Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Antec HCP750 Pro problems / new PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Antec HCP750 Pro problems / new PSU

Hi everyone,

it seems my Antec HCP750 power supply is finally going down for good.
    There were problems right from the start, the system went down while gaming, especially when switching between full screen game mode and Windows desktop. When the system goes down a clicking noise from a relay occurs.

I opened a ticket with Antec Support (TicketID: 261277, RA13000048) and they told me to disable C6. It worked with this setting for another 2 years, after that the problem came back. I disabled C5 and got another few months, after that i disabled all C States and Speedstep, that helped for less than a week and now i have no more settings to disable.

Warranty for this unit is long gone of course, but is there some other bios setting that might help to get a few more months of life out of this unit?
    Surge Protection is off already.

Currently i am using a Asus Z77 mainboard, 2500K CPU, RX470 graphics card, 3 HDD, 1 SSD.

If there is no hope to get this power supply working, which one should I get as replacement? My budget is a little bit tight at the moment and i think i could get away with using a 450w power supply with that components and without overclocking, so i thought about one of these:

Seasonic G-450
    Corsair TX550M
    Antec TruePower Classic TP-550C
    Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520

Thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

If it really is a PSU problem, it should be fixed by Antec. The PSU had a defect inside warranty, so it should have been fixed before. We have an Antec rep here, so let's see what he has to say. The PSU comes with 5 years warranty btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    If it really is a PSU problem, it should be fixed by Antec. The PSU had a defect inside warranty, so it should have been fixed before. We have an Antec rep here, so let's see what he has to say. The PSU comes with 5 years warranty btw.
    I am quite sure it is a PSU problem because i replaced every single component of this system since i got that power supply

Z68 mainboard -> Z77 mainboard

i5 2500k -> other i5 2500k

AMD 4770 -> Geforce 660 -> AMD RX470

OCZ Vector SSD -> Samsung 850

Several HDD

And in 2014 i tested with a BeQuiet entry level PSU and had no problems with all C states enabled, but i believed the Antec answer in my support ticket.

I have no invoice for that HCP750 because I got it from Antec as a warranty replacement for a TP750EC and i have no idea if the 5 year warranty is still valid in this situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    113 Posts

In that case it must be a PSU problem. PSU probably doesn't like the fast drop in power. When you disable power states the drop gets lower, but because the power supply is getting worse and worse every time, this doesn't work anymore. You also disabled C1E?

I see you already made a topic here in 2014: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?p=106021 Antec should have send you another PSU back in 2014, because the original True Power was still under warranty back then.

So lets see what the Antec Rep has to say, otherwise the Seasonic G-series 450W, Corsair TX550M and Antec True Power Classic 550W are the best options. Probably Corsair is your best choice because that's the one with 7 years warranty, other two have 5 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Markus,

I found your ticket ID :-)

1- Disable with any PSU from anyone as many C-states as possible, they only cause issues
    2- Same for Asus Anti-Surge
    3- Make sure you have a new BIOS version
    4- If you can, add 2 case fans to increase minimum load of the system

Regardless,
    You wrote:
    "the system went down while gaming, especially when switching between full screen game mode and Windows desktop. When the system goes down a clicking noise from a relay occurs."
    You wrote back then, a BQ L8 worked fine for 6 hours.
    The switching part is somewhat irritating. That goes more into direction of whacky components/cnnection, though you have now updated all components.
    Is that still the case with the newer components?

5- Pull out all plugs, blow any dust out on both sides (system & PSU) and re-connect firmly
    6- (I assume you have case fans. If you are running the system without fans, the high heat would/will kill all capacitors of all components over time, which would be in lin with your over time needs of disabling more C-States. If you don't have fans, use some.

If it is still "whacky", try another PSU but also try our PSU on a friends system. (See #6)

For warranty, you got the HCP as upgrade for an original TP, so your warranty is expired and our Europeans cannot honor this case.

quest for silence is offline Silencer & heathen relic of a human (™ by OW)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by camefromhell View Post
    My budget is a little bit tight at the moment and i think i could get away with using a 450w power supply with that components and without overclocking, so i thought about one of these:

Seasonic G-450
    Corsair TX550M
    Antec TruePower Classic TP-550C
    Antec High Current Gamer HCG-520
    Unless you're planning a Ryzen 7 1800X with a GTX 1080 Ti, you can get away with 450W with overclocking: so any of the above are enough.

