch whining noise) blowing air directly at the heat pipes and the CPU (up to 4 degrees Celsius less in IntelBurn High). Also after I broke my Cryorig's H5 Ultimate 1400RPM fan recently I think I will buy Noctua NF-A14 3000RPM which is also pretty loud. So um... I don't think I would be able to hear my PSU anyway unless it like... explodes? I like your German thinking tho. Why does it have to be only efficient when it can be quiet and efficient? It's just that I'm personally rather not that concerned with noise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VnnAmed View Post
    Hmm, so Corsair RM1000x for 170EUR looks juicy (700PLN).
    Are you making fun of me? And didn't you state you're short on money?

Well, I'll state you bold: YOU DO NOT NEED OF A NOMINAL CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF 550W, NOT EVEN BY MISTAKE, NO MATTER THE OVERCLOCKING.
    Last edited by quest for silence; 05-14-2017 at 06:10 AM.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

You paid for the fan and the fan controller as well. If you can get something with an awesome fan and fan controller for a bit more, why not go for it?
    Or if you can get a better fan controller for the same price or less, why not go for it?

I have 3 (modern) Super Flower units here. All of them aren't that great in terms of noise. The electrical performance may be OK but that isn't an issue with most modern units anyway...

And you may not be concerned about noise right now but that might change as the noise of the room changes. Here where I live the loudest things are the trees outside. Ambient Noise overall is rather low...
    And tbh: I have had rather noisy PCs myself for years. But that was 20 yeas ago. The components you could buy as an enduser were loud as hell...
    For a silent PC you had to pay more. Those days are gone...

So why not get a really good PSU that is as quiet as it's possible -> be quiet are the best in this case. And their fans are amazing...

The Rest is still good, still I don't think the EVGA is worth the money with THAT fan controller. There are other units on the market that are better for the same price or less...

I will soon have new CPU - a Xeon E5450 and I will OC.
    Are you kiddin me?!
    Why the heck do you want to buy an LGA771 CPU?! That just makes 0 Sense. That plattform is so shitty and old for todays things that it's not worth spending 1 cent (or polish gold) on it.

Save your money for a decent system and also the PSU.
    If noise isn't an issue why replace the Chieftec PSU anyway??

Save your money for a decent, half way modern Plattform. Why wait longer and not spend the money on an AM4 Board?

Oh and for an AM4 System with Mid Range graphics card, a 400W unit is plenty. 500W is something you can think about if you want a high end graphics card....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And their fans are amazing...
    ...ly weak!
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Fans and controllers -- put them to bed. PWM fans and let your motherboard send the signal. If you have a lot of fans, there are splitters powered by your PSU.
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Are you making fun of me? And didn't you state you're short on money?

Well, I'll state you bold: YOU DO NOT NEED OF A NOMINAL CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF 550W, NOT EVEN BY MISTAKE, NO MATTER THE OVERCLOCKING.
    Hmm... Damn you human U make too much sense. BTW I'm not short on cash I just earn very little :3

So:

550 / 96 = 5.72
    650 / 106 = 6.13
    750 /110 = 6.81
    850 / 140 = 6.07
    1000 / 170 = 5.88

So math says get the 750W. Would that be ok? Or should I definitely get the 550? It's a 14 EUR diff for 200 watts so it seems reasonable to get the 750W model.

You paid for the fan and the fan controller as well. If you can get something with an awesome fan and fan controller for a bit more, why not go for it?
    Or if you can get a better fan controller for the same price or less, why not go for it?

I have 3 (modern) Super Flower units here. All of them aren't that great in terms of noise. The electrical performance may be OK but that isn't an issue with most modern units anyway...

And you may not be concerned about noise right now but that might change as the noise of the room changes. Here where I live the loudest things are the trees outside. Ambient Noise overall is rather low...
    And tbh: I have had rather noisy PCs myself for years. But that was 20 yeas ago. The components you could buy as an enduser were loud as hell...
    For a silent PC you had to pay more. Those days are gone...

So why not get a really good PSU that is as quiet as it's possible -> be quiet are the best in this case. And their fans are amazing...

The Rest is still good, still I don't think the EVGA is worth the money with THAT fan controller. There are other units on the market that are better for the same price or less...

Are you kiddin me?!
    Why the heck do you want to buy an LGA771 CPU?! That just makes 0 Sense. That plattform is so shitty and old for todays things that it's not worth spending 1 cent (or polish gold) on it.

Save your money for a decent system and also the PSU.
    If noise isn't an issue why replace the Chieftec PSU anyway??

Save your money for a decent, half way modern Plattform. Why wait longer and not spend the money on an AM4 Board?

Oh and for an AM4 System with Mid Range graphics card, a 400W unit is plenty. 500W is something you can think about if you want a high end graphics card....
    1. Chieftec has issues. It powers on then it powers off for like 3 sec and then powers on again. Also it's 9yo with like no efficiency certificate, is not fully modeular, was living in a storms riddled part of the country and was not protected by any surge protector (now is tho). And the coils are playing an opera which is sorta cool actually.

2. I don't earn enough to buy Ryzen. Our salaries are like 1800-2500PLN.
    Ryzen PC costs 2402PLN (on amazon.de where it's cheaper that is). Would you pay 2402 EUR for a PC? I don't think you would xD

3. I have an C2D E8400 right now and I am extremely happy with it. I can play video encoded with X265 10bit at 4K res. Sadly the only game I actually occasionally play (LoL) seems to use and need 4 cores. So I need a quad core CPU hence i bought E5450 for 38 EUR. Ryzen 5 1600X is 267EUR. 267/38 = 7 which means that Even if Ryzen is 7 times faster it's still a decent deal.

4. I want to have Ryzen as much as the next guy but even if I was willing to shell out them 2402PLN I don't think it's the best idea right now. IMHO If you gonna buy a pc it's worth to w8 right now for 2nd or 3rd gen of Ryzen when AMD and Intel will compete with price cause right now Intel seems caught off guard by AMD's Ryzen success and they are already preparing an offense. But I bet you earn like 2000EUR (8428.09 PLN) so I must sound weird to you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

BTW I'm not short on cash I just earn very little :3
    Is there a difference? Can you spend the money you don't earn?

BTW I'm done, I am not here to clear anyone's bias, I think I gave you a relatively sound advice, if you don't want to follow it, well, it's up to your call.

So math says get the 750W. Would that be ok?
    I guess no.

You may be enough good in arithmetic, but your logic looks a bit flawed (the bias quoted above): 110 > 95, math says that, more watts (i.e. more watts you don't need and you won't use) don't mean anything different.

Do you still want a bigger unit, because for instance a bigger unit may feel you better? Definitely it's not my concern if you have no problem to pointlessly shell out 15 more bucks on the PSU, right?

2. I don't earn enough to buy Ryzen. Our salaries are like 1800-2500PLN.
    As above, if you're buying a 38 bucks CPU in order to save money, what about saving on the PSU for later, and pick a 410PLN RM550x (or a 95 euros one)?

Please note I don't need an answer, mine is a pleonasm, a rhetorical/redundant/moot question.

Have a nice time!
    Best, Luca