Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Flower Leadex II Gold 1000W fan/fan controller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Flower Leadex II Gold 1000W fan/fan controller

Sup forum

i just got myself a Super Flower Leadex II Gold 1000W to get out of Corsair's never ending Coil-Whine RMA loop.

Running the PSU in eco mode it's dead silent until the fan starts to kick in, which occasionally happens even during "normal" Desktop use/2D Render, and once it does it "sounds" like the damn thing is spinning at full speed from the get go.

According to the label Super Flower put on the back of the box the fan gets active at around 58 - 60°C
    CPU is idling at around 24°C and both GPU's at 31°C so i highly doubt the case ambient temperature is even getting close to scratching Super Flower's lower threshold.

Never had a fan-noise problem with any of the Corsair AX units and i frankly don't mind my chassis pull or radiator push fans getting noticeable once the system is under load but during idle its killing the point of a low-to-no noise water cooling setup.

Reviews of the Leadex II are still rare on the interwebz considering its fairly new.

My personal experience is pretty much in line with what Kitguru's reviewer writes about the fan being "intrusive"
    According to them the Leadex II Gold 1000W is using a Globe B1352512HH dual ball bearing fan. (meh)
    Source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/po...gold-review/4/

A (German) site also reviewing the 1000W version lists the fan as FDB (no picture of the disassemble) and even praises how silent it is. (wo0t?)
    Source: http://www.gamezoom.net/artikel/Supe...Video_-38330-8

Another (again German) site reviewing the 750W version shows a Globe S1352512HH fluid dynamic bearing fan, they don't say much about the fan noise unfortunately.
    Source: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph...t.html?start=2)

Does anybody here own a Leadex II Gold (doesn't matter how much wattage) and can confirm/debunk what i am hearing?

tl;dr: Got Leadex II Gold 1000 - fan is awfully noisy - RMA yey or ney?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

The temperature sensor isn't measuring ambient temperature but the internal temperature of the PSU components. I would have to check, but the temp probe is most likely on a secondary heatsink inside of the unit. So that is where they get their 58-60C number from.

Unfortunately they can't give you an ambient intake number since dust build up, different airflow situations, as well as different input voltages can change that internal temperature by a large margin and those internal components are what needs cooling. Not the exterior housing of the unit.

Leadex II is supposed to have an FDB fan. Some reviewers did get units with 2BB fans though. It is possible that your fan is also of the 2BB variety which can be a pro and a con. 2BB fans are built on proven and reliable technology, they last forever but the noise profile isn't great to begin with and will go down as they age.

RealhardtechX (which has a great PSU review database btw) did a taredown of the Leadex II Gold 750w, their sample also had an FDB fan.

My suggestion is to RMA the unit. A noisy fan is a noisy fan, and any number of problems during manufacturing or transport can even turn quiet fans bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by defkev View Post
    Sup forum

i just got myself a Super Flower Leadex II Gold 1000W to get out of Corsair's never ending Coil-Whine RMA loop.
    Curious.... Which Corsair PSU did you have the coil whine issue with? AX?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

The voltage of the Fan COntroller when the fan kicks in is rather high. Somewhat arount 5-6V...
    And with a 2200rpm fan, you can expect something around 1000rpm - wich isn't silent at all.

Sorry to tell you but it seems you did get the wrong unit for whatever you wanted to do with it.

650/750W version is fine though. Not silent but not annoying either.
    And that's the one I've got

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

How you mount your PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just peeked through the back of the chassis and of-fing-course the fan has a yellow label (just like the Kitguru unit) so it's a 2BB...which at least explains why i'm hearing what i'm hearing

Why ever Super Flower intentionally ruins a otherwise perfect product by slapping in whatever fan Globe has in stock *arg*
    Guess i'm back on the RMA train.

@Tator Tot
    I suppose they are messuring temperatur somewhere close to the PCB of the PSU. So if the unit reaches +58°C under low load and i can't blame it on the ambient temps within the closed chassis it has to run awfully inefficent in my book.

@jonnyGURU
    Yes, AX860 to be precise, four in total, all emitting a high-pitching noise after cold start like someone was torturing a mouse, would eventually vanish once the "mouse-part" heated up.

@Stefan Payne
    Unfortunately 750W wont cut it for me, all in all load peaks somewhere around 770W so need 860W at least, wanted to play it safe thus the 1000W version.

@none77
    Still using my trusted Corsair Obsidian 800D so mounted at the bottom, upside down, fan pulling in.
    Last edited by defkev; 04-15-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

@Tator Tot
    I suppose they are messuring temperatur somewhere close to the PCB of the PSU. So if the unit reaches +58°C under low load and i can't blame it on the ambient temps within the closed chassis it has to run awfully inefficent in my book.
    As I said before, they usually measure the secondary side heatsink for fan temps and that temperature by no means says the parts are at all inefficient. In fact, it's rather common for the internal temperature of a unit to be hotter than the ambient by a significant margin. Power Supplies are no where near 100% efficient so all of that wasted power (10-13% in the case of Gold units) is turned into heat. That's just normal behaviors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I used to use a Seasonic on my test rig that had a fan (I go fanless now). At times the fan would turn on for a few tens of seconds, then turn off. During those fan spurts, the apparent RPM would be high. and you could hear a definite soughing sound. From your experience and mine, I infer that when hybrid fan profiles call for a spin-up, they go high-rpm on us. How long did your fan spin?
    CPU: Core i7 8700k, HT enabled, all 6 cores OC'd to 4.8GHz, Vcore = 1.24v
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 with one NF-A15 1500 RPM PWM fan
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370X Aorus Gaming 7
    RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 16-18-18-36@3200MHz, Vdimm = 1.35v
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X
    SSD1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB TLC; SSD2: SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1TB 3-bit MLC
    HD: WD 500GB (old); Case: LIAN LI PC-7H Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
    PSU: Seasonic Platinum 660W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

@none77
    Still using my trusted Corsair Obsidian 800D so mounted at the bottom, upside down, fan pulling in.
    If the fun is down when it don't spin, the heat goes up to the PCB, you should flip the PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd take a DBB over a FDB/rifle/Sleeve any day