BTW, can you link to your favourite e-shops and/or "local" online price comparator?
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi GI_Joe,

I've disabled all C-States, it helped for some time but the problem came back, next step was disabling speedstep and turbo, that means the cpu runs at it's base clock all the time. That last step helpeld for less than a week.
    Anti-Surge is off since i opened the ticket in 2014.

1 and 2 - check
    3 - Bios is the latest available
    4 - there are 6 fans in the system (not counting GPU fans)
    5 - will try that. But i re-built that system a few times since 2014 already.
    The case is still the same, it's a Silverstone Raven 2.

It seems that the power-offs happen whenever something changes the power requirements of the GPU (entering fullscreen, leaving fullscreen, taskswitching).
    Sometimes the system runs stable for 1 or 2 hours before going down. After restart, it happens as soon as i open any game. After some hours cooldown period i might get 1 hour of gaming again.
    I tried both 12V GPU connectors (is the HCP single or multi rail?).

6- there are 3 180mm fans on the base of the system, another 2 fans for the water cooling (push pull configuration) and another 120mm exhaust fan.
    The case is a Raven RV02 and the power supply seems to be well protected from CPU heat. The case is quite large. Also the exhaust side of the power supply is not used to cool the system, it is pointed outside (see here - not my system, just a random example: http://www.ethereality.info/ethereal...02-e_black.jpg)

I tested that PSU against a Asrock J3455 board and had the same problems, but J3455 consumes 10-15w only, i will try a larger system to be sure.
    My system works fine with a BeQuiet entry level PSU (even with speedstep, c-states and so on).

I am a little bit disappointed that this is not covered by warranty, it seems disabling C-states and anti-surge was never a real fix for my problem, it looks like it did only help to bury the problem until the warranty period expired.
    Last edited by camefromhell; 05-03-2017 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quest for silence View Post
    Unless you're planning a Ryzen 7 1800X with a GTX 1080 Ti, you can get away with 450W with overclocking: so any of the above are enough.

BTW, can you link to your favourite e-shops and/or "local" online price comparator?
    Local price comparison tool:

https://geizhals.at/?cat=gehps&xf=1119_3~360_450

BeQuiet power supplies are commonly used here (Austria), but i am not so sure if they are as good as Seasonic or Corsair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I am a little bit disappointed that this is not covered by warranty
    Antec might be to blame, but OTOH you were soundingly adviced by Stefan Payne three years ago (to RMA again the HCP).

it seems disabling C-states and anti-surge was never a real fix for my problem, it looks like it did only help to bury the problem until the warranty period expired.
    If you think so (and likely you got some valid clues), vote by your feet: get away from Antec (sorry Joerg), but in case, don't think other brands may be radically different.
    Best, Luca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Local price comparison tool:

https://geizhals.at/?cat=gehps&xf=1119_3~360_450

BeQuiet power supplies are commonly used here (Austria), but i am not so sure if they are as good as Seasonic or Corsair.
    First of all, TANSTAADB (There ain't no such thing as a dependable brand).
    As far as I know, Be Quiet support service is good in Germany: if it were so even in Austria, then Be Quiet is as good as those.

https://geizhals.at/?cat=gehps&xf=11...=p&bl1_id=1000

With reference to the above list, I didn't find the Corsair TX already adviced by The Mask, which is a good option and with the longest warranty.

If you wanna get away with the least amount of money, then I'd say:

If you want a quieter alternative (but a bit worse, performance wise) at a similar price level, then:

At a similar pricing of the Antec TPC/HCG (the most expensive options you considered) I prefer those ones (albeit each for different reasons):

Actually I'd have pointed out this one:

but probably your case (Silverstone Raven 2?) is just too big for its cabling.
    Best, Luca